How does a lower UFA age help the "small markets"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
CarlRacki said:
It will deflate the labor market, making quality players more affordable for smaller market teams. It's simple economics, really.

Actually, that wasn't my question.

"Simple economics" dictates that a cap equalizes spending, NOT revenues.

Without revenue sharing, the cap will do nothing to boost the revenues of small market teams, which is the real issue since none of them had high payrolls to begin with.

You stated that the rich teams want a cap because it will allow them to keep their excess revenues.

So again, how are the small market teams saved by a cap that doesn't boost their revenues?

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
So Jarome Iginla can make the same money in Calgary as he can in New York. He'll choose Calgary? Ed Jovanovski can make the same money in Florida as he can in Vancouver. He'll choose Vancouver? Vincent Lecavalier can make the same money in Tampa as he can in Montreal. He'll choose the Lightning?

Tom
so Daniel Alfredsson will never forego that to sign with Ottawa, or Naslund in Vancouver?

I'm not sure how this scenario plays out in most cases, in part because outside of a Gretzky or Messier, how many marketing opportunities are there for these guys really? Is Jovo going to be selling cars and chocolate bars in Miami??

Maybe if the money is the same, some guys go where the cost of living is less and their dollar goes further?

I don't mean to sound naive here as clearly many players (especially young single guys, or the guys married to supermodels/actresses) will flock to the big cities. I would suspect that other players might make different choices. a competitive team helps though, for sure

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
txpd said:
how many name brand players are there in those "oppressed small markets"??
how many in edmonton? how many in calgary? one? how many in nashville? none?
how many in minnesota? one? How many in Atlanta? two? part of the problem is that these "oppressed small market teams" are basically restricted to the star players they can draft from being bad. How many name brand players are there in Detroit? Lidstrom, Hatcher, Cujo, Shanahan, Hull, Lang, Whitney, Datsyuk, Schneider....any of those guys could be the best player on many teams. I count one goalie, 3 defensemen and 5 forwards. With a $38m-$40m salary cap, how may of those guys do you see on one team. Particularly with a $10m Lidstrom already under contract. $10m out of $40 really cuts down on the possibilities.

Understandably as an Ottawa fan, you are worried about keeping Havlat and Spezza and Alfredsson and Chara and Hossa all together. That could be a challenge. But the truth is that they may lose one of those guys to salary cap concerns and not be able to keep a guy like Smolinski. Ottawa wont get raided. for Detroit, Dallas, Toronto, Rangers, and Colorado to get all these great players you say they will get they would all have to take one of your Sens players and leave all the rest of the league's top free agents alone. You think that is likely? nah

I'm an Ottawa fan? See, all this time, everybody was accusing me of only wanting a system that enables the Red Wings to continue to buy championships. :dunno:

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If players could make as much money to play in a team like Edmonton they would stay there too. Doug Weight would never have left Edmonton if they could have paid him close to the same money. The guy totally hated to leave the team, and ever called every player on the Oilers to say goodbye. I am not making that up that was what Weight did.

I think with the Oilers able to play many players close to the same amount of money players that like offense would love to sign in Edmonton. Think about if for players that whine about having to play offense. You can sign to a team that plays the neutral zone trap, or sign for the same money with Edmonton. Where they would encourage you to play offensively and to take part in an exciting brand of hockey.

Other then Comrie, it is rare you ever find a player that didn't like to play in Edmonton. The only reason to leave there is one thing, money.

It is a classy organization, well run, a hockey town, the best ice in the league to play on, and a fast fun type of hockey to play.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
If you do go for free agency at 27 without a cap, you have baseball. That works for the business but the illusion of competitive balance is destroyed.
How does free agency at 27 without a cap give an illusion of comp balance? Thats exactly the opposite.
shnagle said:
How does a cap help these teams become profitable without revenue sharing?
Well, in theory, they could build a fan base based on a hope that their team can actually win something, and not simply be a farm-team for a have-team. Its basically a 2-tiered system as it stands, so its difficult to build and keep a fan base for the lower-tiered teams.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
txomisc said:
that still doesnt answer the question man. what is the point of the cap itself in this scenario?

How on earth does the league sell earlier free agency to fans across the league without a cap? They announce they want earlier free agency so that the bigger markets can get access to the league's brightest young stars? How would that fly?

If George Bush had told the American people he was invading Iraq because the world needed access to Iraqi oil, does he sell the war? How does the NHL sell early free agency? They declare a competitive balance problem by pointing to payroll disparity. They confuse big market and big revenue. They make Edmonton a poster boy. They sell the need for a salary cap like George Bush sold weapons of mass destruction. Then they "reluctantly" trade earlier free agency to get the cap.

It is an incredibly cynical view - so cynical I have difficulty swallowing it myself - but it fits the available facts far better than any other explanation. If they really cared about small markets revenue sharing and free agency delayed as long as possible should be at the top of their list.

Tom

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PepNCheese said:
Actually, that wasn't my question.

"Simple economics" dictates that a cap equalizes spending, NOT revenues.

Without revenue sharing, the cap will do nothing to boost the revenues of small market teams, which is the real issue since none of them had high payrolls to begin with.

You stated that the rich teams want a cap because it will allow them to keep their excess revenues.

So again, how are the small market teams saved by a cap that doesn't boost their revenues?

I'm not sure it does "save" those teams other than allowing them to put a better, more competitive product on the ice and perhaps boost their revenues as a result. However, I would argue that if those teams, given a more level playing field and some modicum of cost certainty, still cannot compete then they shouldn't exist.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Cawz said:
How does free agency at 27 without a cap give an illusion of comp balance? Thats exactly the opposite.

Well, that's what I said. Without a cap there is no illusion. With the cap, there is. Baseball does very well but there is no illusion. People complain but Boston-New York playoff series does boffo business. People complain but watch. In hockey people complain and don't watch.

Tom

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
CarlRacki said:
Everything you say above is correct, but it's correct in a capped or uncapped system. Los Angeles and New York are more exciting places than Raleigh and Edmonton for a rich young guy to live, and that's true regardless of a cap. Playing for Montreal has an allure that playing for Columbus never will, whether there's a cap or not. These are things the NHL cannot control.

Sure it can. It controls it by delaying free agency. These players eventually move, but not until the best part of their career is over.

Tom

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
People with Baseball may watch in the US

But look at the effect of free agency and no real cap to Canada and it is different ( very similar to how it is in the US where hockey isn't a past time )

The Blue Jays can field a competitive team at all, and have lost a ton of fan support. Where I live in Canada if you take away the old retired Grandparents from the fanbase of active people watching the team their ratings would be really bad.

If a team is unable to compete people will not watch it as much. ( Though I will admit baseball has many other issues hurting its chances that are beyond the board here. Like not enough teams making the playoffs. Let 16 teams into the baseball playoffs so there are more getting in. And you would find many more people caring again, if their team even had a shot. )

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
How on earth does the league sell earlier free agency to fans across the league without a cap? They announce they want earlier free agency so that the bigger markets can get access to the league's brightest young stars? How would that fly?

If George Bush had told the American people he was invading Iraq because the world needed access to Iraqi oil, does he sell the war? How does the NHL sell early free agency? They declare a competitive balance problem by pointing to payroll disparity. They confuse big market and big revenue. They make Edmonton a poster boy. They sell the need for a salary cap like George Bush sold weapons of mass destruction. Then they "reluctantly" trade earlier free agency to get the cap.

It is an incredibly cynical view - so cynical I have difficulty swallowing it myself - but it fits the available facts far better than any other explanation. If they really cared about small markets revenue sharing and free agency delayed as long as possible should be at the top of their list.

Tom
this is completely pointless
ill never convince you of the truth and youll never convince me that your insanity is actually truth
whatever. you arguements consist of no real evidence and no common sense

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
In theory I would also hope that the smaller market teams could grow their fan base simply by being more competitive. The reality is that these are small market teams because they are small markets and absent revenue sharing from bigger markets or an additional source of revenue such as a real tv contract these markets will continue to lose money under a hard cap. While the league will achieve cost certainty with a cap, they also need revenue certainty for these smaller markets.

Brent Burns Beard