How do you watch movies?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I hope this isn't to vague to be here, but I am curious as to how people watch movies, not so much if it's streamed, dvd, or at the movies, but how you do. Do you spent the whole movie asking everyone around you what happens next? Do you just sit and watch, do you watch and discuss with friends or family, do you pick it apart?

Personally I'm of the latter "Cinema Sins" category, I will watch a movie and pull it apart... additionally I'll also comment on actors being in different movies. Like we've been watching the Jurassic Park movies, which explains why Dr Grant changed his name, moved to the middle of nowhere in New Zealand and became a guardian to Ricky Baker.

Yeah I'm an awful person to watch movies with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
CinemaSins is just about the worst thing ever, IMO. Nitpicking every individual moment in an overly literal way that generally completely misses the point of what makes movies good or bad/how they function, often-times with criticisms that don't even make any sense or focusing on things that don't matter, and then pretending that it's satire (???) when called out on how dumb it is.

I hope you're not like THAT, specifically.

I just like to watch movies in silence/solitude (watching movies with people has always seemed like a strange and unrewarding way to socialize, to me), not super analytically, more just soaking in mood/aesthetic, occasionally back-tracking over stuff I either missed or liked, then if I like the experience, I'll obsessively think about it and read about it over the course of a few days/weeks and probably revisit it a couple times if I'm really into it (I actually usually enjoy them more when I'm NOT experiencing them for the first time-- appreciating the full picture/general rhythm of a thing is way more satisfying to me than the freshness of something unexpected).

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
CinemaSins is just about the worst thing ever, IMO. Nitpicking every individual moment in an overly literal way that generally completely misses the point of what makes movies good or bad/how they function, often-times with criticisms that don't even make any sense or focusing on things that don't matter, and then pretending that it's satire (???) when called out on how dumb it is.

I just like to watch movies in silence/solitude (watching movies with people has always seemed like a strange and unrewarding way to socialize, to me), not super analytically, more just soaking in mood/aesthetic, occasionally back-tracking over stuff I either missed or liked, then if I like the experience, I'll obsessively think about it and read about it over the course of a few days/weeks and probably revisit it a couple times if I'm really into it (I actually usually enjoy them more when I'm NOT experiencing them for the first time-- appreciating the full picture/general rhythm of a thing is way more satisfying to me than the freshness of something unexpected).
I find them entertaining, though as they say they will pick things you'll neither notice nor care about. Somethings the brings up are stupid, but on the whole I think they're more a commentary on overused tropes in the industry than on whether films are actually good or bad... Though I think Honest Trailers do it in a condensed form without the tedious nitpicking. But that's my opinion, though I'm usually not that pedantic lol.

There are some movies or shows you can easily watch in silence, and enjoy in silence I find the thoughtful ones are great with someone to discuss it with. :)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I usually watch movies at home.

On rare occasions I watch with bunch of friends. It's usually a night out kind of thing so there's some drinks and eating before going out. Those times, it doesn't really matter what the movie is and if someone is talking. It's just a bunch of friends having good time.

Most often I watch with my fiancee. It's usually a thriller or drama so we can both enjoy it. We do like to interact with each other during the movie. Talk about good scenes or stuff like that.

Sometimes I watch alone and I save the personal favorites to that time. Whenever there's a movie I'm really interested in I usually try to watch it alone. So that I can enjoy the movie with no distractions. I don't usually eat or drink during the movie but just focus on it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
There's nothing better than sitting in a big movie theater, all by yourself :thumbu:

I usually only go to either film festivals, or arthouse theaters, and people tend to be more respectful in those places. I hardly ever go to big commercial theaters anymore.

Reactions: GarbageGoal
Sep 19, 2008
Either at a big commercial theater, or on a tablet. Sometimes on TV. With Youtube TV you can DVR movies that air on cable and just fast forward through the commercials. That is how I watched Star Wars Ep II and III last weekend. :laugh:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I hope this isn't to vague to be here, but I am curious as to how people watch movies, not so much if it's streamed, dvd, or at the movies, but how you do. Do you spent the whole movie asking everyone around you what happens next? Do you just sit and watch, do you watch and discuss with friends or family, do you pick it apart?

Personally I'm of the latter "Cinema Sins" category, I will watch a movie and pull it apart... additionally I'll also comment on actors being in different movies. Like we've been watching the Jurassic Park movies, which explains why Dr Grant changed his name, moved to the middle of nowhere in New Zealand and became a guardian to Ricky Baker.

Yeah I'm an awful person to watch movies with.

1st time through, i just sit back and enjoy the movie.

If I liked the movie, I end up rewatching it a few times to pick up on details I missed the first time.

It's not worth it to me to nit pick or harp on every error in a movie. Whats the point of watching them if you're just gonna make it a chore and end up not liking 99% of what you see

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My first reaction to the question was: I don't know. I see so many movies in so many different situations, that it all seems second nature to me by now. I sit there, take it all in, and come to conclusions about it later. Sort of. There are movies that I recognize immediately as either being bad or having serious problems--but I try not to dwell on that stuff too much before the end of the movie. Of course, sometimes this is impossible but I do try to give each movie a fair viewing. By this time I have a fairly refined critical apparatus that all this is filtering through, but I try to wait until I get to a keyboard to kick it into full action.

I agree with Savi that there are few things better than sitting in a movie theatre waiting for a film to start. I almost always have a little tingle of anticipation wondering what is in store. I once tried to explain to a friend of mine who likes to fish and hunt (I definitely don't) that a really good movie to me is the equivalent of his 12-pound trout. You never know what you are going to get, and very often you get not much of anything. But it is still a thrill to get a big one.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think I'm a pretty good person to watch movies with. Sometimes I try to figure out where a movie is going and may say one or two remarks during the movie about what I think is going to happen, but for the most part I just sit quietly and watch it through.

My mom, on the other hand, is the absolute worst person to watch movies with. For one, she gets up in the middle of the movie playing to go to the bathroom or something and doesn't say anything, which bugs me and makes me feel like I have to pause the movie. She gets so literal about every movie, she makes remarks like "Ohh, Yea! Like THAT would ever happen??" or "Why don't they just...". She also picks out the tiny little details that mean absolutely nothing to the movie and make remarks about it. "Her lipstick looks different in this scene...." etc. So freakin annoying.

Though, I have to say one of my biggest movie peeves is watching a movie with someone who is on their phone the whole time. This is usually my girlfriend, followed by the inevitable, "I don't get it... What is going on in this movie?". I don't know why but it just really bugs me when I'm watching a movie with someone and they don't pay attention.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I prefer to watch films weeks after they come out at a time when the fewest amount of people will be in the theater. That said, I generally go to see Marvel openings first night, preferably as close to midnight as possible so as to ensure the type of person in the theater is excited to see the film and is not going to act like an idiot during it. I really hate the general end to midnight releases since The Dark Knight Rises tragedy because opening at 8PM invites the type of jerk who simply wants to be part of "the event" so they can Snapchat and Instagram rather than watch the film. No one is going out at midnight for a new movie unless they are invested in actually watching it.

Other than that I generally wait till they come on cable and DVR them to watch later at home. I will occasionally hit a Redbox from time to time if I feel it won't get on cable anytime soon.

Reactions: Supermassive

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Depends on the type of movie and who I’m watching it with.

If it’s in theatres I’m focused the whole time. I don’t think about what I’m watching too much while watching but I like to think/talk about it after it’s over.

If it’s with friends at home, chances are it’s going to be a mediocre horror movie. In which case there is a lot of jokes being cracked and talking to each other or at the characters in the movie. Not in an overly snarky way, but just trying to have some fun during an otherwise forgettable film.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think I'm a pretty good person to watch movies with. Sometimes I try to figure out where a movie is going and may say one or two remarks during the movie about what I think is going to happen, but for the most part I just sit quietly and watch it through.

My mom, on the other hand, is the absolute worst person to watch movies with. For one, she gets up in the middle of the movie playing to go to the bathroom or something and doesn't say anything, which bugs me and makes me feel like I have to pause the movie. She gets so literal about every movie, she makes remarks like "Ohh, Yea! Like THAT would ever happen??" or "Why don't they just...". She also picks out the tiny little details that mean absolutely nothing to the movie and make remarks about it. "Her lipstick looks different in this scene...." etc. So freakin annoying.

Though, I have to say one of my biggest movie peeves is watching a movie with someone who is on their phone the whole time. This is usually my girlfriend, followed by the inevitable, "I don't get it... What is going on in this movie?". I don't know why but it just really bugs me when I'm watching a movie with someone and they don't pay attention.
My mom is both the First part of the 2nd Paragraph and the whole 3rd paragraph. I usually go on my phone mid movie when I see someone and am like who the f*** is that person and what do I know them from. Though only at home and never at the theater.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

You pretty much summed up the same reason why I hated Video on Trial so much.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I try not to have any specific routine. They're films, they aren't sacred, I just watch when I can where I can.

Though I do agree with not watching with other people, there are some that are fine but if anyone talks while watching a movie by interjecting their own personal experience or speculation then it'll ruin it for me.

Reactions: Amerika

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
My mom is both the First part of the 2nd Paragraph and the whole 3rd paragraph. I usually go on my phone mid movie when I see someone and am like who the **** is that person and what do I know them from. Though only at home and never at the theater.
Oh, I often go on my phone to see where I know an actor from or to see if they were in whatever show I think I've seen them in, but I hate when I'm watching a movie and look over and just see the person scrolling through social media, lol.

Reactions: hangman005

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
When I go to the theater, I get a snack, and then sit in the chair and watch the movie. At home I might glance at my phone while the film is playing but I still pay attention to what is happening. I probably do more on the phone if it's a boring movie though.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Usually with my wife, on the couch with drinks and snacks close at hand.

Sometimes we'll discuss the events or cast; in the case of horror/thriller/action stuff we might offer the characters advice or heckle their obvious desire to become zombie chow/alien fodder/bullet-riddled corpses when they display the survival instincts of suicidal lemmings, once in a while I'll pause to google something...or when my wife makes popcorn...

That's about it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If your talking during a movie you will probably be annoying other people. Also if your talking during a movie you will not be completely focused on the movie your watching which can cause you to miss something so I don't talk during a movie I just watch it.

After a movie is over I will ask typical things to someone I went with like what did you think of the movie and what was your favorite part those kinda things.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Usually on my own. I will go to the theater if something beautiful looking like BR2049 comes out, or something special in general, but beyond that I like the intimate setting of home.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad