How do you rank these Leafs' Defense Cores?

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
The Toronto Maple Leafs have had many great defensive cores over the years, but which was the best?

There was the 1930s gang, led by spirited King Clancy, Hap Day, and Red Horner. From the time Clancy joined the team in 1930-31, until the 1936-37 season, these three led the Leafs to 4 Stanley Cup Finals, winning only once. They were joined by Alex Levinsky most of this time, and for a while Flash Hollett. This trio was a very dangerous offensive group, pitching in 112 goals in this 7 year span. Hollett had 26 points in 48 games in his one full season with the club.

Next, the late 1940s/early 1950s dynasty. After the World War, Smythe retooled the Leafs defense, bringing in a bunch of green defenders to protect Broda. Between 1946-47 and 1950-51, the Leafs won 4 Stanley Cups. The Gold Dust Twins, Jimmy Thomson and Gus Mortson led the way as the top pairing. Bill Barilko was joined by Boesch, Juzda, and later Flaman. Lynn often played defense as a swing man of sorts. Wally Stanowski was around in the early years before being shipped off. The main trio of Thomson, Mortson, and Barilko combined for only 55 goals over 5 seasons, but were revered for their toughness and defensive ability. It is worth noting though, that among defenders in this era, Thomson was 3rd in points, Mortson was 7th, and Barilko was 14th.

The next prominent group was the 1960s boys. The solid pairing of Tim Horton and Allan Stanley led the way with Carl Brewer and Bob Baun behind them. Between 1961-62 and 1966-67 they won 4 Stanley Cups. Kent Douglas was the usual 5th defender behind these fellows, with Larry Hillman and Marcel Pronovost also having over 100 games in these 6 seasons.

How do these three groups rank? All excellent defensive cores of course, HHOF quality players everywhere...I feel like the 1940s group is often overlooked (for example the "official" Maple Leafs One Hundred had Mortson and Thomson ranked very low)....is that at all justified?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Interesting thread, nice work.... I'll go with the "60's Boys" in the #1 spot followed by the 40's at #2, the more rambunctious grouping featuring Clancy in the #3 slot, and end it with a question; if you were to pick an All Time Leafs Defence, and we'll go with 6 guys plus a Utllity Player, who would you select from these groupings exclusively?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
How about:
Salming - Clancy
Stanley - Horton
Mortson - Thomson
Brewer

The first pair is the only patchwork group there, but Salming himself played with a left-shooting rover type in Ian Turbull, and those two are just too talented to ignore. Brewer's my pick for best of the rest once you get the other two pairings in there.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Ah, misread the word exclusively.

Might as well get Baun in there to play with Brewer, and use Clancy as the swing man if we're playing by those rules.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I wish I could've seen them all. I've watched footage for the 60's Leafs, but only read about the 30's and 40's Leafs. The defencemen that stand out to me when I think of these eras:

1930's: Clancy, Day, Horner
1940's: Thomson, Mortson, Barilko
1960's: Horton, Stanley, Brewer, Baun

I'd take the 1960's defencemen mostly due to familiarity, but I think the 40's core is underrated somewhat. You never hear about them, and not even one of them is in the Hall of Fame. I'd love to have seen how Barilko's career would have unfolded had he not disappeared in bush country. He won 4 cups in his first 5 years in the league, and had his whole career ahead of him. Though I suppose that he added to Leafs lore in his own way through his disappearance and subsequent curse of the 50's.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Toronto Maple Leafs have had many great defensive cores over the years, but which was the best?

There was the 1930s gang, led by spirited King Clancy, Hap Day, and Red Horner. From the time Clancy joined the team in 1930-31, until the 1936-37 season, these three led the Leafs to 4 Stanley Cup Finals, winning only once. They were joined by Alex Levinsky most of this time, and for a while Flash Hollett. This trio was a very dangerous offensive group, pitching in 112 goals in this 7 year span. Hollett had 26 points in 48 games in his one full season with the club.

Next, the late 1940s/early 1950s dynasty. After the World War, Smythe retooled the Leafs defense, bringing in a bunch of green defenders to protect Broda. Between 1946-47 and 1950-51, the Leafs won 4 Stanley Cups. The Gold Dust Twins, Jimmy Thomson and Gus Mortson led the way as the top pairing. Bill Barilko was joined by Boesch, Juzda, and later Flaman. Lynn often played defense as a swing man of sorts. Wally Stanowski was around in the early years before being shipped off. The main trio of Thomson, Mortson, and Barilko combined for only 55 goals over 5 seasons, but were revered for their toughness and defensive ability. It is worth noting though, that among defenders in this era, Thomson was 3rd in points, Mortson was 7th, and Barilko was 14th.

The next prominent group was the 1960s boys. The solid pairing of Tim Horton and Allan Stanley led the way with Carl Brewer and Bob Baun behind them. Between 1961-62 and 1966-67 they won 4 Stanley Cups. Kent Douglas was the usual 5th defender behind these fellows, with Larry Hillman and Marcel Pronovost also having over 100 games in these 6 seasons.

How do these three groups rank? All excellent defensive cores of course, HHOF quality players everywhere...I feel like the 1940s group is often overlooked (for example the "official" Maple Leafs One Hundred had Mortson and Thomson ranked very low)....is that at all justified?
:laugh: This thread seriously needs the discussion of coaching!

The '30's Leafs were too focused on offense, as a HHOFer from the team has admitted.

The '40's Leafs had Hap Day enforcing a defensive style, where the center was like a third dman (except Apps, who was too offensive-oriented to fit into his plan). According to one book on Stanley Cup history, Day was the greatest playoff coach in history for what he got out of the troops when they had been constantly outplayed in the regular season.

Punch Imlach re-introduced a defensive-orientation after a failed fifties.

The two greatest Leafs of all time are coaches Day and Imlach imo. Then a couple of centers and a couple of goalies. Defensemen? They're farther down the list and NOT to be talked about relative to cup wins without reference to coaches and centers (has any team let alone Leafs ever had a better trio of centers than T.O. had after acquiring Max Bentley? Not according to a couple of sources).

HapDay2.jpg

img001.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad