How good could Hamonic get?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I assume you meant "Good"?

Hammer imo will become a top shutdown defensemen who can carry the puck and add a bit of offense....We all used to think Weber when thinking of Hammer but I don't see that type of Offensive production....He will most always be going against the opposing teams top offensive forwards so that will be his first priority....as far as point totals Im not sure there is a solid number anyone can come up with because that all depends on Hammers mind state...The offensive skill is there for him to put up decent point totals but I think he knows that he is counted on more as a rock for us so he puts his energy into that..

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I assume you meant "Good"?

Hammer imo will become a top shutdown defensemen who can carry the puck and add a bit of offense....We all used to think Weber when thinking of Hammer but I don't see that type of Offensive production....He will most always be going against the opposing teams top offensive forwards so that will be his first priority....as far as point totals Im not sure there is a solid number anyone can come up with because that all depends on Hammers mind state...The offensive skill is there for him to put up decent point totals but I think he knows that he is counted on more as a rock for us so he puts his energy into that..
I see him more as a Brooks Orpik. I really don't see big offensive numbers in his future.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Shutdown defenseman able to take on the best forwards in the league. I don't see him bringing top pairing offense though.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I just hope he gets better than he has been so far this pre season.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I see a top pairing physical shut down defenseman capable of contributing on the second powerplay unit and make a good breeakout pass.

Offensively maybe 10 goals + 25 assists = 35 points.

A mix between Seabrook and Orpik is something I see. Absolutely love Hamonic.

startainfection*

I see a top pairing physical shut down defenseman capable of contributing on the second powerplay unit and make a good breeakout pass.

that is pretty much what he already is, i think he will be a top 10 dman in the league and out of that top 10 he will be like 4th best defensively

scott99

May 13, 2005

I always saw Hamonic as a poor man's Scott Stevens or Dion Phaneuf. The way they were talking about him in junior, I thought he'd be that. BUT, he doesn't have that ferocity i was hoping he'd have where, like Phaneuf, you have to keep your head up when you are on the ice. I don't want him to be dirty like Phaneuf, just to provide that ferocious play. Also, since his last two season in juniors, he averaged about a point per game, so I expected him to score more. He has a canon of a shot, and if he can ever get it on net, he will score goals, or cause rebounds. Also he's a good skater.

BUT, right now, he reminds me of Dan Giarardi of the Rangers. A good quiet shutdown D-man. Not physical enough for my liking. He's closer to Andrew MacDonald than he is to Phaneuf. I thought he'd be a feared d-man, but he's not that type.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Seabrook and Orpik hit more than Hamonic, they crunch people on a regular basis.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I see him most likely rounding out into a Willie Mitchell type, though it is possible he does achieve greater than that.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
He reminds me of a little bit of Girardi and Seabrook right now. Who knows if his offense will improve or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
between Mike Komisarek and Shea Weber, for sure.

:)

It's impossible to project defensemen. Tyler Myers looked horrible last year, on the Ty Wishart express. Zach Bogosian has been up and down. People even think PK Subban is better than Drew Doughty after a year.

Hamonic will always be loved because of how he plays - tough, physical, rises to the occasion against top opponents. His game has a ways to go with consistency and adding offense...but he's got a lot of untapped potential.

He's not a great skater, but good enough. He's not a great passer (as in first pass out of the zone) and he doesn't carry the puck very well but doesn't cough the puck up (like Komisarek) and is pretty good at clearing the puck away from danger. So there's work to do there. On offense, I thought he'd be better but it's still early. He's got a hard shot but rarely hits the net. He's been used very sparingly on the PP, with Andrew MacDonald (mainly because the Isles had few options in recent years) but probably not someone who'll develop an offensive game (like a PP QB). I'd expect players like Pulock, Donovan, deHaan would be way ahead of Hamonic in the long term and Visnovsky, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and even Ryan Strome be options before Hamonic is used there.

Seabrook is a decent comparable and potential upside but Hamonic is a bit meaner and more physical with Seabrook being much smoother and more polished all around.

OrangeZebra

Unregistered User
Mar 3, 2011
New York
That makes no sense, Hamonic plays the right side, Reinhart plays the left side. How would he push him off the top line?

That's not the point. The point is, is that I think Reinhart will pass Hamonic on the depth chart by the time we move to Brooklyn. Hamonic seems like a career #3 to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Korean*

I always saw Hamonic as a poor man's Scott Stevens or Dion Phaneuf. The way they were talking about him in junior, I thought he'd be that. BUT, he doesn't have that ferocity i was hoping he'd have where, like Phaneuf, you have to keep your head up when you are on the ice. I don't want him to be dirty like Phaneuf, just to provide that ferocious play. Also, since his last two season in juniors, he averaged about a point per game, so I expected him to score more. He has a canon of a shot, and if he can ever get it on net, he will score goals, or cause rebounds. Also he's a good skater.

BUT, right now, he reminds me of Dan Giarardi of the Rangers. A good quiet shutdown D-man. Not physical enough for my liking. He's closer to Andrew MacDonald than he is to Phaneuf. I thought he'd be a feared d-man, but he's not that type.

I hope you mean Dion Phaneuf from Calgary and not Toronto.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
That's not the point. The point is, is that I think Reinhart will pass Hamonic on the depth chart by the time we move to Brooklyn. Hamonic seems like a career #3 to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

He already is a 2/3 defenseman right now, your underrating Hamonic. The guy just turned 23...

You're also overrating Reinhart just because of his preseason play, which doesn't mean too much for me.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
If he actually hit the net like he did last night, he could be in for a nice season offensively. Two nice slappers that set up tips by JT and Bailey, instead of the usual booming slapshot that goes a mile wide. I hope his game last night was not a fluke.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
If he actually hit the net like he did last night, he could be in for a nice season offensively. Two nice slappers that set up tips by JT and Bailey, instead of the usual booming slapshot that goes a mile wide. I hope his game last night was not a fluke.

Most of his shots last year were wrist shots from the point looking for a deflection, which he did way too often. He really didn't take too many slapshots and when he did many of them were blocked.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I see Travis on the same relative trajectory as Chris Pronger. Chris was more physical and added a better offensive element during his development thanks in large part to playing alongside of Al MacInnis, and that, I think, will be the key part of his stepping into a top 2 role on this club. He is a perfect #2 to provide the defensive element to allow a real #1 to flourish. I understand the temptation to lump two units into a top shutdown pair and top offensive pair, but there is no reason we can't have a pair that is great at both. You want your top pair out there, and capable/deserving of 25+ minutes a night.

Seabrook is a great example of this. He is mobile enough to qualify as a top pair player, but brings the defense to that line. He doesn't have the mean streak of Pronger, but is physical just because of sound checking and body mass, let alone picks his spots very intelligently. Would Keith be the player he is without Seabrook? That is a good question.

I am disappointed that some in here don't see any value to Hamonic's offensive game though. All that needs is the proper development to emerge. I am betting it will emerge provided this club finds an answer to the question of a real #1.

My only fear is that Snow sees Hamonic as the future #1. That would be a huge mistake at this moment in time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad