How does Murray rate as a puck handler?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
This is not really a skill I usually pay much attention to but Murray has been looking pretty good in my option. You've got to have some confidence to go for a goal as a 22 year playing on a short leash and the team just alway seems to play on another level when he's in net. That doesn't make sense to me if all he's doing is stoping pucks. How would you rate him on a scale 1-5? Also how much deference does a good puck handling goalie really make? I alway assumed it wasn't a big deal but maybe I've been wrong about that.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd say he's okay at it so probably a 3. What I like about his puck handling ability is that he doesn't try to do too much. He stops pucks behind the net and plays the safe option. He covers the puck when it's the best option rather than trying to jump start a breakout.

Neither he or Fleury are going to be a Brodeur like puck handler, but Fleury pretends he's that good sometimes and it gets him in trouble.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I'd say he's okay at it so probably a 3. What I like about his puck handling ability is that he doesn't try to do too much. He stops pucks behind the net and plays the safe option. He covers the puck when it's the best option rather than trying to jump start a breakout.

Neither he or Fleury are going to be a Brodeur like puck handler, but Fleury pretends he's that good sometimes and it gets him in trouble.

Ya I wouldn't really think Murray had the potential to be a great puck handler just because he doesn't have much upper body strength. It just seems like he's out there making a play here there atleast and that pretty good compared to Fleury at that age.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ya I wouldn't really think Murray had the potential to be a great puck handler just because he doesn't have much upper body strength. It just seems like he's out there making a play here there atleast and that pretty good compared to Fleury at that age.

I think he will be good enough and like I said, the biggest benefit is his calmness and ability to make the right play, even if the unsexy one.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
3 with the potential to be a 3.5-4. The biggest thing for him handling the puck, in my eyes at least, is that he knows his limitations and doesn't try to make low percentage plays with the puck. He's no Barrasso...but he's also no Fleury.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually the best thing about Murray is the opposite of a good puck handler. His tendency is to freeze the puck providing a calming influence to the team so you rarely see the chinese fire drill mad scrambling around the net, or behind the net, that you see with other goalies. I have no specific other goalie in mind, but maybe someone can provide an example as a contrast.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Actually the best thing about Murray is the opposite of a good puck handler. His tendency is to freeze the puck providing a calming influence to the team so you rarely see the chinese fire drill mad scrambling around the net, or behind the net, that you see with other goalies. I have no specific other goalie in mind, but maybe someone can provide an example as a contrast.

So he's sort of like the Trent Dilfer of goalies. He's a puck management goalie on a good team and not a playmaker. To be fair he does have one of the longest assists of the year.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
3 with the potential to be a 3.5-4. The biggest thing for him handling the puck, in my eyes at least, is that he knows his limitations and doesn't try to make low percentage plays with the puck. He's no Barrasso...but he's also no Fleury.

Barrasso was one of the greatest puckhandlers of all time. There's a reason he had 48 assists. Fleury is one of the worst. Murray is good, nothing special. Looks great compared to Fleury though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Intelligence on when to go back: 5+++

Murray doesn't go back unless he's certain we are going to be able to make a play. I like that about him, but I'm sure the defense, at times, would wish he'd try to get a few more. Luckily, it plays it safe. I really like that about him.

Actual playing of the puck: 3.25. He's no Price. He's far from anything bad. He makes smart plays. I have zero complaints. What's holding him back from being way better is just that talent some goalies have like Marty and Price to basically be outlets for their team. That is a very unusual trait, though.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Here's how I'd equate the two:

Murray is an average puck handler that knows he's an average puck handler, so he makes smart, simple plays like he should.

Fleury is an average puck handler that thinks he's a great puck handler, so he tries to make overcomplicated plays and gets himself into trouble.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Barrasso was one of the greatest puckhandlers of all time. There's a reason he had 48 assists. Fleury is one of the worst. Murray is good, nothing special. Looks great compared to Fleury though.

Like a lot of Fleury's game, his actually skill level is better than he actually looks/plays. He can, physically, play the puck very well. Just like he can, physically, be a great goaltender. Unfortunately for him, there is a very integral mental component to both of those, and that's where his game breaks down. As others have said on here, all the tools and no tool box.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
There is nothing really remotely special about how Murray plays.. and that isn't a knock on him at all.

Its rather an indictment of the total train wreck goaltending this team has been dealing with for the last 10 years. Fleury is unpredictable when handling the puck.. which creates chaos with the defense. They don't know what to expect when he handles the puck. He feels like he needs to be Brodeur and play every puck.. yet his tendency to take risks and screw up leads to an overall unease when hes behind the net.

Murray's effect is a lot like the effect we saw with Vokoun. He only goes behind the net on the high % plays. Hes predictable. He only adds to our quick transition game, rather than become a barrier to it. Its the same thing Vokoun did. It isn't glamorous.. but its how this team needs it to be.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I like the little moves he makes with the puck behind his own net. Very calm even with someone bearing down on him.

He probably looks better because we are so used to fleury. But even him being average is a blessing.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
There is nothing really remotely special about how Murray plays.. and that isn't a knock on him at all.

Its rather an indictment of the total train wreck goaltending this team has been dealing with for the last 10 years. Fleury is unpredictable when handling the puck.. which creates chaos with the defense. They don't know what to expect when he handles the puck. He feels like he needs to be Brodeur and play every puck.. yet his tendency to take risks and screw up leads to an overall unease when hes behind the net.

Murray's effect is a lot like the effect we saw with Vokoun. He only goes behind the net on the high % plays. Hes predictable. He only adds to our quick transition game, rather than become a barrier to it. Its the same thing Vokoun did. It isn't glamorous.. but its how this team needs it to be.

To be honest Murray reminds me of Vokoun in a lot of ways.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He seems to know what he wants to do with it before he gets it which makes him an automatic B+ at least for me.

Maf will get the puck and then think about where he wants to pass it and by the time he decides the other team can anticipate and close it off. Maf also overhandles it constantly. I can't believe that his defense hasn't strangled him because he sometimes puts them in extremely bad positions with the puck due to his overhandling of it. If I were a dman playing for him that would infuriate me because he's risking injury for them with his stupid decisions.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Murray is good at not coming out to play the puck when he shouldn't which is his counterparts biggest issue. He slows it down and places it in spots for his players, but he won't be like Hextall or Brodeur or Turco with puck handling. But given that he's calm about it now and like 22yrs old, he can develop it over time.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It might be just the comparison with Fleury but I see this as one of his strengths...Like Pancakes alluded to he reads and anticipates the play well, shows a lot of poise when handling it, and seems to already know where everyone is.

I would not be surprised if Fleury was every bit as good a puck handler in physical skillset, but they are like night and day in game situations.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I think you guys are underrating Murray here. There were a few times in the playoffs where he showed some nifty puckhandling to avoid the forechecker and create space for a defender. He's not making those 100ft passes every game but his successful passing percentage seems extremely high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad