Toronto
Time to move on guys lmao

1699713405560.png

Reactions: bax and HolyCrap

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Currently, we are paying with a wasted season... it'd be nice if he moved some of these terrible contracts (likely with an asset attached) quickly.

If Treliving admits his mistakes (we can wait a little longer to see if they will turn it around but not much), and salvages the season, I'd be very happy that we have a GM who puts the team first and doesn't care how he looks.

We might end up putting Klingberg and Reaves in the minors and that will be like 4 million in dead cap. I fear for Mess and a few others if this happens, they obsess over the cap so much, that I can't imagine what this might do to them health wise...
It is another wasted season. There’s no excuse for this team not opening their window to being a legit contender last year
But here they are still rebuilding heading Matthews’ third contract.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Not going to lie, the title lead me to believe it was an athletic blog but it’s clearly not. Lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Such a brain dead article, thank Christ Murray is on long term, which is pure luck. So shrewd lol.
Dubas lets Campbell walk so he can sign UFA Mrazek for 3 years @ $3,800,000 only to deal away Leafs 1st round pick to unload that disaster.

Then he brings in injury prone Matt Murray at 2 years $4.765 mil per and Leafs catch a massive break when BT sends him to Robidas Island.

Selling walking away for Jack Campbell as genius move by the GM only to butcher Leafs goaltending even worse is laughable.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Dubas lets Campbell walk so he can sign UFA Mrazek for 3 years @ $3,800,000 only to deal away Leafs 1st round pick to unload that disaster.

Then he brings in injury prone Matt Murray at 2 years $4.765 mil per and Leafs catch a massive break when BT sends him to Robidas Island.

Selling walking away for Jack Campbell as genius move by the GM only to butcher Leafs goaltending even worse is laughable.
I’d say Edmonton’s net problems are worse than ours

Reactions: Ciao

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Mraz was signed with Campbell on the roster and they played a year together. Murray was better than Soupy last year.

You also said we'd be a mid 80 point team with last years tandem and praised Campbell all summer

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas lets Campbell walk so he can sign UFA Mrazek
That's just flat out not true. Campbell and Mrazek were both here at the same time. We set a franchise record that year.
only to deal away Leafs 1st round pick to unload that disaster.
They traded Mrazek for a high 2nd round pick. See how misleading it can be to ignore significant parts of the trade?
Treliving didn't do anything. If you think he's injury prone, then I'm not sure why you'd be surprised when he gets injured and goes on LTIR.
You seem to be forgetting that Murray (who brought additional assets with him) was massively better than Campbell last year, for less money, and you also seem to be forgetting that we also brought in another goalie, that was a top-10 goalie last year, and the team had good goaltending results.
Our goaltending *massively* improved last year after walking away from Campbell.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While we now realize WHY you guys wanted to dump Campbell--over all we are happy with Hyman. He has done some stuff even as McDavid and Leon are well-either injured and just seeing how far they can push oiler fans to jump of the High Level Bridge

Reactions: arso40

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
That's just flat out not true. Campbell and Mrazek were both here at the same time. We set a franchise record that year.

They traded Mrazek for a high 2nd round pick. See how misleading it can be to ignore significant parts of the trade?

Treliving didn't do anything. If you think he's injury prone, then I'm not sure why you'd be surprised when he gets injured and goes on LTIR.
You seem to be forgetting that Murray (who brought additional assets with him) was massively better than Campbell last year, for less money, and you also seem to be forgetting that we also brought in another goalie, that was a top-10 goalie last year, and the team had good goaltending results.

Our goaltending *massively* improved last year after walking away from Campbell.

I like your consistency. You never let little things like facts or reality sway you! Always true to yourself.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I'd rather not have Reaves or Klingberg.

Timmins is a better version of Klingberg so if you want an offensive D take him or Gus.

Bunting could have been had for around Klingberg's cap... not sure who else, haven't looked into it much.

Gregor wasn't needed either.

Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Domi - Bertuzzi
Lafferty - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Gio - Timmins

Samsanov
Woll

Cap-compliant and a much better lineup.
What? The Leafs didn't need a 25 year old quality 4th line player than can play C or wing at league minimum? You sure about that?

Would it have been more prudent to throw draft pick after draft pick at the trade deadline to acquire the player because the GM doesn't have the ability to identify these players during UFA, ala your boy, Kyle Dubas?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What? The Leafs didn't need a 25 year old quality 4th line player than can play C or wing at league minimum? You sure about that?

Would it have been more prudent to throw draft pick after draft pick at the trade deadline to acquire the player because the GM doesn't have the ability to identify these players during UFA, ala your boy, Kyle Dubas?
well they were cheering Dubie on as he traded a couple of 1sts and four consecutive 2nd rd picks among others last t/d so they must believe in the draft smaft theory of roster construction , at least for Dubas

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Gregor is not really that good... that's the issue.

I think he is replaceable with a lot of Marlies.

And we let go of a better player who can also play W/C

The cap saving was 300k and the difference in player is over 300k.

With 2 goals in 15 games, Gregor is now pacing to have his most productive goal-scoring season ever.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I like your consistency. You never let little things like facts or reality sway you! Always true to yourself.
My post was all facts. That's why you chose to quote me and throw insults instead of disputing any of it.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Gregor is not really that good... that's the issue.

I think he is replaceable with a lot of Marlies.

And we let go of a better player who can also play W/C

The cap saving was 300k and the difference in player is over 300k.

With 2 goals in 15 games, Gregor is now pacing to have his most productive goal-scoring season ever.
You can think Gregor is replaceable with a lot of Marlies but he is playing for league minimum and is 2 years younger than McMann who some around here have a soft spot for as letting one of the "Marlies kids" have a spot on the team.

Sam Lafferty did NOTHING for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He had an opportunity to be a gritty speedy winger who could bring a fore check element, win battles among the boards and chip in with some offensive. He did none of that while wearing the blue and white, its his fault that he played himself off the roster and one of the people he lost his spot to was a player on a PTO.

Sam Lafferty has been a replacement level player his entire NHL career but a few posters who see Dubas and doing no wrong have to be all in on him being a "valuable" piece that Tre let go for nothing because that narrative is much better than the truth that Dubas significantly over paid (in assets) for a fringe 4th line/13th forward and a decent 5th Dman (McCabe) at last years trade deadline.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You can think Gregor is replaceable with a lot of Marlies but he is playing for league minimum and is 2 years younger than McMann who some around here have a soft spot for as letting one of the "Marlies kids" have a spot on the team.

Sam Lafferty did NOTHING for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He had an opportunity to be a gritty speedy winger who could bring a fore check element, win battles among the boards and chip in with some offensive. He did none of that while wearing the blue and white, its his fault that he played himself off the roster and one of the people he lost his spot to was a player on a PTO.

Sam Lafferty has been a replacement level player his entire NHL career but a few posters who see Dubas and doing no wrong have to be all in on him being a "valuable" piece that Tre let go for nothing because that narrative is much better than the truth that Dubas significantly over paid (in assets) for a fringe 4th line/13th forward and a decent 5th Dman (McCabe) at last years trade deadline.

I'm genuinely curious what you think Gregor is doing if Lafferty did nothing...

it is wild that a 13th forward is currently producing the way he is with 13 mins a night...

The fact you think Lafferty has been replacement level his entire career is insane.

Gregor's only redeeming quality is he is making league minimum, but he really offers nothing.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I'm genuinely curious what you think Gregor is doing if Lafferty did nothing...

it is wild that a 13th forward is currently producing the way he is with 13 mins a night...

Gregor's only redeeming quality is he is making league minimum, but he really offers nothing.
Gregor plays with speed, hard on the fore check and hasn't done anything to date to hurt the team as far as I can remember. He has the 2nd lowest TOI (10:20 average) on the team, he ranks 7th on the team in SOG and is tied for tops on the team in Hits.

Again, what do you expect from a league minimum forward who was on a PTO playing 10 mins a night on the 4th line?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Gregor plays with speed, hard on the fore check and hasn't done anything to date to hurt the team as far as I can remember. He has the 2nd lowest TOI (10:20 average) on the team, he ranks 7th on the team in SOG and is tied for tops on the team in Hits.

Again, what do you expect from a league minimum forward who was on a PTO playing 10 mins a night on the 4th line?
He’s been great, this place is so weird.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Pretty much that... he isn't producing and his lines have all been bad so far (don't blame him, I blame Reaves).

It isn't like he is doing great.

Just don't understand the love for Gregor, he is worse than Holmberg who is also sitting.

He is all speed, but low IQ and not great finish, he shoots around 7% every year.

I just think he is a bad version of Kapanen, but people like him cause he is fast I think, not sure what else they see from him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He’s been great, this place is so weird.

What is great?

-14.7% rel xGF
36.6% xGF
27.3% GF
most shot attempts against per 60
tied for 2nd worst on-ice goal differential
3 points in 15 games, on pace for 16

He has been fast... not much else

I just don't see anything of note outside of his speed

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Overall, I thought Dubas did a pretty good job, as did the guy before him and hopefully the guy after him as well.

I didn't like many of Dubas' TDL or near-TDL deals. I thought he panicked and overpaid on most of them. However, he built a steady, deep organization and did pretty well in the off-seasons.

I'm not at all fond of the comparisons of one GM to another, and I think most of the criticism of Dubas is way, way over the top.

However, despite his flaws, he does deserve credit for not locking up Jack Campbell.

It's just too bad he so often raided the pantry on bad deals late in the season.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
what some people don't realize is you don't often get the opportunity to assemble the young talent the Leafs did when Dubas took over and it's mind boggling to go from what he started with to what he left and with how many assets he wasted and still have such a large amount of people worship the job he did
If Dubie was half as bad as he was everyone would agree that he was bad.

Strange phenomenon, but it's not new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad