How good of a coach is Bruce Boudreau?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Much is made of his struggles in the post-season, but Bruce has a way of consistently getting his team into the playoffs.

Where would you rank him among the league coaches? Average? Top 10? Lower tier?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He is quite possibly the best coach to never make it past the 2nd round

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Very good
Won the division title in his first 7 seasons of being a full season coach
Made the playoffs every year of being a full season coach

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
my top tier coaches in no particular order
  • QUENNEVILLE
  • BABCOCK
  • COOPER
  • HITCHCOCK
  • JULIEN
  • SULLIVAN
  • LAVIOLETTE
  • TORTORELLA
  • VIGNEAULT
  • BOUDREAU
  • TROTZ

member 290103

He's good, as long as he is not coaching a team in the playoffs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
my top tier coaches in no particular order
  • QUENNEVILLE
  • BABCOCK
  • COOPER
  • HITCHCOCK
  • JULIEN
  • SULLIVAN
  • LAVIOLETTE
  • TORTORELLA
  • VIGNEAULT
  • BOUDREAU
  • TROTZ

I think Babcock is one of the best coaches for developing a winning culture and getting the guys to buy into a team, developing their skills, etc. However when the games are played, he has to be one of the worst in terms of philosophy (Refuses to put stars in positions to succeed such as limiting PP time and not stacking lines late in games), lineup choices (Playing plugs like Komarov over actually skilled players who compliment the teams game better), and in game decisions (Need for line matching over all else, failing to adapt mid game a lot of times and if he does, it's just demoting someone like Nylander to the 4th line and putting gud pro's up the lineup).

At this point he is a very good coach but doesn't deserve to be called one of the best until he proves he still has it and it wasn't just team Canada and all star quality Detroit teams.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The only current head coaches I would take over BB are Q, Babcock, Lavi, Sullivan, and Gallant.

On the flip side I would take anyone with a pulse over Carlyle.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he's an excellent regular season coach that'll get his teams to overachieve year after year

then he gets to the playoffs and his inability to make adjustments does him in

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
As the plan is to win the Cup, he is terrible. You could point a gun to his head and he would not make any adjustments to the line up after a playoff game loss.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Boudreau's a great coach in the regular season but he just can't keep up in the postseason when coaching really turns into a chess match. In each of the series that we lost with him at the helm, he was thoroughly outcoached over the duration of the series. He just doesn't adjust and adapt very well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad