How good of a coach is Bruce Boudreau?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
He should get a ton of credit for his work with the Caps, despite the playoff debacles. He took a team with a truly awful D corps and questionable goaltending and won a hell of a lot of hockey games. Peak Ovie certainly helped, but that D group was straight up rotten, and he somehow made it work.

That doesn't absolve the PO meltdowns, but it should be worth something.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
What makes him such a bad playoff coach What match ups decisions has he failed at I’m generally curious the whole crowd says he bad because da record and getting out coached. But are there legitimate coaching decisions he has failed at?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What makes him such a bad playoff coach What match ups decisions has he failed at I’m generally curious the whole crowd says he bad because da record and getting out coached. But are there legitimate coaching decisions he has failed at?

I'd argue it's more that he's a good coach and can get his teams to overachieve with his systems in the regular season, but in the playoffs when intensity ramps up and teams are playing tighter, his systems can't compete as well. I'd probably be in the minority.

Though I guess some of his matchups leave me wondering why as well.

Reactions: Goodbahd

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Very good coach who unfortunately always coached underachieving teams. Washington chokes every playoff, no matte who the coach is. Minnesota like Washington, can’t seem to make a deep drive regardless of the coach. Not sure what happened in Anaheim.

I think Boudreau and Kings would be a great fit.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The 2015 Ducks vs Hawks series. That series in my opinion it came down on coaching. He got outcoached by JQ. JQ wanted to avoid the Toews vs Kesler matchup and used Toews out against Getzlaf instead and then Toews went crazy the Last few games. BB did nothing about it and just let JQ have his way.

Horrible coaching by BB. That was the difference in that series. No cup for Ducks because of that

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
One of the very best. His teams have been plagued by mental fragility for too long now. All the proof we ever needed that he wasn't the problem in DC is rearing its head and the Ducks are not a hell of a lot better without him. If the Lightning fall short of a championship then Gabby is on my short list to replace Jon Cooper.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The 2015 Ducks vs Hawks series. That series in my opinion it came down on coaching. He got outcoached by JQ. JQ wanted to avoid the Toews vs Kesler matchup and used Toews out against Getzlaf instead and then Toews went crazy the Last few games. BB did nothing about it and just let JQ have his way.

Horrible coaching by BB. That was the difference in that series. No cup for Ducks because of that

In Boudreau's defense it was the right matchup. Getzlaf is the superior player to Kesler and can/should have been expected to produce versus the Toews matchup. Kesler on the other hand would no have and the Ducks would have broken even at best versus the Toews line and that's not a gamble worth taking. You roll with the guy who can shut down the Toews line AND score as well. I can fully understand why some disapprove of fighting fire with fire but sometimes it's all you've got.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I think he's an excellent coach. His teams always seem to overachieve. I think he's just as good as someone like Babcock but isnt fortunate as in having the right players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad