How does one cope with a death of someone close to them?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Last May, my mom was diagnosed with a rare form of kidney cancer. She passed away on March 2.

The last month and a half has been hard to handle knowing she’s not coming back.

I have tried to dive heavy into sports, water, and sweets as a personal coping mechanism (I rarely drink alcohol) but it has been a mixed bag (Some games put a smile on my face, others have not).

Anyone who has gone through the pain of losing a loved one close to them: how did you deal with this and how does one try to move on from the pain?

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Time will help. Have lost both parents. Best I can suggest is continue to move yourself forward to honour your mom. The better you make yourself, the more proud she would be.

1. Set goals for your life.
2. Uplift others. Can fill a hole by being a kind, generous person. (Buy that coffee for the person behind you in the drive thru once in a while)
3. Be real. It is a part of life, so enjoy as many moments as you can, with everyone you can.
4. Don't isolate yourself, be a part of as much as you can. Outings with friends, family, volunteer...whatever.
5. Don't try to fill the hole with things that don't help you. (Food, alcohol, gambling...whatever) Those self gratifying things won't succeed. They will just hurt your process.
6. Talk to someone, either close or professional if the struggle is too hard.

Good luck.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad