How does Tampa stack up against the best teams from the pre-cap 90s and early 00s?

itsJG

Dec 31, 2018
None of those teams cheated, so you can't really compare. It's not built under the rules and just because p***y ass NHL let's it slide, doesn't mean it wasn't blatant cap circumvention. Had they played fair, we might compare Panthers, Isles, Canes or Habs instead of them.
Almost every post I see from you is hating on the Bolts lol you gotta stop being salty man

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Uh, the 2010 Hawks would like a word with you. They put together that asinine roster with a cap that was like 60% of the cap today, while also not pulling any sort of cap shenanigans.

This Lightning team isn't even the best cup winning team of the cap era. 2010 Hawks and 2012 Kings definitely beat it and I'd probably put the 2016 Penguins over them too.

It's just kinda odd to compare the Lightning to the best pre-cap teams when the Lightning aren't even the best post-cap team.
Except for Marian Hossa and Duncan Keith's 10+ year back-diving contracts, you mean?

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I can confidently say Tampa over the last 3 seasons now have put together a roster that no one else in the cap era has had, yeah I know they are well over the luxury tax but they've still been able to make it work.
Feel like some of the Hawks teams would disagree with this.

2008/09 Wings too. Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Holmstrom, Osgood and a ton of grit/role players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad