How do you take care of your hockey sticks?

Squidriss

Feb 5, 2012
So i was looking it up and i couldnt really find anything on google or here so i thought you guys might have some ideas.

Personally whenever i see a chip on the shaft or blade i apply some shoe goo epoxy to seal em up. I also never let the stick rest on its blade, i know some sticks weigh almost nothing but still the blade is the most sensitive part of the stick i find.

Phil Connors*

So i was looking it up and i couldnt really find anything on google or here so i thought you guys might have some ideas.

Personally whenever i see a chip on the shaft or blade i apply some shoe goo epoxy to seal em up. I also never let the stick rest on its blade, i know some sticks weigh almost nothing but still the blade is the most sensitive part of the stick i find.

I sleep with it at night. The girlfriend gets the couch.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
haha, I occasionally use a stick bag. Retape them heel to toe every few games or so and run a strip of electrical along the bottom and toe.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
There's something about buying $40 composite sticks on Hockey Monkey that really discourages me from taking care of my sticks. :laugh:

I don't even retape them that often, probably once a month skating twice a week.

Kulluminati

Jan 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing special, I don't have stick bags or anything. I just retape every 2 games heel to toe, usually the toe of the stick starts to chip away piece by piece first in my experiences.

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just retape them every so often when it gets worn but really composite sticks dont really require much imo, just when the tape gets worn or theblade gets stepped on. I like to wrap the toe I think it helps prevent chips and splits.

Last edited:

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
I use " sex wax" found at my local source for sports. On the blade tape too, find it makes the tape last longer and a better feel for the puck.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
stick bag when i travel but other than that they sit in my room and i carry them to hockey, what to take care of, hockey is a physical sport with stickwork

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011

you can rest a stick on the blade and it wont damage it, look at any level of hockey

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Quick question for you guys taping heel to toe. Is there a specific reason why you guys tape that way? I always tape the opposite direction reasoning that the puck won't hit any of the edges of the tape as the puck travels across it. I figured that would make for a smoother shot and less overall tape wear. Never really tried it the other way.

kurt83

Feb 28, 2012
Quick question for you guys taping heel to toe. Is there a specific reason why you guys tape that way? I always tape the opposite direction reasoning that the puck won't hit any of the edges of the tape as the puck travels across it. I figured that would make for a smoother shot and less overall tape wear. Never really tried it the other way.

Taping heel-to-toe is for exactly that reason. The edges of the tape grip the puck on shots and saucers and help create more spin. Also if you tape it heel-to-toe you will notice that, on the bottom of the blade, the edges are towards the heel and your stick won't collect near as much snow/water.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Taping heel-to-toe is for exactly that reason. The edges of the tape grip the puck on shots and saucers and help create more spin. Also if you tape it heel-to-toe you will notice that, on the bottom of the blade, the edges are towards the heel and your stick won't collect near as much snow/water.

plus the spin on the puck helps stabilize shots and saucers, this making them more accurate

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Shoe goo, huh? I need to repair a chip on the heel of my stick. I might try that.

I don't do a thing. I lean them against the wall when I'm not playing. They're hockey sticks. Resting on the toe of the blade won't make a difference.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Stick bag, I drive a Mini so it's my arm rest when I drive to games. Replace the tape when it gets frayed or there are imperfections in the tape from slashes or hacks. I spray my tape with Scotch Guard (it was sitting in a cupboard for a jacket I had so I tried it and it seems to make the tape job last longer) and then I apply Blade Butter wax. Does it help? Who knows, we're hockey players, we do weird stuff. I also will clean my sticks with WD-40 to remove stick and puck marks so they look new.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I re-tape regularly. Other than that, I don't do anything.

One tip though: When you're banging your stick on the boards to celebrate a goal or a save, don't use the toe of your stick. Use the butt end instead, and save your blade some serious wear.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
Stick bag, I drive a Mini so it's my arm rest when I drive to games. Replace the tape when it gets frayed or there are imperfections in the tape from slashes or hacks. I spray my tape with Scotch Guard (it was sitting in a cupboard for a jacket I had so I tried it and it seems to make the tape job last longer) and then I apply Blade Butter wax. Does it help? Who knows, we're hockey players, we do weird stuff. I also will clean my sticks with WD-40 to remove stick and puck marks so they look new.

wow...

i just tape mine, not to protect the stick though lol

a stick's a stick, just be careful not to close a door on it (car, rink, etc..)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad