How do you see McDavid perform if placed into today’s CBJ, SJ or CHI?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Do you reckon he can carry them into play off contention? Do you see him still scoring 120+ points ?

I personally believe he will be around 100-110 point mark with any of these 3 teams - the supporting cast for SJ and CHI is just terrible and Columbus offensive system is very weak in production.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I don’t believe that one player can lead you to playoff contention, but I do think one player can lead you to a playoff spot or at least close to it.

It’s also not as easy to play at McDavids speed and that’s why not everyone has been successful next to him. A lot would depend on the dynamic of the team.

I think regardless he hits 110-130.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I feel like unleashed McDavid may even put up more points on a bottom feeder where his defense wouldn't be required at all.

As far as playoffs go, nah one player can't do it all himself, they'd probably be in the 9-12 range as opposed to bottom 3-5 in the league

• Wow
Reactions: ViD

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid with Bedard could be interesting, same thing with Johnny Hockey in Columbus, on SJ though, might be a little rougher.

With all that though, he would still be very potent player and make those teams stronger, would they make the playoffs with him though? If I was a betting man, maybe CBJ if he and Johnny could find some chemistry, CHI/SJ would be a tough ask of him, but if anyone could do it, would be him

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
One only has to look at Karlsson last year to get an answer to that question. He had a career season points-wise.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It would be like when he was young. They'd lean on him heavily for offense and he'd cheat a lot offensively. People would say he's a one-dimensional offensive player and not capable of leading a team to the playoffs.

There's only so much one player can do. It wouldn't really make sense to have him play a two-way game since the team would still suck and be scored on a lot. May as well at least entertain the fans. In EDM, as the team around him has gotten better, so has his defensive impact. I'm sure he could break 100 points easily on one of those bottom-feeders, which would be a pretty big achievement.

Reactions: sbhnur

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I feel like unleashed McDavid may even put up more points on a bottom feeder where his defense wouldn't be required at all.

As far as playoffs go, nah one player can't do it all himself, they'd probably be in the 9-12 range as opposed to bottom 3-5 in the league
Absolutely, just look at Erik Karlsson on SJ when he wasn't expected to play with any semblance of defensive responsibility.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
McDavid with Bedard could be interesting, same thing with Johnny Hockey in Columbus, on SJ though, might be a little rougher.

With all that though, he would still be very potent player and make those teams stronger, would they make the playoffs with him though? If I was a betting man, maybe CBJ if he and Johnny could find some chemistry, CHI/SJ would be a tough ask of him, but if anyone could do it, would be him
I hope to god we get to see them play together in the Olympics

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well, Columbus, for example, never had a 90 pts scorer and traditionally has been a low scoring franchise.

Panarin who now scored 115 points holds the CBJ franchise record at 88.

I am personally not sure even McDavid would score 120-130 at Columbus

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The team would be damn good when he is on the ice but pretty awful when he is not.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mcdavid isnt putting 120/130/140 on Chicago if you replaced Bedard

He would be the only player who if he played there I expect to be a 100-110 pt player on the 2023-2024 hawks

I wouldnt expect Kucherov or Mackinnon to put up 100-110 on Chicago this year. I think Mcdavid has the ability to take over at a bit higher level than either if he was in a situation where he said f*** defense lets make some bums in 40 pt players (kaiser, earnwhistle, raddish) and some 3rd liners into top 6 guys (Dickinson, Foligno, Kurashev

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Karlsson had 100 points last year in SJ who were awful. McDavid would still hit close to the numbers he's hitting now but whatever team he's on would be brutal without him on the ice.

Reactions: Lord Flashheart

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He will still be way over PPG
But double digits in pts

On what basis? 19, 20, 21 and 22 year old McDavid played in a terrible situation in Edmonton. Still has never had a full season under 100 points. Drai wasn't yet even an 80 point guy, Nuge was scoring ~50 points a season. Oilers didn't even have a defenseman capable of 40 points in those years.

The Oilers situation back then sets a very low bar for teammates in Chicago, Columbus & SJ.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
A player like McDavid in a relatively good market should making getting UFA relatively easier, get management really exited and going for it, etc... I would expect an even quicker turn around than Edmonton had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad