How good do you think Hertl will be in a few years?

akirayeung

May 19, 2015
Toronto
Hertl had an amazing rookie season at 25 pts for the 37 games he played. he showed sparks of brilliance which showed promise. Last season, he played his first FULL season and didn't do as well due to the "sophmore slump" that most rookies seem to go through. I know it's a little to early to tell, but where can you see Hertl in a few years in the Sharks lineup, assuming he doesn't get traded? And how good will he be be compared to the other players in the league?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He didn't do so well last season in large part because he was coming off a major knee surgery. I think he'll be our 2nd line center and a 5~0 pt. player in time.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think his skating will be the limiting factor in the long run. 50-60 points 2c with no improvement. 70 points offensive minded 1C if he gets to average skating.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Depends on how we use him.

He is a natural center but unless 1 hits the bricks I'm worried about his development.

Center: 2C
Winger: 2nd/3rd line

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
No way. It take him too long to get to top speed to be average

His first step is fairly slow but realistically he can pivot, hes strong on his skates, he changes directions well enough. His stride is awkward, he isnt overall slow when he gets there.

Im not sure how that isnt average.

I think he tops out at an average 2nd line center

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No way. It take him too long to get to top speed to be average

Exactly. This top speed is fine enough. But his acceleration is a problem. And to me, his balance issues are the most important.

I see 50 point #2C who is a dominant possession player.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

I don't think DW will give up on Hertl until he gets adequate amounts of playing time playing center. So glad Mclellan is gone, it felt like getting waterboarded every game last season seeing him on wing. Heres to hoping dw had a good talk w/ deboer about hertl the turtle going forward.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think DW will give up on Hertl until he gets adequate amounts of playing time playing center. So glad Mclellan is gone, it felt like getting waterboarded every game last season seeing him on wing. Heres to hoping dw had a good talk w/ deboer about hertl the turtle going forward.

This post confuses me. Hertl is 21, there is zero talk of DW "giving up" on him. Hertl will almost certainly start the season on the wing regardless of who coaches.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The emergence of Chris Tierney has all but nixed any chance of Hertl being a center until Jumbo is gone. This is a little worrisome, as these next few years are crucial for his development.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

This post confuses me. Hertl is 21, there is zero talk of DW "giving up" on him. Hertl will almost certainly start the season on the wing regardless of who coaches.

Its ok I know ppl give you a hard time here.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The emergence of Chris Tierney has all but nixed any chance of Hertl being a center until Jumbo is gone. This is a little worrisome, as these next few years are crucial for his development.

I hate this argument. How's Marleau, the guy who can't play wing, doing? How about Pavelski? Want him back on the third line, so he can play center?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Its ok I know ppl give you a hard time here.

???

I hate this argument. How's Marleau, the guy who can't play wing, doing? How about Pavelski? Want him back on the third line, so he can play center?

I get your point, but not every player is the same. Obviously Hertl can play wing. But unlike Marleau and Pavelski, I think Hertl would be much more valuable at center due to his size and possession ability. It's just a matter of preference. If we're trying to develop the most useful player, Hertl at center makes the most sense.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I get your point, but not every player is the same. Obviously Hertl can play wing. But unlike Marleau and Pavelski, I think Hertl would be much more valuable at center due to his size and possession ability. It's just a matter of preference. If we're trying to develop the most useful player, Hertl at center makes the most sense.

I have no problem with that belief. I would like to see it as well as long as it doesn't cause more of a problem icing the best team just to fit him in at center. I just don't buy into the "it's going to ruin his development" theory.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Why the hell would Hertl be traded? I think he takes a big step forward this year. He had up and downs last year in effort. He needs to bring it every night like he did to end the year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have no problem with that belief. I would like to see it as well as long as it doesn't cause more of a problem icing the best team just to fit him in at center. I just don't buy into the "it's going to ruin his development" theory.

I was thinking about the development thing for awhile and I think as long as he can play in the F2 role, his development should be fine overall and that's the role he has right now if he plays with Marleau and Couture. I wanted him to play as a C mostly because that's usually designated as the F2 role.

It would be an absolute waste for him to just be an F3 winger.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
His first step is fairly slow but realistically he can pivot, hes strong on his skates, he changes directions well enough. His stride is awkward, he isnt overall slow when he gets there.

Im not sure how that isnt average.

I think he tops out at an average 2nd line center

There's no doubt about his speed being average and his agility being top notch but the fact of the matter is the 1st step means a lot for a player to be successful in the current NHL era and his 1st step is no good when he doesn't have the puck.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Unless it is a problem with his feet or back, first-step issues are something that a power-skating coach can fix 95% of the time. He's never going to be Pavel Bure, but he should be fine.

They key thing going forwards will be if he can iron out those little mistakes in his game. He has that looseness with his game that partly makes him so explosive, but also makes him a target. It is a same with a lot of rookies, of course.

I am also interested in seeing how he is directed by DeBoer. T-Mac's philosophy seemed to be that every forward should be more-than-competent defensively, with a lot of emphasis on defensive reliability. I largely supported that view in the past, but I think other cases around the league have shown that such rigidity in thinking can undermine otherwise useful players. Hertl has enough creativity offensively, that giving him some rope might be worthwhile.

I can see a lot of the benefits of putting him at center. But, on the flip side, if you want to give him some more license offensively, he might be better served on the wing. Moreover, I really want the Sharks to have some speed down the middle. Thornton-Couture-Hertl-Smith isn't really a recipe for that. Tierney isn't exactly Mike Gartner, but it would be a start. Ideally, O'Regan/Chartier are firmly kept at the center position.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I definitely don't think keeping him at wing would "ruin" his development. But I do think that it would stop him from reaching his full potential.

But I do think that playing on Couture's RW would be an awesome place for him to start the year. I just hope he'll get some extended time at C sometime this year. It is unrealistic to expect no injuries from all of Thornton, Couture, and Tierney this year, and when one happens, I hope Hertl will be first in line to fill the void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad