How good is this UFA class compared to others?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I was thinking about what teams could potentially make the playoffs next year, but then I of course remembered that we don't know what the rosters are going to look like next year.

Then I looked at all the UFA's, and I realized...holy crap.

You could actually make a cup contender out of the guys on the UFA market alone this year (with players to spare).

van Riemsdyk - Tavares - Neal
Kane - Thornton - Nash
Perron - Stasny - Hansen
Calvert - Bozak - Grabner

Johnson - Carlson
de Haan - Green
Emelin - Cole

Halak
Hutton

is this normal? No, right?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I feel like the unusualness of having an elite 1C on the FA market is a big factor in how good the class is, but even still, this is an unusually fantastic year for wingers and for d-men who still have a good number of years left in them.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Looks pretty good actually. I would be curious to see what this team's salary cap would look like.

Hansen, Calvert, Emelin, Cole and the goalies likely wouldn't be too expensive. Could they make it work? Would be a cool exercise.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Tavares and Carlson elevates it through the roof, but it's pretty routine outside of that.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Wow, I actually thought Tavares had another year. Why didn't they trade him? Islanders were going nowhere.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Wow, I actually thought Tavares had another year. Why didn't they trade him? Islanders were going nowhere.

Seems NYI are willing to take the risk of losing him to UFA. Stamkos still signed with Tampa days before becoming UFA despite all rumors sending him with the Leafs. We also don't know what offers were made for Tavares before trade deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's definitely an above average class as of right now. We'll see if it stays this good come July 1st as a lot of these guys could/likely will re-sign.

I dont expect Carlson, Thornton, Kane, or Perron to make it to free agency. Possibly not Neal either. The rest probably make it but Tavares still has a very real shot of pulling a Stamkos and just ending up back in Long Island in the end as well.

Reactions: Yarbles02

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Tavares is the best UFA since Hossa, and he might be the best player to hit UFA in 20 years. John Carlson is among the best defensemen to hit UFA in that same amount of time. Those two players alone make this one of the best UFA classes I can remember.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Seems NYI are willing to take the risk of losing him to UFA. Stamkos still signed with Tampa days before becoming UFA despite all rumors sending him with the Leafs. We also don't know what offers were made for Tavares before trade deadline.

They'll recoup a nice 4th round pick for his negotiation rights in late June/early July

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Did Stamkos not sign after July 1? Thought he sat down with the Leafs... Or was that only in the negotiation period?

Either way that's a solid UFA group for sure, I hope Leafs can grab De Haan.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Even if you take Tavares out this is still a really good group.

If there ever was a year to change your team, it's this one.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's definitely an above average class as of right now. We'll see if it stays this good come July 1st as a lot of these guys could/likely will re-sign.

I dont expect Carlson, Thornton, Kane, or Perron to make it to free agency. Possibly not Neal either. The rest probably make it but Tavares still has a very real shot of pulling a Stamkos and just ending up back in Long Island in the end as well.
Idk i could see perron waiting to see if he could go back to the blues again

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tavares is the best UFA since Hossa, and he might be the best player to hit UFA in 20 years. John Carlson is among the best defensemen to hit UFA in that same amount of time. Those two players alone make this one of the best UFA classes I can remember.

I have a feeling that one if not both will be signed before July 1

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
As of right now it's a better than average class. Obviously it's a group elevated by Tavares and Carlson but there is depth too. In addition to the guys OP mentioned there is also Kovalchuk, Maroon, Vanek, Cole and some really solid role players like Riley Nash, Mark Letestu, Blake Comeau, Leo Komarov, and Jay Beagle.

Center
John Tavares
Joe Thornton
Paul Statsny
Tyler Bozak
Riley Nash

Left Wing
Evander Kane
JVR
David Perron
Thomas Vanek
Patrick Maroon

Right Wing
Ilya Kovalchuk
James Neal
Rick Nash
Michael Grabner
Blake Comeau

Defense
John Carlson
Mike Green
Jack Johnson
Calvin de Haan
Ian Cole

Goalie
Jaroslav Halak
Kari Lehtonen
Carter Hutton
Jonathan Bernier
Cam Ward

Reactions: kerrabria

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
For some reason with HF's hype i thought Doughty and Karlsson were both ufas this year. Had to go check capfriendly since they werent listed in this thread lol

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Did Stamkos not sign after July 1? Thought he sat down with the Leafs... Or was that only in the negotiation period?

Either way that's a solid UFA group for sure, I hope Leafs can grab De Haan.
He signed before July 1 so he could have an 8 year deal. He negotiated with other teams though (or at least his agent did)

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I think it's actually underwhelming especially if Tavares re-signs. Many older players in the group as well.

Vanek is 34
Thorton will be 39
Green will be 33
Rick Nash will be 34
Neal will be 31
Halak turns 33 today
Kovalchuk is 35
Lehtonen will be 35 in November
Ward is 34
Grabner will be 31
Bernier will be 30
Hutton will be 33 in December
Bozak is 32
Maroon is 30
Comeau is 32
Statsny is 32
Riley Nash is 29 but heading for surgery

I mean how much can you throw at some of these players in terms of years?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I was thinking about what teams could potentially make the playoffs next year, but then I of course remembered that we don't know what the rosters are going to look like next year.

You could actually make a cup contender out of the guys on the UFA market alone this year (with players to spare).

Kane - Thornton - Nash
Perron - Stasny - Hansen

Johnson - Carlson
de Haan - Green
Emelin - Cole

Halak
Hutton

Maybe the slowest team in NHL history is what you have there. And that goaldtening, woof.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It’s defibifely an above average class. A few years ago the top guys were Lucic, Ericsson, Nielsen, Backes, etc. to give some perspective.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ

Kane - Thornton - Nash
Perron - Stasny - Hansen

Johnson - Carlson
de Haan - Green
Emelin - Cole

Halak
Hutton

I'd be curious to see the average age of this years UFA class compared to other years.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
giphy.gif

One of the best in a while. Could be an exciting UFA season.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Yeah it should be interesting if tavares and carlson stay on the market. If they re-sign before July 1, it starts to look a lot more like a normal July 1. Some decent players in their 30s and some good role players.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

What if he pulls a Stamkos by signing in Tampa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad