Speculation: How far are we from winning the cup?

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Realistically, with Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller up front and some recent draft picks as well and Subban, Gorges, Tinordi, Beaulieu on the back end and Price in goal, how are are we from winning the cup?

I think we are at least 3 seasons away from being a contender in the finals because at that point we will also have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Thrower, McCarron, Thomas, Collberg, De La Rose etc. playing in the NHL (hopefully).

Maybe even Fucale ;-)

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
A functionnal 4th line and bottom pairing.

They were within one goal of both San Jose and St Louis, who are both powerhouses.

So if Bergevin was to wake the **** up and trade for a good 4th liner and a good bottom pairing D, the Habs would be in business.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
We lack size, we lack goal scoring ability in our top 9 and bigger defence.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I don't think we'll win a cup until the defense is upgraded. Other than this it's a pretty solid team with some concerns with physicality.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
A functionnal 4th line and bottom pairing.

They were within one goal of both San Jose and St Louis, who are both powerhouses.

So if Bergevin was to wake the **** up and trade for a good 4th liner and a good bottom pairing D, the Habs would be un business.

Not buying this. Role players are rarely the problem.

Our fourth line is fine with Moen and Prust on it. Ideally we would upgrade the fourth line centre from Desharnais, obviously :naughty:

We have a perfectly decent bottom pairing D. But they are currently the 3/4 D....

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
We need 1 dominant forward and 1 top 4 d-man to put us into the ''contender'' department. Eller,Pacio,Pleks are not dominant forwards, Galchenyuk has the potential to be that guy but still...

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Not buying this. Role players are rarely the problem.

Our fourth line is fine with Moen and Prust on it. Ideally we would upgrade the fourth line centre from Desharnais, obviously :naughty:

We have a perfectly decent bottom pairing D. But they are currently the 3/4 D....

Parros played less than 25 minutes this season and he is -5, so yes, he is a problem. I agree that Prust - White - Moen is a good 4th line, but I like having Prust on the 3rd line, so a guy like Halpern would be great.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
It's hard to say, because it really depends on how management deals with free agents (its own and those on the market) in the next couple of years. I still look at our team and think it needs to get blown up, as in getting value for our vets and bringing up the youth together. I'd hold on to a couple of older players that are glue guys perhaps, maybe two of Markov, Gorges and Plekanec, and dump the rest (if possible). I identify the following players as guys you can build around: Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher, Subban, Price, Bournival, Emelin and Pacioretty (but i'm losing faith a bit). Everyone else on the current roster are either old and expensive or role players.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think the 2nd D pairing is weak. Not sold on Gorges-Diaz-Emelin combo but we'll evaluate better when Emelin gets back. They might need to pick up a solid rental Dman though.

Otherwise the Habs are arguably a top 10 team in NHL that should be able to go deep in playoffs. At that point injuries, goaltending & match ups become biggest factors.

The Habs have enough talent up front, performance is a question though but the talent & depth is there.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Parros played less than 25 minutes this season and he is -5, so yes, he is a problem.

Explain how it's preventing us from winning the Stanley Cup? How much will Parros play in the playoffs?

I agree that Prust - White - Moen is a good 4th line, but I like having Prust on the 3rd line, so a guy like Halpern would be great.

You seem a bit confused. You start by saying the fourth line needs upgrading, now you want to promote members of the fourth line onto the third line....

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Explain how it's preventing us from winning the Stanley Cup? How much will Parros play in the playoffs?

You seem a bit confused. You start by saying the fourth line needs upgrading, now you want to promote members of the fourth line onto the third line....

You're cherrypicking because you don't agree with me. Stop acting like a child or I'll simply stop wasting my time with you and put you on my ignore list.

I said I think Prust is more effective as a 3rd liner than on the 4th line and to replace him, Halpern would be great. Also, I agree that Parros won't be playing in the playoffs, but you said role player weren't the problem, and I proved you wrong by saying Parros, who is very much a role player, was a problem.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
We'll need to find 3 players, with size, grit, skills. One of them will have to be an elite goal scorer and a good defensman who could log 25+ minutes.

A comparaison? Chicago with Hossa, Sharp, Bickell and Seabrook. That kind of players. I could see McCaron, Charles Hudon and De Larose becoming our Andrew Shaw, Brandon Saad and Bryan Bickell but still far from it in my own opinion.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Another top 5 draft pick skilled winger, younger #2 D and size all around. A drouin or a Seth jones and we'd be contending in the next couple years. Also by moving other pieces last year at the deadline like Ryder for 1st... Would've been scary good in less than 2 years

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Habs are pretty far from winning the Stanley cup. They need a number 2 d-man to replace Markov, they need a top 6 powerforward and they need Galchenyuk to be a dominant player (65 + point per season). The Habs are at least 3-4 years away to be a Stanley cup contender.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Missing a dominant offensive winger to play with max and galchenyuk in the future.

As good as Gallagher and Pacioretty are having a Vanek/Ryan type of player would really set us apart. I'd obviously take a Kane/Perry/Ovechkin/etc... but I went a tier below for more realism.

I hope that with prospect pool depth we can make a deal for a player of that nature.

With Bourque, Bournival and others rounding out the top 9 and Moen/Prust type of guys on the 4th line it's hard not to like our forward make up.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Replace Gionta with a real sniper. Need someone who can shoot the ****ing puck with confidence and accuracy.
Get Pacioretty and Galchenyuk taking better quality shots and gain confidence.
DD and Boullion never play another game.
Hope Briere continues to be clutch in the playoffs.
Everyone stays healthy.
Emelin plays good after this injury.
Price needs to be good in playoffs.

Chances of all those things happening together are pretty slim.
Still need a top 2 D man as well.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
At around 2016-2017, I predict the roster looking something like this:

Pacioretty - Bournival - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Collberg
Prust - Vail - Andrighetto
De la Rose - White - McCarron
Thomas/Hudon

Subban - Beaulieu
Markov - Emelin
Nygren - Tinordi
Dietz - Gorges

Price
Fucale

Players you don't see:

-Predicting that Eller will be traded or will sign an offersheet in 2014 that Montreal will not match
-Plekanec, Moen, Bourque will probably be traded before their contract expires or not resigned
-Desharnais will be bought out at the 2014 off-season and Briere will not be resigned

I think we will keep this roster when the time comes and win the cup in 2017 or 2018.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
At around 2016-2017, I predict the roster looking something like this:

Pacioretty - Bournival - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Collberg
Prust - Vail - Andrighetto
De la Rose - White - McCarron
Thomas/Hudon

Subban - Beaulieu
Markov - Emelin
Nygren - Tinordi
Dietz - Gorges

Price
Fucale

Players you don't see:

-Predicting that Eller will be traded or will sign an offersheet in 2014 that Montreal will not match
-Plekanec, Moen, Bourque will probably be traded before their contract expires or not resigned
-Desharnais will be bought out at the 2014 off-season and Briere will not be resigned

I think we will keep this roster when the time comes and win the cup in 2017 or 2018.

:laugh:

You're going to get ripped apart for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad