How Does the Penguins Goaltending Situation Play Out? Is There a Precedent?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Murray starts (seems obvious), but how short of a leash is he on? If he gets blown out within first couple of games and Fleury comes in playing strong, does Fleury get the start afterwards?

I can't think of a comparable goaltending situation to this, especially if Pittsburgh manages to win another cup?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it would take Murray laying 2 eggs in a row to lose starting privileges. Fleury stepped up in a huge way, but Murray has been the clear starter since around December. Unless Murray completely craps the bed he will start every game in the finals.

Regardless of whether they win the cup or not, Fleury will be gone. He will either waive his NMC to be made available for a trade/expansion, or be bought out.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury stepped up and exceeded expectations and got us through a tough first 2 rounds. But Murray is the better goalie and will (and should) start every SCF game.

IF we win the cup *knock on wood*, they do share the honor imo. Couldn't have done it without either of them.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Murray is the starter and will be going forward. There is no situation. If he has two horrendous games in a row, I could see a switch. But there is no goalie situation, unless you consider a clear 1 and a backup as a situation.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
As others have said Murray would need two bad ones in a row. Just happy to have 2 good goalies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If the Pens get dominated territorially by Nashville, which seems unlikely at this point, and Sullivan feels his only chance to win the Cup is for his goaltender to stand on his head and steal multiple games, then maybe I could see a switch back to Fleury. But only if Murray really struggles with getting peppered.

Sullivan switched against Ottawa because his goaltender was no longer seeing a lot of rubber. Fleury is more like Curtis Joseph: the more pucks he sees the better he is. Murray is more like Martin Brodeur, he is as cool as a cucumber so he can go 10 minutes without seeing the puck and still not be fazed by it.

I don't think we would have beaten Ottawa without the goaltender switch. That said, I don't think we beat Washington without Fleury.

It's a nice problem to have, but it will only last one more round.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Murray is the starter and will be going forward. There is no situation. If he has two horrendous games in a row, I could see a switch. But there is no goalie situation, unless you consider a clear 1 and a backup as a situation.

Which is kind of a double standard, is it not? Considering Fleury lost the starting job with a rough ~10 minutes after posting two shutouts (and a 2-1 OT loss) in his previous 3 games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This was Fleury's best playoffs in close to a decade and it may have even given a team like Calgary some confidence in trading for him and not having a repeat of what happened to them in this year's playoffs, with being completely sunk by goaltending. If not, he'll probably be the best goalie available for Vegas.

And I think the reason the leash was so short with him was because Fleury is in lame duck status there. I think that signals he's in lame duck status and that Murray is their guy and more than likely, Fleury will not be on the team next year.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Which is kind of a double standard, is it not? Considering Fleury lost the starting job with a rough ~10 minutes after posting two shutouts (and a 2-1 OT loss) in his previous 3 games.

how is it a double standard?

one goalie is the starter and the other is the back-up.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Murray starts (seems obvious), but how short of a leash is he on? If he gets blown out within first couple of games and Fleury comes in playing strong, does Fleury get the start afterwards?

I can't think of a comparable goaltending situation to this, especially if Pittsburgh manages to win another cup?

Since 1970, only one Cup winning team had a similar situation:

1972 Boston Johnston 7 games, Cheevers 8 games.

In the 60s:

1965 Montréal Worsley 8 games, Hodges 5 games.

1969 Montréal Vachon 8 games, Worsley 7 games.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
Murray is the #1. If the backup gets brought in during the finals at some point it'll be no different that the same thing happening on any other team. MAF is almost certainly done in Pittsburgh after these playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad