How do you rank our forwards?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Rank them based on importance to the team.

I'll go with...

1. Phil Kessel (most dynamic scorer)
2. Joffrey Lupul (most dominant forward)
3. Nazem Kadri (turning into impactful forward)
4. Jay McClement (best penalty killer we've had in years)
5. James van Riemsdyk (secondary scoring)
6. Nikolai Kulemin (great complimentary forward)
7. Tyler Bozak (really good season as default 1st line centre)
8. Leo Komarov (difference maker)
9. Mikhail Grabovski (tough season but still a decent season as 3rd line centre)
10. Clarke MacArthur (good secondary scoring)
11. Matt Frattin (adds depth to lineup, injuries have been a factor)
12. Frazer McLaren (our best fighter, can actually play the game)

contour

Mar 31, 2011
1. Kessel
2. Lupul
3. Kadri
4. JVR
5. Bozak
6. McClemment
7. Kulemin
9. Komarov
10. Frattin/Grabo/MacA - Underperforming

I didn't include Orr and McLaren because they fill a niche, but important role.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Good question. The PK is important so that makes McClement and Kulemin really important.

Because of this:

1. Kessel
2. Kadri
3. McClement
4. Kulemin
5A. JvR
5B. Lupul
6. Bozak
7. Grabovski
8. Orr
9. Mclaren
10. MacArthur
11. Komarov
12. Frattin
13. Hamilton
14. Colborne

High calibre offense on top, followed closely by high calibre defense, then just a ranking of the most important pieces to me.

I think Frattin has shown his true colours after an amazing start as a completely replaceable player. Bozak and Grabo are important regardless of the haters. That's just me though.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Ranking right now, ignoring future potential and contract status, my top 10 would be:
1. Kessel
2. Bozak
3. Lupul
4. Kadri
5. McClemant
6. Kulemin
7. JVR
8. Grabo
9. MacArthur
10. Komarov

If Lupul played more this year I would quite possibly have him #1.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
1. Kessel
2. Kadri
3. Lupul
4. Bozak
5. JVR
6. McClement
7. Kulemin
8. Grabovski
9. Komarov
10. McLaren
11. Orr
12. MacArthur

Yea, I'm harsh on Mac. I put him at the bottom because all players are brought in to fulfill a role. Mac's role is supposed to be support scoring, but he's really not enough of an offensive threat to warrant it. I know he's outscored Grabovski, but Grabovski has inherent value in being a centerman, and he's more of individual threat than Mac.

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
1. Kessel
2. Lupul
3. Kadri
4. JVR
5. Bozak
6. McClemment
7. Kulemin
9. Komarov
10. Frattin/Grabo/MacA - Underperforming

I didn't include Orr and McLaren because they fill a niche, but important role.

I second this.

LadyLeaf

Apr 14, 2013
Toronto
1. Lupul
2. Kessel
3. Kadri
4. McClement
5. JvR
6. Kulemin
7. Bozak
8. Komarov
9. Grabovski
10. MacArthers

Even though Lupul hasn't played a lot of games due to injuries, whenever he does play he's our best overall player. Plus he's sexy, that wins extra points :)

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
You guys have short-term memory, Grabovski has consistently been the Leafs best forward not named Kessel or Lupul for years up until this season. He has had a rough half-season but he still deserves some credit for past performances.

1. Kessel
2. Lupul
3. Kadri
4. JVR
5. Grabovski
6. Bozak
7. Kulemin
8. McClement
9. Macarthur
10. Komarov
11/12. Orr and McClaren (love what they've done for the team and its image though)

EDIT:
And this is just an attempt at an objective ranking, not saying for example that I'd rather have Macarthur on the team than Komarov (because Komarov plays a more niche role and we have lots of what Macarthur brings), just that I think he's better at hockey.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Good question. The PK is important so that makes McClement and Kulemin really important.

Because of this:

1. Kessel
2. Kadri
3. McClement
4. Kulemin
5A. JvR
5B. Lupul
6. Bozak
7. Grabovski
8. Orr
9. Mclaren
10. MacArthur
11. Komarov
12. Frattin
13. Hamilton
14. Colborne

High calibre offense on top, followed closely by high calibre defense, then just a ranking of the most important pieces to me.

I think Frattin has shown his true colours after an amazing start as a completely replaceable player. Bozak and Grabo are important regardless of the haters. That's just me though.

This only I would move Komarov to 8th. He is a PK machine and can hit.

noto0661

Feb 2, 2004
1. Lupul
2. Kessel
3. Bozak - Possibly the most versatile player we have.
4. Kadri - Has cooled off a bit.
5. McClement - PK Boss
6. JVR - If he didn't go missing for a few games at a time he'd be #3. Until then #6.
7. Kulemin - PK Boss #2
8. MacArthur
9. Komarov
10. Grabovski
11. Frattin
12. Mclaren
13. Orr

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Rank them based on importance to the team.

I'll go with...

1. Phil Kessel (most dynamic scorer)
2. Joffrey Lupul (most dominant forward)
3. Nazem Kadri (turning into impactful forward)
4. Jay McClement (best penalty killer we've had in years)
5. James van Riemsdyk (secondary scoring)
6. Nikolai Kulemin (great complimentary forward)
7. Tyler Bozak (really good season as default 1st line centre)
8. Leo Komarov (difference maker)
9. Mikhail Grabovski (tough season but still a decent season as 3rd line centre)
10. Clarke MacArthur (good secondary scoring)
11. Matt Frattin (adds depth to lineup, injuries have been a factor)
12. Frazer McLaren (our best fighter, can actually play the game)

I agree with this but I'd put kulie over JVR because of the pk and his big body presence and ability to create space.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. J.Lupul
2. P.Kessel
3. N.Kadri

4. J.VanRiemsdyk
5. T.Bozak
6. N.Kulemin

7. M.Grabovski
8. J.McClement
9. C.MacArthur

10. L.Komarov
11. M.Frattin
12. C.Orr

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
How could you possibly put anybody other than Lupul or Kessel in front of Kadri?

The JVR placement is a bit suspect IMO, but I vouch for having McClement way up near the top. Man damn near single handedly turned our PK troubles around.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
1) Joffrey Lupul
2) Nazem Kadri
3) Phil Kessel
4) James van Reimsdyk
5) Jay McClement
6) Clarke Macarthur
7) Mikhail Grabovski
8) Nikolai Kulemin
9) Matt Frattin
10) Leo Komarov
11) Frazer McLaren
12) Tyler Bozak
13) Colton Orr

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
1. Lupul - when healthy he is the leader of our forwards hands down. Brings it all.
2. Kessel - insanely talented offensively, game breaking ability, getting better defensively.
3. Kadri - Brings that much needed offensive depth that Toronto has needed forever and is a pain in the butt for our opponents to play against.
4. McClement - where was our penalty kill without him? He may be the top shut down forward in the NHL.
5. Bozak - His ability to win key faceoffs at the most important times of the game is critical to our success and his chemistry with Kessel is obvious.
6. JVR - A big skilled winger who knows what to do in front of the net for screens and tips...lots of untapped upside too.
7. Kulimen - Seems to finally be getting his offense back...after McClement he is the best defensive forward on our team.
8. Komarov - this little bugger is a great energy player for our team...will do anything to help the team win.
9. Orr/Mclaren do their job as physical players...both chip in the odd back breaking goal and both beat the snot out of anyone who so much as looks at our stars wrong.
10. Grabovski - Last year this guy would have been among the top players I chose but he is having a miserable season. Hope he picks it up in the playoffs.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Going by THIS season:
1. Nazem Kadri (practically carried the team the first half of the season and makes most of his linemates better)
2. Phil Kessel (leading scorer)
3. McClement (Penalty Kill Success)

4. Joffrey Lupul (he's 4th only because he played like 10 games)
5. Nikolai Kulemin (defense and penalty kills)
6. Tyler Bozak (faceoffs)

7. James Van Reimsdyk (Streaky but good)
8. Leo Komarov (Hits and good agitator)
9. Frazer McLaren (Pretty good Goon)

10. Clarke MacArthur (decent but could be better)
11. Mikhail Grabovski (underachieving)
12. Matt Frattin (huge drought after his knee injury)

I'm not going to bother with Orr or Hamilton.

unknown8

Mar 9, 2013
Kessel 1A
Lupul 1B
Kadri
Bozak -
Mclement -
Kulemin -
JVR
Komorov
Grabo
Orr
Mclaren
Mcarthur
Frattin

Kessel and Lupul are interchangable too me. I think our defensive forwards (Mclement,Kulemin,Bozak) deserve too be high on that list. They do alot for our team that goes unnoticed. When JVR's rolling he can moved up a cuple spots..

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I went on the basis on losing who for the playoffs would be most devastating

1. McClement [I think he makes our PK what it is, and he shuts down other top guys, with out him we're not the same team]
2. Kessel [Below McClement, cause if he goes down we do have others who can score, but he's a huge piece]
3 T. Bozak/Kadri [I know Bozak seems high but imagine our lines with out him, he allows us to have two scoring lines, with out him it would be just the Kadri line, and Kessel maybe playing with Grabp, we need to have two scoring lines, cause neither one is strong enough, and thse are our two pivots in our biggest area of weakness]
5. Lupul [He brings everything, everyone plays bigger, more confident, more energy when he's there]
6 T - JVR/Kulemin [Couldn't decide what was more important, we have a lot of streaky guys, and need at least 1 or 2 of them hot at all times, JvR is one of those guys, Kulie though is one of the main reasons we're able to shut down other teams scoring lines, both would be huge to lose, but we could manage]
7. Komarov [Grit, draws penalities, a pest, something we sorely lack and we can see a big difference when he's in the line up]

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I like how well McClement has played this year and he has filled a very obvious weakness for TO but I would say the greatest reason for TO's PK success has to be the goaltending. If TO still had the Monster I think it is obvious that the PK would still be ineffective and McClement and co. wouldn't look so good. Great goaltending can make up for a lot of deficiencies and make just about anybody look like a genius.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Nazem Kadri - Turning elite. Hits. scores. amazing vision. everyone who plays with him turns hot. complete package. When we were struggling he kept us in it. Remember his hatrick against the Islanders? We had no business winning that game. Kadri stepped up and carried this team.
Phil Kessel - Like Kadri, he generates the offence on his line - one of the best offensive players in the league.
Joffrey Lupul - is the best finisher and works great with star players. wish we could clone him and put one with Naz one with phil.
Tyler Bozak - he does all the little things. He's really not replaceable.
James Van Riemsdyk - rare skill set. power forward sniper. when he's streaking he looks like a superstar.
Jay Mcclement - he's been amazing. AMAZING. pk has been amazing. he's amazing. i love him. oh yeah, he's amazing.
Nikolai Kulemin - great defensive forward. very consistent. can play in a top 6 role or bottom 6 role effectively.
Mikhail Grabovski - he's an above average hockey player... half of the time.
Leo Komarov - Amazing in his role. We gave Armstrong 3 million to do what Komorav is doing at a third of that.
Clarke Macarthur - he can play in a top 6 but he's a tweener. good depth guy, but he's replaceable.
Matt Frattin - has some grit, has some finish. same as above... good depth player at the price.
Frazer Mclaren - not a bad 4th liner. We got him for free and he's better then Mike Brown who we got a pick for. That GM got fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad