Beginners: How easy is it to get a concussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eigenspace

Feb 6, 2015
Hi. I am a 21 years old beginning hockey player. Earlier in practice I got taken off-guard and checked hard into the chest, and it felt like my head shook quite violently but without hitting anything. I felt fine (no dizziness or anything) and just got up and continued to play, but it got me thinking about the risk of getting a concussion. Could some of you please share your experience with me?

So how easy is it to get a concussion even if your head doesn't hit anything? And will you know it when you do get a concussion? That is, what if you don't feel dizzy, foggy and so on? Could you still get a concussion? I ask cause I heard from my teammates that they've taken heavy hits before, yet none of them say they have had a concussion. Seems strange, perhaps they just didn't recognize it?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Oh jeez, it really depends man. We're treading into medical territory here where research is still progressing.

I suggest you do some basic Googling on the topic, some credible clinical sites will give you much better info as supposed to here. Try the Mayo Clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad