Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Happier than any other year

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
I voted "probably not as happy" because I doubt large gatherings will be able to happen. Still very happy, but not quite on the level of any other year.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Needs the option: More happy than another year
Ha i thought about adding it but that is just not truthful, there is no way someone is going to be happier with a cup this year than another year unless that year was a lockout 1/2 season or something

OK I just added it but it is at the bottom and out of place since it was a late add

Reactions: Gains

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Only down side would be the inability to safely do a parade. On the flip side, the emotional lift of a Cup win in a really crappy time like this might make it even greater.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'll be so mad, let me tell you. Whichever team wins should be forced to give up future draft picks, and have no bragging rights. Like... ridiculous that anyone could even celebrate their team winning a championship after only playing 80% of the season... major asterix........... I'll probably no longer be a fan if we win.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs were 85ish% to make the playoffs

now its like 50ish% to get into rd 1.

If they win 19 games I'll be the maximum amount of happy.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think the only scenario where you might put an asterisk on it is if the team that won was effectively out of the playoff hunt and got in because of the change, otherwise it's a small enough difference that I wouldn't worry about it

montreal,chicago,zona..maybe minny.

20 teams would have been ideal and not seemed like a cash grab. chicago and montreal being 23 and 24 and cash cows makes it sketch

Reactions: Randy Randerson

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I don't know...

I mean, sure I'd feel happy, hockey is back, even if it's illegitimate hockey, and I always support my team, but... Victory of a team that normally wouldn't make playoffs would be the best summary of this farce...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

20 teams would have been ideal and not seemed like a cash grab. chicago and montreal being 23 and 24 and cash cows makes it sketch

Why though? Those teams being 24th, 23rd and 22nd means they suck. The top teams should have no problem beating them. And if they dont - too bad for them losing to lesser teams, and full merit to the winner for winning 5 rounds of hockey.

These built in excuses are super lame

Reactions: Tuggy

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Cup has been awarded under all kinds of circumstances. Some ideal, others not so much.

~Arbitrary challenge submissions - Pre NHL, and Cup challenges were accepted at the whim of the Stanley Cup Trustees.

~World War I - Many top players fighting overseas.

~World War II - Many top players fighting overseas.

~Six team league - Nobody but the “Original Six” allowed to compete for the Cup. Very unfair to many players and teams that might have been good enough had more competition been allowed.

~Twelve team league with one entire division made up of expansion teams - A total joke of a playoff format and to date the dumbest thing the NHL has ever done. And that’s saying something.

They all count. Each one as much as the next.

I would very much just like the playoffs to start using the standings as they are and go with the usual format in place. However, the NHL seems like it will use a different format this year, and the Stanley Cup Trustees will sign off on it.

If the Bruins win the Cup this year, I’ll remember the circumstances of the win, but I certainly won’t think less of it. Everyone’s all in the same boat, and all this certainly isn’t any fault of the Bruins. It is what it is.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Of course they will.

If Leafs win - 10 years from now people will say "yeah, that Leafs cup drought is over"
If Caps win - 10 years from now people will say "Yeah, it took a while to overcome the bad luck with no past 2 rounds, but eventually Ovi won 2 in 3"
If Pens win - 10 years from now people will say "Yeah, remember when Pens won 3 in 5? Does 3 in 5 qualify as dynasty or not?"
If Rangers win, 10 years from now people will say "Yeah, i'm so happy Lundqvist finally won his cup, well deserved"

And so on.

Maybe in the moment some people will question this year's playoffs (as many on here already are). But 10 years removed - it will be remembered as a cup, as any other.
Couldn't disagree more with this but only time will tell. Many still consider the 99 NBA championship tainted and that was just a shortened season.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Mixed: because I won't be able to celebrate and cheer with everyone. It wouldn't feel the same at all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Cup has been awarded under all kinds of circumstances. Some ideal, others not so much.

~Arbitrary challenge submissions - Pre NHL, and Cup challenges were accepted at the whim of the Stanley Cup Trustees.

~World War I - Many top players fighting overseas.

~World War II - Many top players fighting overseas.

~Six team league - Nobody but the “Original Six” allowed to compete for the Cup. Very unfair to many players and teams that might have been good enough had more competition been allowed.

~Twelve team league with one entire division made up of expansion teams - A total joke of a playoff format and to date the dumbest thing the NHL has ever done. And that’s saying something.

They all count. Each one as much as the next.

I would very much just like the playoffs to start using the standings as they are and go with the usual format in place. However, the NHL seems like it will use a different format this year, and the Stanley Cup Trustees will sign off on it.

If the Bruins win the Cup this year, I’ll remember the circumstances of the win, but I certainly won’t think less of it. Everyone’s all in the same boat, and all this certainly isn’t any fault of the Bruins. It is what it is.

The world war 2 cup is an example of when many top players were gone so it wasn't a level playing field. So if you want to count that for "less" - fine. I think some certainly count some of the stats/ross trophies with additional context those years.

But this year - everyone is on the same playing field.

If anything - had they *not* expanded the playoffs - maybe Islanders win and Rangers fans would be adamant it deserves an asterisk because Rangers were on a roll and 100% take their playoff spot in 82 games and also have their number so would beat them head to head. Allowing more teams actually eliminates the need for an asterisk.

No excuses. Eveyrone who shoulda/woulda/mighta been in the playoffs - is in. Habs, Hawks and Coyotes got lucky. But - they still are all 3 very mediocre teams who have to go through 5 rounds. If rest of league cant stop/eliminate them - too bad. They deserve to win

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Happier than any other year because any other year it would not be possible for the Hawks to make the playoffs at their current spot in the standings.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It will be as great as any other season, still have to win 4 tough rounds to win the cup, once the play-in is complete.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Decently satisfied - it will always linger on with a what if... it were the standard postseason.

This is a tournament, not the Cup however, and if one of the extra teams win by a miracle it will absolutely be worthless.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Just imagine teams all duke it out, and we're down to the final, and then a few players on one of the teams tests positive for covid-19 and they have to shut it all down on the spot.

What a complete disaster that would be.

Shall we start a pool, and place some bets?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

ya that's basically what I'm seeing, if it's not one of those that wins then I have a hard time placing an asterisk even if the team that won gets an easier first and maybe 2nd round than they would otherwise have, they still have to go through 2-3 hard rounds

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It will be pretty lame TBH so i voted mixed.

Nobody will ever take this cup winner serious and all the hype around NYC for them advancing and winning the cup will be non existent. No home games at the garden, no explosive crowds for those big goals, no filling up bars to watch the boys. Meh just doesn't seem right.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This is the asterix season of all asterix seasons. More summer tournament than Stanley Cup playoffs. I'd be happy to see a win, but we all know its not the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad