How does Shero plug hole on blueline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Taylor Hall trade must go down as one of the greatest trades in New Jersey Devils history. It is rare in the NHL when an elite, gamebreaking forward is traded just as he is entering his prime. To make matters better, Hall is signed at a team-friendly $6 million per through 2020-21.

The loss of Larsson (though getting Hall straight up for him is an almost uncanny bargain), indeed leaves a gaping hole on the Devils blueline. Right now, the pairings stack up as such:

1st pairing: LHD Greene - RHD Severson
2nd pairing: LHD Moore - RHD ?
3rd pairing: LHD Merrill - RHD Santini

This is, of course, a problem. Though Greene is rock solid and Severson offers a ton of two-way upside, this is something most educated hockey fans would be far more comfortable as a second pairing entering the season. Greene is rock-solid, very heady, a leader. But he is not an elite shut-down guy. Severson has shown flashes of brilliance, but has yet to consistently assert himself as a top-4 NHL-er.

Moore and Merrill are both third-pairing talents, and Merrill is coming off major injury concerns. Santini is very very intriguing -- one of the most underrated prospects in the entire NHL, he has "stud mobile shut-down D" written all over him, is incredibly smart and competitive and oozes character. But it's also important to keep in mind that he's a rookie.

There is a strong possibility of Shero making a couple of low-cost re-signings of Schlemko and Warsofsky, but while they are both solid third-pairing foot-soldiers, they do not exactly strike fear into the heart of the opposition.

So what is Ray Shero to do?

Well, there are a few options out there. The first one to come to mind is...

LHD Cam Fowler: rumored to be shopped by the Anaheim Ducks for the better part of the off-season, no one makes better sense than Fowler. He is a NJ native, and played junior hockey for the Windsor Spitfires alongside Adam Henrique and Taylor Hall. He is an electrifying skater, which would fit in with Shero's new emphasis on team speed. He moves the puck well, is solid in his own zone and an effective outlet passer. The question is: what would the cost be to get him?

The obvious answer would be an unpopular one: Mike Cammalleri. The Ducks have long-sought a LW to play alongside the deadly top-line combo of Getzlaf/Perry, and Cammalleri would fit in perfectly there. Of course, that would negatively affect the Devils' scoring depth. Perhaps Shero could work some more trade magic and entice the Ducks with some configuration built around Reid Boucher, who rocketed down the depth chart with the Hall acquisition? Boucher showed flashes of his big-time scoring upside down the stretch last season, he features a lethal shot in space. Of course it would take more than Boucher to get this done, but as long as the Devils were not parting with a #1 pick or their top 5 prospects, anything would be worth discussing.

I'm going to bring another trade option up which no one else has yet:

RHD Alex Petrovic: The 24-year old Florida rearguard emerged last-year as a tough, gritty crease-clearing defensive defenseman last season -- the type of player to win in the corners, stand up for his teammates and deliver a physical price to opposing forwards who dare skate through scoring areas.

In short, he's exactly what the Panthers are trying to phase out, with their new analytic-based front office. I'm not going to turn this into another Corsi/Fenwick debate, but let's just say that Florida's jettisoning of Erik Gudbranson and reputed shopping of Nick Bjugstad is a precursor to the entire restructuring of a team (which, notably, won the division last year). Petrovich's "old school" and physical styles of play are something the front office is devaluing, meaning Shero and the Devils brass has a golden opportunity to pick him up for pennies on the dollar. I think this is the type of deal which would be far easier to execute than Fowler. As poorly as the Panthers drafted last weekend (arguably worse than even Boston), I could see Josefson and a late-round pick being enough to get this done. Pull the trigger, Ray -- Petrovic is the type of physical, defensive D the Devils sorely lack and need to protect Cory Schneider.

RHD Matt Dumba: The Minnesota Wild are reputedly shopping this very exciting young kid, a player who combines top-end skating, untapped offensive potential and a penchant for initiating physical play. He's be an outstanding addition to the Devils blueline and would not come cheaply. The Wild are, however, desperately seeking help up the middle. One of my favorite prospects is John Quenneville -- I absolutely love that kid, I think he's going to be a 2-way second line stud for years to come. But if he were the cost for Dumba? The Devils have Henrique, and now two future bluechip studs in Zacha and McLeod rocketing through the pipeline. Not even to mention next years QMJHL top breakthrough candidate in Brandon Gignac, whom The Draft Analyst's Steve Kournianos thinks was the best mid-round value pick in the entire 2016 NHL draft. I would hate to see Quenneville go, but I would love to see Dumba arrive.

FREE AGENCY CANDIDATES:
Like we all know already, Schlemko and Warsofsky could easily be had on the cheap. But what else is out there?

RHD Jason Demers: an amazing season/playoffs last year, but will have several suitors and likely to be overpaid.

LHD Willie Mitchell: would love his character/leadership/physical presence on a cheap one-year deal, but nearing the end and possibly too slow to keep up with Hynes' style of play.

RHD Roman Polak: another gritty, physical guy. Hits and blocks shots, but does not move puck well. Could be a nice stop-gap if paired with offensive LHD.

RHD Ben Lovejoy: see Polak above

IN CONCLUSION:
Shero has done an outstanding job so far, I'm curious what he is thinking here. A high-cost move acquisition of Fowler makes more sense than Dumba, but Dumba is a solid fall-back. Fowler is better right now and can step into the top pairing on the left side, moving an aging Greene down to a more suitable role on the second pairing.

Petrovic is a guy I would love the Devils to get, the addition of him and Santini would certainly add a more physical dimension to the New Jersey blueline. I could really get behind a blueline of:

1st pairing: LHD Fowler - RHD Petrovic
2nd pairing: LHD Greene - RHD Severson
3rd pairing LHD Moore - RHD Santini

spares/AHL: Merrill, Auvitu, Schlemko, Warsofsky

Any other suggestions out there? I'd love to discuss them.

WRITER'S NOTE: Please do not reply by cursing my unborn children for saying the Devils should trade Cammalleri or Boucher or [insert name of Devil you love] -- I'm just throwing a bunch of possibilities out there for discussion.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Based on Shero's comments I think he's gonna let the kids battle it out in camp and decide from there.

Unless a offer comes across his desk that blows him away I'm pretty sure that's the plan

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Based on Shero's comments I think he's gonna let the kids battle it out in camp and decide from there.

Unless a offer comes across his desk that blows him away I'm pretty sure that's the plan

Shero is playing coy. No way he does not at least kick the tires on Fowler and Dumba. Petrovic was my idea, though.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Isn't Santini expected(long-term) to do exactly what Larsson was doing last season? Shutdown guy but with a bit more physicality, plays tough minutes and makes solid first passes?

I'm more bummed about losing Larsson because of an emotional attachment to him. I feel like we've been through the war together with the "total bust" comments to blossoming to an elite defensive defenseman.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I'd hope he at least tries to get one UFA dman

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's halfway there. I'm not sure we should assume Santini + Severson can combine to fill what was Larsson + Severson a year ago.

I just don't think it's a big deal. I think Larsson's contributions the last two years, while good are vastly overstated and I don't think we are in any different position right now defensively than before the trade.

I don't believe we lose much of anything putting Severson or Schlemko or anyone with Greene and we are still left with a second pairing that needs something more stable than Moore and somebody...that is precisely what we had last season when we finished 8th in the league in Goals Against.

I don't think there should be much concern. It should be addressed but I don't believe we are in a worse position than we were last year.

Group Chat Legend*

Moore cant be a top 4 if we are thinking playoffs.

Two second pairing dmen unless Santini or someone steps up

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't Santini expected(long-term) to do exactly what Larsson was doing last season? Shutdown guy but with a bit more physicality, plays tough minutes and makes solid first passes?

I'm more bummed about losing Larsson because of an emotional attachment to him. I feel like we've been through the war together with the "total bust" comments to blossoming to an elite defensive defenseman.

That's a fact, jack.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I haven't seen Fowler play much. Does he really have top line potential for next year?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio

I think despite this move Shero knows we're still in a building period. We're not going to go burst the bank.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I think the Devils best asset is there cap space. We can take on a player on a bad contract to get ourselves a top4 guy.

Looking at Anaheim I think we can take the cap hit of stoner.

Who else??

Group Chat Legend*

I think despite this move Shero knows we're still in a building period. We're not going to go burst the bank.

I am okay with letting the kids fight for spots, but not both of the 2nd paring spots. That is not smart.

Get one top 4 dman even if it is a #4, and go from there. Thats a start.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I do. I'm just not sure what he is willing to spend.

I do think he would be willing to offer one of Blender or Boosh+. I think JQ would require a larger return.

Agreed.

I would shop Boucher and keep Blandisi. Blandisi is capable of being extremely effective in a bottom-6 role, but Boucher needs top-6/pp minutes, and he's unlikely to get it with Hall and Cammalleri ahead of him on the depth chart.

Quenneville I only move if I'm getting Fowler or Dumba back. I am a huge fan of Quenneville's, I think he's ready to be a #3 center right now. He was just dazzling in the WHL/Memorial Cup playoffs for Brandon. But I think the Devils are one LHD and one RHD from playoff contention right now, and if Quenneville can obtain a top-four, it's something to at least consider.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not the sexiest option, but Dennis Wideman? He has a year left on his deal (5.25 cap hit, 6 mil in actual cash). Seemed like Wideman was lost in the shuffle after they brought Hamilton into the mix.

Obviously not a great PR guy right now after the linesman incident. But he'd fit in at RHD and probably would QB our top unit.

Calgary might be happy to open up the cap space.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't seen Fowler play much. Does he really have top line potential for next year?

Yes, he does. Still a work in progress, but man can he fly and move the puck up ice.

Give him the offensive zone starts and Greene the defensive zone starts. With coaching/ice-time management, Fowler has serious untapped upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad