How does Linden Vey look so far?

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Hey Kings fans,

How does Linden Vey look so far? I know he's been in the AHL for the first month of the season. I've got him on my keeper team and I'm wondering if he's worth holding onto...

Anyone watch him play recently?

-Does he stand out?

-How soon could he get called up?

-What's his potential?

If you can please tell me all you know both positives and negatives about the guy.

Cheers,
Tony

AStammer7*

Vey Will Stay In Manchester 2-3 Years...

Hey Kings fans,

How does Linden Vey look so far? I know he's been in the AHL for the first month of the season. I've got him on my keeper team and I'm wondering if he's worth holding onto...

Anyone watch him play recently?

-Does he stand out?

-How soon could he get called up?

-What's his potential?

Cheers,
Tony

Linden Vey has the potential to play in the NHL as a 3rd line-4th line RW. First though look for him to hone his skills and scoring touch in the AHL for at least 1-2 maybe 3 years,unless there is a rash of injuries at the NHL level...

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
He's been pretty impressive and he'll probably be ready in a couple of years.

Unfortunately, he won't be much of a fantasy factor. At best, he'll be the Kings' future 3rd line RW with Lokti and Clifford (hopefully). Could maybe see him as a 40 point guy if he reaches maximum potential.

hockeynutz

Mar 17, 2004
there are nights he looks good, others where he looks lost. he's not standing out in any big way, though.

he needs a lot of time at manchester to figure out how to play at that level, never mind the NHL. i don't see him in the NHL for a couple of years. and even if he does make it, he has lots of people ahead of him.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Most kids don't blast out of the gates at the AHL level and Vey is no exception. I would give him about a year to get his bearings and then maybe at that point start to re-evaluate. He's a tough tough player to project. I still think he's got top six upside, but he's coming from a run-and-gun junior system that doesn't translate that well to the pro game, much less the Kings/Monarchs two-way system.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I think he might become a solid 2nd C in time but for now he was very very good. Still a ways to go but very very good from what we saw. Most of us are begging for him to come back up if that helps.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
hes already better than our entire bottom 6. But he isn't tough or mean so can't play

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I bet Vey would be in the team right now if instead of dangling and setting up Nolan for a goal, he dumped the puck in at the blue line and assumed a solid high f3 position before peeling off for a line change

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Very good. Third line center.

He was sent down because the Kings are allergic to goals.

Then he should have fit in since he didn't score any.

I get the frustration, because let's all be honest, Vey is a good player and should be for a very long time in this league. He's smart, he knows the system, he's a keeper.

But the fact is Vey posted all of six shots in 14 games. And that's with nearly two minutes a game on average on the powerplay.

He made some good plays, he is a lot better of a set up man than I anticipated, but you need to be willing to generate some offense on your own, not just rely on linemates. To me, Vey seemed to do that, especially after his first 3-5 games.

I know Tofoli is naturally more of a shooter than Vey, but Toffoli is averaging exactly two shots a game. Vey averaged less than one shot every two games. Even Trevor Lewis shoots the puck at least once a game, and he's not seeing any powerplay time.

Vey is going to be up here for a long time, but he's not a Lewis, he's a two-way player that is expected to generate offense and he had two assists in his last 10 games, one in his last seven. That's not good, and you can blame whoever you want for that, but bottom line is Vey needs to be producing better than that to stay up here.

I think he will, but I'm also fine with the demotion for now.

And yes, I think the others that aren't scoring too should go, or at least some of them, like Lewis, Fraser and Carcillo.

HolyShot*

Vey's looked great so far. I think its time to trade stoll and put vey in. Kid can play.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
I bet Vey would be in the team right now if instead of dangling and setting up Nolan for a goal, he dumped the puck in at the blue line and assumed a solid high f3 position before peeling off for a line change

He'd be on the team if he didn't look like a dog chasing his tail in the defensive zone.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
He'd be on the team if he didn't look like a dog chasing his tail in the defensive zone.

That doesn't make as good of a joke though

Then he should have fit in since he didn't score any.

I get the frustration, because let's all be honest, Vey is a good player and should be for a very long time in this league. He's smart, he knows the system, he's a keeper.

But the fact is Vey posted all of six shots in 14 games. And that's with nearly two minutes a game on average on the powerplay.

He made some good plays, he is a lot better of a set up man than I anticipated, but you need to be willing to generate some offense on your own, not just rely on linemates. To me, Vey seemed to do that, especially after his first 3-5 games.

I know Tofoli is naturally more of a shooter than Vey, but Toffoli is averaging exactly two shots a game. Vey averaged less than one shot every two games. Even Trevor Lewis shoots the puck at least once a game, and he's not seeing any powerplay time.

Vey is going to be up here for a long time, but he's not a Lewis, he's a two-way player that is expected to generate offense and he had two assists in his last 10 games, one in his last seven. That's not good, and you can blame whoever you want for that, but bottom line is Vey needs to be producing better than that to stay up here.

I think he will, but I'm also fine with the demotion for now.

And yes, I think the others that aren't scoring too should go, or at least some of them, like Lewis, Fraser and Carcillo.

I mean, come on. He is firstly a rookie and he primarily played with Nolan and Frattin (sweet gig) and when he didn't he got the joy of playing with Lewis and Toffoli (2 rookies and a plug)

http://www.leftwinglock.com/players/index.php?season=2013&teamid=LA&playername=VEY+LINDEN#A

is it any surprise he struggled to produce offence, in fact Fraser is the only forward who has been on the ice with worse quality of teammates

http://www.extraskater.com/players/qual_team?min_gp=10&team=la

and despite that, Vey's production was good for 8th amongst forwards

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rds&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

Better than Stoll, Clifford, Brown, Frattin

(LoLewis)

Unsurprisingly, Sutter never really put him in a position to succeed

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
That doesn't make as good of a joke though

I mean, come on. He is firstly a rookie and he primarily played with Nolan and Frattin (sweet gig) and when he didn't he got the joy of playing with Lewis and Toffoli (2 rookies and a plug)

http://www.leftwinglock.com/players/index.php?season=2013&teamid=LA&playername=VEY+LINDEN#A

is it any surprise he struggled to produce offence, in fact Fraser is the only forward who has been on the ice with worse quality of teammates

http://www.extraskater.com/players/qual_team?min_gp=10&team=la

and despite that, Vey's production was good for 8th amongst forwards

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rds&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

Better than Stoll, Clifford, Brown, Frattin

(LoLewis)

Unsurprisingly, Sutter never really put him in a position to succeed

We can debate quality of line mates all we wish, my main point was Vey does shoot nearly enough, and that's proven out thus far. The fact he has poor linemates only makes that more of a need. I'd wager that factor into his demotion. A shot every second game (and about every 23 minutes of ice time) is a poor stat for anyone who gets more than a handful of minutes per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad