How good is PK Subban?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I was watching the game with Sabres last night. Mostly the third period, and overtime. It's crazy everytime i see PK protecting the puck and deking with the puck... I think it's amazing. He can deke better than anyone and protect the puck no matter what, has some insane moves.

He doesn't do this all the time - it feels like he plays extremely conservative, and restrains from deking and carrying the puck most of the time. But every so often - he does so and looks great.

As fellow habs fans - i'm sure you all know exactly what I mean.

How normal is this? Can guys like Karlsson, and other offensive dmen in the league do just as good? Does Subban really stand out from the crowd in that regards?

I dont mean to compare Subban to Orr but - I know Orr could do that with the puck and then come. But as a fan who mostly watches Montreal games, Subban is the first habs player i've ever seen this good at at - and he's been doing it his whole career.

Thoughts? Is he really unique with his skills, or other offensive dmen all able to do similar things?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
An amazing skillset...but seems afraid to use it most nights, because his coach seems to hold him back...if PK was with the Sens, well, see Karlsson's offensive production...;)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
An amazing skillset...but seems afraid to use it most nights, because his coach seems to hold him back...if PK was with the Sens, well, see Karlsson's offensive production...;)

How does Karlsson's skillset compare to PK? Does he deke as much as PK, can he carry and protect the puck as well?

I don't watch enough of him, but am curious

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
His focus on playing conservative took some confidence out of him. For some fans out there it's the way to go, but imo when he used more of his skillset he was unpredictable and other teams were more afraid of him. When he plays with instcinct and passion (isn't it how a game is supposed to be played??)He is arguably the most spectacular player in the league. He is not the gamebreaker he used to be though.

Personnaly I like the version of Subban where he is everywhere on the ice. He gets under the opponents skin and it works. Let his play "mature" when he will age and won't be able to play like this anymore, but why slow him down right now?

It bothers some of his teammates? Well, these teammates should adjust, not him. This is what is best for this team.

I'm sick of the comparison with other Ds. This guy is unique and it's a damn good thing.

Still plenty of games left to play and a whole career to shine though.

Last edited:

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
When he's given free rein + added responsibility (a la Jacques Martin's system) he thrives.

If he's allowed to do what was able to under Martin, along with given the top PK role, the top shut down role (basically 30 minutes a game and the #1 on every single situation) I don't see why he doesn't win multiple Norris trophies.

Under Therrien, he's being stifled and shows on the ice.

One of the good things about having Gonchar and Allen on the team, they suck in most situations so Therrien is forced to play Subban more.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
MT Just let the guy spread his wings! I haven't seen the Subban that I saw last night in a while and it reminds you of how he can take over a game if he just plays the way he wants to.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Subban needs to mix it up more. That means playing like he did at times last night but, not playing like a wild man, outside of the system at every opportunity.

A lot of fans appreciate his wild play (myself included) but, uncontrolled play by Subban will not amount to the best Subban we can see.

Subban won the Norris in a season where his play was more controlled, overall. He used his team-mates better and was less predictable in his unpredictability, if that makes any sense….

A Subban that better chooses his moments will be a better D, a Norris candidate every year….

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Subban plays the game on instinct while Therrien and JJD want robots.

He is overthinking his offensive game especially on the PP. He is second guessing every one of his initial instincts which seems to put him a step behind.

It's very apparent this staff has no clue how to nurture offensive skillsets

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
He's great. If he ever gets someone to screen the goalie on the PP someday, his shots will start filling the back of the net.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Top 10 defenseman, could be Top 5

Could be top 1. No dman in the league possesses Subbans overall game when he's on save for Doughty who seems to not give a crap in the regular season.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
at least his corsi has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up this season, dunno if thats a good thing tho.. i liked old PK much more than neo PK :( #DangleWithdrawalSymptoms

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
His shot is damn good but not on target but his shot passes in front of net makes up for it. Accuracy can be improved his shot is a diamond to polish

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
at least his corsi has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up this season, dunno if thats a good thing tho.. i liked old PK much more than neo PK :( #DangleWithdrawalSymptoms

That's raise has more to do with linemates and relative team numbers. He no longer has to drag Gorges around the offensive zone, he's going to put up better numbers. He was still at his best during his Norris season when he was actually off his leash.

#LetPKBePK

Team's have adapted to his shot on the PP, they need to find a way to get sustained pressure near the net to offset that.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
We can say what we want about Therrien but Subban is not playing the way he played the last two seasons. Coaches are the same as they were, except for Gallant.

Who knows, he might just be adjusting his game. He's playing more minutes overall at this stage of the year then he used to. I remember many complaining about not using Subban enough at the beginning of last season and during his Norris year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Puck protection wise, he's right up there league-wide. Only player I see winning his one on one puck battles as regularly as him is Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad