How good is Frattin

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Someone has said he's like stafford mixed with oshie, those expectations are little high though imo. I'd say who ever is a sniper who is strong on their skates but doesn't have amazing hands is who he'll be like?

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Someone has said he's like stafford mixed with oshie, those expectations are little high though imo. I'd say who ever is a sniper who is strong on their skates but doesn't have amazing hands is who he'll be like?

He's really good at the NCAA level, no doubt about it. But he's also 23 years old playing against a lot of kids on a lot of nights. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a really productive player at the NHL level, nor would I be surprised if his game just doesn't translate as well at that level. At his age, I think you're going to have a decent feeling for his pro potential almost immediately whether it's in the AHL or NHL.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
I hope to see this guy in pre-season, but from all accounts he really sounds like a guy like Stempniak, as in a guy with a good shot, wrist or slap, moderate size but can handle himself reasonably physically, average skating and speed and not known for his defense. He seems to be more clutch though, so hopefully that translates to the highest level, something Stempniak lacked at it.

Boyes is also a comparison that seems right - average size, speed, good shot and not known for defensive play. I've never seen Boyes as too much of a character, physical player though.

If he can develop into at least a 20-goal scorer then he's a valuable pick. Offensive depth is key in this NHL, so any effective top-9 guy is valuable. Lupul may even be a good comparison, as he's a similar player to the others, although he's got some impressive hands. At such an advanced age Frattin I think would be only eligible for a two year entry-level, just in time to replace Lupul, who turns UFA in just as much time, and he is pretty much just a 20+ goal-scorer himself.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've only seen him a handful of times (under 5), but he reminded me of a bit of a bigger version of Gionta.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I hope to see this guy in pre-season, but from all accounts he really sounds like a guy like Stempniak, as in a guy with a good shot, wrist or slap, moderate size but can handle himself reasonably physically, average skating and speed and not known for his defense. He seems to be more clutch though, so hopefully that translates to the highest level, something Stempniak lacked at it.

Boyes is also a comparison that seems right - average size, speed, good shot and not known for defensive play. I've never seen Boyes as too much of a character, physical player though.

If he can develop into at least a 20-goal scorer then he's a valuable pick. Offensive depth is key in this NHL, so any effective top-9 guy is valuable. Lupul may even be a good comparison, as he's a similar player to the others, although he's got some impressive hands. At such an advanced age Frattin I think would be only eligible for a two year entry-level, just in time to replace Lupul, who turns UFA in just as much time, and he is pretty much just a 20+ goal-scorer himself.

Not saying he's amazing in his own end but your making him sounds like garbage sort of, when in reality he has relatively strong board play and is at the very least responsible in his own zone.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Not saying he's amazing in his own end but your making him sounds like garbage sort of, when in reality he has relatively strong board play and is at the very least responsible in his own zone.

I've never seen him dude, but just from what I've heard he really sounds like a Stempniak, who was passable defensively, and could do his thing to an extent along the boards. A description such as relatively strong board play and at very least responsible in his own zone sounds no more than Stempniak to me, and he was a valuable player for us, just one who made too many little mistakes defensively and always struggled to score - so if Frattin is just a little more responsible and has just a little better of a shot then we've got a valuable top-9 guy here.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I've never seen him dude, but just from what I've heard he really sounds like a Stempniak, who was passable defensively, and could do his thing to an extent along the boards. A description such as relatively strong board play and at very least responsible in his own zone sounds no more than Stempniak to me, and he was a valuable player for us, just one who made too many little mistakes defensively and always struggled to score - so if Frattin is just a little more responsible and has just a little better of a shot then we've got a valuable top-9 guy here.

Boyes is a great comparison. He lacks Stempniak's shiftiness imo.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He's really good at the NCAA level, no doubt about it. But he's also 23 years old playing against a lot of kids on a lot of nights. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a really productive player at the NHL level, nor would I be surprised if his game just doesn't translate as well at that level. At his age, I think you're going to have a decent feeling for his pro potential almost immediately whether it's in the AHL or NHL.

Agree. He was passed over in the 06 draft. If you can imagine what Toews would have done in the WCHA this year. It makes Fratttin look not that special.

Frattin has gotten noticably better every year. At 23 his competion has also on avergae been getting younger that last two years as well. I do not any one really knows if it is that significant improvement or if he will jsut join a long list of great upperclassmen goal scorers from college.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agree. He was passed over in the 06 draft. If you can imagine what Toews would have done in the WCHA this year. It makes Fratttin look not that special.

Frattin has gotten noticably better every year. At 23 his competion has also on avergae been getting younger that last two years as well. I do not any one really knows if it is that significant improvement or if he will jsut join a long list of great upperclassmen goal scorers from college.

Now that is just a terrible comparison. Obviously Toews would tear up NCAA, he is one of the best forwards in the NHL. That has nothing to do with how good Frattin is at this point in his career, nor does it make what he is doing any less special.

He is a late bloomer, and he obviously has the skill to play, as he is tearing up a league with many NHL prospects. Yes, he is one of the older players, and that does play to his advantage, but he will be given a shot somewhere.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Now that is just a terrible comparison. Obviously Toews would tear up NCAA, he is one of the best forwards in the NHL. That has nothing to do with how good Frattin is at this point in his career, nor does it make what he is doing any less special.

He is a late bloomer, and he obviously has the skill to play, as he is tearing up a league with many NHL prospects. Yes, he is one of the older players, and that does play to his advantage, but he will be given a shot somewhere.

This happens every year with some one.
Matt Frattin after is 36 goal 60 points
Jeff Taffe 34 goal 58 points
Ryan Potulny 38goal 63 points
Peter Sejna 36 goal 82 points
Brett Sterling 34 goal 63 points
Marty Sertich 27 goal 64 points
Shane Joseph 29 goal 65 points
Junior Lessard 32 goals 63 points
Noah Clark 21 goals 70 points
Jonny Pohl 27 goal 79 points
And may more...

All junors and seniors in the WCHA when those stats were posted. All got their shots and are all fringe NHLers. Frattin may very well be a regular one day. It just gets me when people are predicting 20+ goals and top 6 talent. I see him as bottom 6 energy guy that will go back and forth for some time.

sfo

Oct 13, 2008

First off, Toews would have graduated LAST YEAR if he stayed 4 years of college. Terrible comparison.
Secondly, college hockey is getting OLDER not younger. Most players now range in age from 18-25. I'd say the average age is 20-21. You can put in the age factor all you want, but the reality is very rarely do you see a kid just literally dominate the opposition night after night. He separated himself as the best player in college hockey. I watched him effortlessly split the D with relative ease at least five times this weekend. He doesn't get injured, he never gets knocked down.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
First off, Toews would have graduated LAST YEAR if he stayed 4 years of college. Terrible comparison. Secondly, college hockey is getting OLDER not younger. Most players now range in age from 18-25. I'd say the average age is 20-21. You can put in the age factor all you want, but the reality is very rarely do you see a kid just literally dominate the opposition night after night. He separated himself as the best player in college hockey. I watched him effortlessly split the D with relative ease at least five times this weekend. He doesn't get injured, he never gets knocked down.

Frattin and Toews should have been in the same draft year. Thats why i am comparing them.

Look at the list i posted above. Not exactly NHL super stars. The past hobey winners. Ryan Duncan dominated college hockey what team does he play for? Junior Lessard again what team? Peter Sejna all three are great NHLers because they dominated college hockey? Marty Sertich. Brian Bonin, Jason Krog, the list goes on.
There are some Hobey winners that are regulars. But I am not going to project a guy that not only is older but played a full year of junior after his draft year and is now playing his 4th in college. Four season removed from his draft year. he should have been drafted in 06. Making it 5 seasons removed from his supposed draft year.

I wish the wild had Frattin. he would be a nice fit to play with Clutterbuck, Brodziak, Almond or Madden and give our team some heart.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

This happens every year with some one.
Matt Frattin after is 36 goal 60 points
Jeff Taffe 34 goal 58 points
Ryan Potulny 38goal 63 points
Peter Sejna 36 goal 82 points
Brett Sterling 34 goal 63 points
Marty Sertich 27 goal 64 points
Shane Joseph 29 goal 65 points
Junior Lessard 32 goals 63 points
Noah Clark 21 goals 70 points
Jonny Pohl 27 goal 79 points
And may more...

All junors and seniors in the WCHA when those stats were posted. All got their shots and are all fringe NHLers. Frattin may very well be a regular one day. It just gets me when people are predicting 20+ goals and top 6 talent. I see him as bottom 6 energy guy that will go back and forth for some time.

Most of those were also well below 6 foot and/or had skating issues.

I don't think you can dismiss him so easily.

Yes, he is a little old to consider a blue chip prospect, but if Frattin was never drafted, teams would be lining up to get their hands on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad