How good is this UFA class compared to others?

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Seems NYI are willing to take the risk of losing him to UFA. Stamkos still signed with Tampa days before becoming UFA despite all rumors sending him with the Leafs. We also don't know what offers were made for Tavares before trade deadline.
The difference: Tavares plays for one of the worst GMs in professional sports. If Im him, im running as fast as I can in the other direction

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's a good looking UFA group but in saying that there's a player on pretty much every line/d-pairing that i think will stay with their current team. I'd just wait and see what it actually looks like come July 1st

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I see quite a few names that are likely to lead to regret in a few years so, yeah, fairly similar to most years.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Once you get past Tavares and Carlson (if he even makes it to July 1st which I doubt he will), this year's UFA class is terrible.

A few decent players after that, a solid 2nd line C in Stastny, and a few scoring left-shot wingers (Kane, JVR, Neal), but really is anyone clamoring for their team to hand these guys 6-7 year contracts?

As a Bruins fan I'll be watching Free Agent Frenzy on July 1st praying the Bruins stay away from the UFA market unless they are chasing on of the two biggest fish in the pond (Tavares and Carlson).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He signed before July 1 so he could have an 8 year deal. He negotiated with other teams though (or at least his agent did)

He would have been able to sign an 8 year deal even after July 1st providing it was with Tampa (the team he spent the previous season with).

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Let's wait and see who actually hit UFA status. I see Carlson, Perron, Neal, Kane and Thornton staying with their respective team. Good chance one of JVR or Bozak too. Tavares could involve in a sign/trade scenario too.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He would have been able to sign an 8 year deal even after July 1st providing it was with Tampa (the team he spent the previous season with).
Was this changed? I am pretty sure once you become a UFA, it doesn't matter which team you played with before - you are a UFA and the max is 7?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Some of the best high end talent available in a while for sure. Think it drops off a cliff after a group of maybe 5-6 players tho.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Take a gander at the 2019 UFA class.

Couture-Pavelski-Seguin
Panarin-E. Staal-Wheeler
Pacioretty-Duchene-Eberle
Skinner-Henrique-Simmonds

Karlsson-Doughty
McDonagh-Ekman-Larsson
Edler-Myers

Rinne
Bobrovsky

You can create a separate team with some of the names I left out from the remaining UFAs. Next year is going to be stacked, although I anticipate a few of the names listed will likely be re-sign with their respective clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad