How good do we think we are?

With all this are we a contender talk, where do folks rank us right now?

• Total voters

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I hate to say it because this team has an ass-load of talent, but, if we get dominated by the Avs, Vegas and the Wild with the remaining schedule, we are easily looking at a top 5-6 pick. Not many teams under .500

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Predicted we don't make it, still on track to botch it.

Sad, but it's a mental issue with this team. Not enough buy-in from the team. Too many passengers....

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sad to be right. Playoff team, but not good enough go deep run.

Another vision we will get swept I was right.

Pre-Game Talk: - Blues vs. Avs -- Round 1 Discussion

Hopefully this is wake up for Army our d-core isnt good enough. Admits his mistakes about Faulk, letting Pietro move. Adding garbage Krug. Hesitate move to get Scandella. You Krug 6.5mill.$ +Scandella 3.275mill.$ = 9.775mill.$ dead money. Use that money for top2 LHD.

We are forced to keep Faulk and cant afford to lose him to expansion draft. How Army has played his cards.

Bash me Army lovers once again me, I was wrong it was this franchise worst move to let Pietro walk and fill that hole with small crumbs of sh**s.

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
At the beginning of the season I really liked our team, adding hoffman. Injuries squeezed us too thin and then final straw of no Perron was crippling.
But back to the image of what our roster could have been this season and I considered us contendors. Healthy Gunner, Sunny, and then being able to play Perron and Faulk + top 6 getting warm to hot... that would have been cool. Key word "would".

Reactions: Ridge1982

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Not contenders if we don't get anything else to supplement ROR, DP, Sunny, and Binny.

The rest of the team is either hurt, disinterested, or misused.

COVID hurt this team in direct and indirect ways. It mostly killed any momentum coming off the Cup in 2019. Now we are swimming in mediocrity.

I see a lot of talk from the players, but not a lot of buy-in to put it all on the line. I see Thomas as the rulestick on this. I know he was banged up this season, but his playoff intensity SUCKED. I pick on Thomas, but I can throw in a bunch of other guys too.

IMO, Sunny was a guy who could inspire intensity on this team. He put it all out there and paid the price. Nobody else does that sans ROR. Losing Sunny hurt us more than we know.

Last edited:
Reactions: LogosBlue

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The poll reminds me I voted for Playoff Team - make playoffs but not good enough to win more than a round.

Two years ago, we had a team that came together when its back was against the wall. It was more than just talent, it was players knowing and performing in their roles and assignments, and being able to anticipate what each other were doing as a product of that.

Since the Covid layoff last year, the team has not been able to mesh like that. I don't know that it has as much to do with talent (or the "right" talent) as it does with roles. Or it may be that we have assembled a group of players that, for whatever reason, can't gel.

I'd like to think there was/is a plan in the moves made since the 2019 Cup. But, at the same time I am not convinced they weren't getting who was available at a point in time. Faulk is available. Things with Petro are up in the year, Krug is available. I've said it was almost like changes were made just so we didn't stand still......and not standing still is important. That's not giving Army a lot of credit, but the pieces do not necessarily fit the coach.

I'm not condemning Army, I just do not know the answer to my own question.

But all that aside, when I saw this team, the defense looked confused in our own end far too often. That may just be the personnel, it may be a product of the Covid season, I honestly do not know. My inclination is it is the personnel, but the last two seasons (one plus one additional playoff) were so disjointed, I can't say for sure. But, until that is fixed, we are distinctly beneath the level of the Avs or Knights. The Knights may be less relevant since we will probably be in different divisions next year. But we are not in that tier, and I am not convinced we are trending toward that tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The season went exactly how I predicted!

Not signing Pietrangelo is still one of the worse moves that I've seen a team make.
Well, except for the part about them missing the playoffs which you were so adamant about.

This board is weird. There are some Blues fans, and then there are a handful of guys that just seem to want to be able to say, "I told you so" regardless of the subject or the impact on the Blues. We have guys bumping ancient threads to dig out obsolete opinions and ridicule posters (sometimes subtly and sometimes not subtly).

It was cool to see the team fight hard to pull it together and comfortably make the post-season on a relative high. It was a total bummer to see the defense decimated by injuries and have Covid mess with the team AGAIN at just the wrong moment when they were facing the toughest opponent anyone faced in the first round. We were deprived of a hardfought series the Blues could have competed in. Full credit to Colorado for putting together a fantastic team, but a little context would be nice for all the "I told you so's" that are competing with each other for attention right now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The outcome was as expected.

The lack of motivated play so often throughout the season and playoffs was a bit surprising. I expected more fight even despite the injuries. Don’t get me wrong, there were stretches of inspired play (especially at the end of the season) but it waned way too often.

Our core players outside of ROR, Perron and Faulk were nowhere near acceptable. I don’t expect that either.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The outcome was as expected.

The lack of motivated play so often throughout the season and playoffs was a bit surprising. I expected more fight even despite the injuries. Don’t get me wrong, there were stretches of inspired play (especially at the end of the season) but it waned way too often.

Our core players outside of ROR, Perron and Faulk were nowhere near acceptable. I don’t expect that either.

I have to say, the younger guys sans Kyrou, really disappointed me. You would think they would want another Cup....but I couldn't tell. The intensity was not there.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have to say, the younger guys sans Kyrou, really disappointed me. You would think they would want another Cup....but I couldn't tell. The intensity was not there.
I think what looks like lack of fire and motivation is really lack of confidence. Call it "passengers" or what have you. But I think it was that little bit of tentativeness that creeps in when the doubts are getting bigger than the confidence. Not surprising given the circumstances, but still hard to watch.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think what looks like lack of fire and motivation is really lack of confidence. Call it "passengers" or what have you. But I think it was that little bit of tentativeness that creeps in when the doubts are getting bigger than the confidence. Not surprising given the circumstances, but still hard to watch.
Last year in the playoffs and the entire regular season and playoffs this year it far too often seemed that most of the roster, even the more experienced ones, were waiting for someone else to make a play.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Last year in the playoffs and the entire regular season and playoffs this year it far too often seemed that most of the roster, even the more experienced ones, were waiting for someone else to make a play.

Funny you should say that because I got the same impression. Usually, that someone was ROR, Perron, Faulk, or Hoffman.

As you can tell by my response a few posts ago, I have more questions than answers.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
the constant underperformer in both series?

Jaden Schwartz

Toodaloo 17

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think we make the playoffs, win a round, and are a tough out in the second. Probably best case scenario. 0% we make Cup Finals.
Even worse than I expected and I was called out for being too negative. You can’t replace Pietrangelo and Bouw with Krug and an AHLer and expect success. It was never in the cards. Faulk did an admirable job, but he’s not Alex Pietrangelo, and Parayko isn’t fit to hold Petro’s gear bag. What a gigantic disappointment 55 is. Has all of the tools to be a great Dman, and is content with being average. Blues need to find a way to rid themselves of Krug and that contract. That would be a major addition by subtraction even if it involved giving up a pick or prospect to get it done.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The season went exactly how I predicted!

Not signing Pietrangelo is still one of the worse moves that I've seen a team make.

When fans of OTHER teams on other forums are all saying it was a bad move, you know you f-k'd up.

The players we needed are the ones we didn't sign, let walk away or were retired, let's just be straight about that. And if Vegas wins the Cup, we will NEVER hear the end of it.

Saying all of that, I don't see the need of anything outside of tooling. Krug needs to go, period. Fight me on that if you want. 91 should be put on a thin leash and should be shipped out for value, he's got more issues than an injured groin and even if he didn't, the guy's made of glass now and he won't be the guy he was.

And if Schwartz walks, well, he walks.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Even worse than I expected and I was called out for being too negative. You can’t replace Pietrangelo and Bouw with Krug and an AHLer and expect success. It was never in the cards. Faulk did an admirable job, but he’s not Alex Pietrangelo, and Parayko isn’t fit to hold Petro’s gear bag. What a gigantic disappointment 55 is. Has all of the tools to be a great Dman, and is content with being average. Blues need to find a way to rid themselves of Krug and that contract. That would be a major addition by subtraction even if it involved giving up a pick or prospect to get it done.

If they can figure a way to make Colt mean, you got a sub-Pronger on your hands. The kid's got all the tools, he just needs to get mad.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
When fans of OTHER teams on other forums are all saying it was a bad move, you know you f-k'd up.

The players we needed are the ones we didn't sign, let walk away or were retired, let's just be straight about that. And if Vegas wins the Cup, we will NEVER hear the end of it.

Saying all of that, I don't see the need of anything outside of tooling. Krug needs to go, period. Fight me on that if you want. 91 should be put on a thin leash and should be shipped out for value, he's got more issues than an injured groin and even if he didn't, the guy's made of glass now and he won't be the guy he was.

And if Schwartz walks, well, he walks.

Tomorrow will be a better day.
How would that be different than what is happening now?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
How would that be different than what is happening now?

It doesn’t make it any less true. Hell, Krug + Scandella’s contract = Petro and that’s real addition through subtraction, let’s be real about that.

But to answer your question because you couldn’t be bothered to also bold the previous sentence: If Vegas doesn’t win the Cup, this will die over time but if they DO win the Cup, you really won’t hear the end of it and that’s the truth.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
The team is about what I expected despite the journey being more convoluted than I thought it would be.

I’m really not excited for the team’s future given the long term contracts that are on the books and the expiring contracts that will occur within the next two years.

Reactions: mk80 and The Note

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We are in a bad spot. We have too many guys with long-term, expensive contracts who aren't producing as well as we want. So how can we get better? I hope the answer isn't to rebuild thru the draft - I'm too old to wait that out.

Could I root for another team? Could I join Antifa, or a different religion?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad