How good does your skating have to be...

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
...to play the lowest level of midget hockey.

I'm 16 years old and have been a hockey fan my entire life, however I've never actually played on an ice hockey team due to the fact that I'm not confident in my skating. That being said, I've been playing ball hockey since the age of 7 and have been told by many coaches that I really have the hockey sense and skills and if I played ice hockey I would be one of the top players.

So my question is, how good exactly does ones skating have to be to even be able to compete in midget ice hockey? I can skate to a certain extent, but I'm not sure if its anywhere near enough to be able to play.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Having started minor midget as a first-time player and having a similar background as you, I can say that the absolute key to being a good player is good skating. That being said however, it is unrealistic for you to expect to be as good in ice as you were in ball haha.

The best tip(s) I can give you is to work (wobble, stumble whatever) your ass off in games and practises. Even though you may not be the best skater, everyone can appreciate a genuine good effort and care for the game. That's a quality some of the best players don't even have. Another is actually quite simple : practise makes perfect. Take as many opportunities as you can to go skate; be it drop-in shinny, free skate, outdoors doesn't matter. As time passes you will slowly be able to watch others and even teach yourself!

I've seen many other players in your position, just don't give up or be discouraged, as cliche as that is. Love it and live it.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
AIREAYE you said what I was going to say.

Midgets have normally played bantam, pee wee, squirt, etc their whole lives, it becomes second nature after that many years.

You can have MORE fun by doing open skate ($2 here in MI), drop in hockey, etc. until you have something substantial to offer. In games you are only getting 15-20 min. of ice time. Get out to the pond this year where you can have many hours free playing ice hockey.

Subnordi

Jul 17, 2011
New Brunswick
I didn't start until I was a first year Bantam, I'm in my 3rd year now, (Midget 1st year) and am honestly one of the better players on the team. I took a power skating course and skated every chance I got, it really helped, so I'd look into power skating.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
...to play the lowest level of midget hockey.

I'm 16 years old and have been a hockey fan my entire life, however I've never actually played on an ice hockey team due to the fact that I'm not confident in my skating. That being said, I've been playing ball hockey since the age of 7 and have been told by many coaches that I really have the hockey sense and skills and if I played ice hockey I would be one of the top players.

So my question is, how good exactly does ones skating have to be to even be able to compete in midget ice hockey? I can skate to a certain extent, but I'm not sure if its anywhere near enough to be able to play.

As long as you don't convince yourself you should be playing 20 minutes a game, you'll be alright. Go in with the expectation of not getting playing time and work your ass off in practice and then go out and skate whenever you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad