How do you, GM of the San Jose Sharks, fix the Sharks?

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I agree with the vast majority on the board when it comes to the consensus on the Sharks. Unfortunately, Wilson has backed himself into a corner. Hasso seems like the type of owner that wants to win now and has given DW the unlimited resources, support, and tanning hours he needs to bring a cup to SJ. If he goes to Hasso two years after signing Karlsson to a near $100M deal and says he wants to rebuild he’ll be fired on the spot. I’m afraid Doug will keep doing anything and everything to avoid going into a much needed full rebuild.

I also suspect that Wilson is safe as long as the overall franchise financials look sound. If the numbers look on par with the league and there's a path to good revenue, I think the bean counters will give Wilson a pass. Maybe they end up chalking up the next 2-3 seasons as special league-wide circumstances and call it even. I'd still like to see better though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I also suspect that Wilson is safe as long as the overall franchise financials look sound. If the numbers look on par with the league and there's a path to good revenue, I think the bean counters will give Wilson a pass. Maybe they end up chalking up the next 2-3 seasons as special league-wide circumstances and call it even. I'd still like to see better though.
We also don't really know the situation in the FO. It's totally possible that they recognize what a shit position they're in and are looking for ways to fix things. And if he has a corrective action plan that's in process then I'd bet he's safe. Maybe they tried to fix stuff over the summer with signings and everybody just straight up rejected them...right?

They are probably are just super delusional about the quality of the team right now and we're in it until Hasso fires DW.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Maybe under the previous ownership groups. Plattner seems far more sensitive to on-ice results than off-ice financials.

The simplest way I can put it is: Quit pretending the solutions to our problems are in-house.

The farce comes from necessity. Sharks don't have the assets or the cap space to do otherwise.

Perhaps it is time for some perfidy on DW's part. Discover that Jones is allergic to his equipment and that Vlasic has religious objections to being parted from his dog.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I mean its time for DW to start using up some of that "players GM" capital and play hardball

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I would make a few deals at the deadline to start to sell off players on 1yr deals...sell high on Donato and dump Sorensen, Nieto, and send Marleau wherever he wants to go. After this season, I would clean house. This team is officially purgatory bound even if they have a .500 season, so I'd take the enormous hit and commit to it. Here's what I think the realistic steps would be (generally):

1) Fire DW...I think he's a solid GM, but I don't trust a guy who has been here for 15+ years and has never rebuilt to tear down his creation. It sucks, but it is what it is. Fire the coaching staff as well even though I don't think Boughner is that bad...he's been here too long with this core as well. He isn't a coach you keep around for a rebuild. Firing Sommer goes without saying since he's a dinosaur.

2) The contracts...I tried to avoid dream world scenarios in terms of who they can move, where, and for what.

A. I think the Vlasic and Jones contracts are not movable given the performance/age/NMC/future potential factors, I would buy them out. Sorry Hasso, but if you're going to fork over a lot of money, this is part of the package.
B. You max out on value for Labanc, Meier, and Hertl. I really like Hertl, but he'll be in his early 30s by the time the team is ready to contend. I don't see Labanc and Meier as guys who will take 2-3 more years of full on suckage in a positive way...trade them even if it is kind of trading low. Hopefully we can land a couple 1st round picks and nice prospects there.
C. Next, I can't see Couture and Kane taking the rebuild well either, so they're gone too. I think there's a shot that Seattle might pick up one of them. Kane at 4yr x 7M left for a very solid 2nd line winger, and he'll be happy to go there since it's close to his home town in Vancouver. Couture would be a great 2C type leader with a strong playoff resume for an expansion franchise. I think Kane is the more likely option since he probably has 3-4 good years left. Finding a trade partner for Couture is tough, but maybe a playoff contender looking to use him as a top line scoring winger would do it if we take a bad contract back. How about Louie Eriksson + Ferland + 2nd round pick from Vancouver?
D. Burns and Karlsson: Burns would be easier to move value-wise as I think 4yr x 8M per is not a total disaster, but there would definitely be a bad deal coming back to San Jose. I would take a 2nd round pick + Radulov if the Stars would be open to that. With Pavelski coming off the books the following season, the Stars might be willing to do that. Karlsson is of course the hardest, and there would definitely be big time $$$ coming back. He'd definitely be interested in playing with Hedman, so maybe something around a second round pick, Tyler Johnson, and Gourde/Killorn coming back for Karlsson (25% retained)? Those two guys have 3-4 years left on their deals instead of 6. Karlsson could look great with Hedman on the top pair in Tampa. Another potential option would be Nashville if Karlsson wants to go there...we'd be taking back Ryan Johansen in that deal. Maybe Ekholm-Karlsson would be an effective pair there.

3) The new coach you would hire in place of Boughner would be a younger guy who would grow with the team as it grows...ie it's okay if he struggles for 2-3 years as the team tanks. Same thing goes for the new AHL bench boss.

So what does this all look like? A lot of money coming off the books with Hasso eating a good amount of $$ with the Jones and Vlasic buyouts (might be some $$ with retention in the trades too), and with prospects and 1st round picks coming back for our better assets and 2nd round picks for our shittier assets. If some of those guys don't mind staying around for a 3 year rebuild, it'd be great to keep them as well without taking on bad value in trades (although I highly doubt they will). The team would consist of tons of playing time for younger guys to see what they can do in big roles (Blichfeld, Chmelevski, Gregor, Balcers, Chekhovich) + some vets we pick up in the trades (Radulov next year, Johnson, Gourde/Killorn) and short-term FA vet signings. As they become more ready, Merkley, Bordealeau, Robins, Weisblatt, and Gushchin would get integrated. And of course the goal would be to have 3 consecutive lottery picks + maybe a few teams that we traded with falter and we luck into some more picks.

Sorry for the long ass post, but this is my overall idea. It would be 3 very dark years, but with the flat cap and prospects of this team, that's what I would do. /end

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
GM Red Light Lover’s 3-point plan to success!

1) Find your identity
2) Clean up the delivery
3) Roster massaging

There seems to be a need for a shift in the locker room where the players feel they WANT to play for each other. This team is talented but I feel the sloppy play comes from a lack of trust in each other and lack of desire to step up. That starts, to-a-man in the locker room with the right voices and the right motivations.

Every person in the organization needs to be on the same page about what the Sharks are going to do on the ice. Are we a fast team? A grinder? Do we dump the puck or carry it in. Are we disciplined? Feisty? Well pick one and do it better than every other team in the league. And this also reflects on my last point. If the Sharks are small, feisty, fast, skills. Move on from the players who don’t reflect that game.

Line Chemistry seems to be missing and that’s something that needs to be addressed this season. Find pairings that play well together and keep them together. If trading for a player who better compliments a player/line will make that line better then make the change.

Then. Success!

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Short version:

Forwards - lack of top six talent at center - need legit 1C and 2C. Think Jumbo in his prime at 1C flanked by Donato and Hertl. Pavs in his prime at 2C flanked by Meier and Kane/Cooch. Banc stapled to true 3rd scoring line with appropriate line mates. One a power forward type like Clowe and other a center who can shoot. Kane or Cooch dropping are both too expensive for a 3rd line winger, trade either one or both.

Defense - trade one to two of EK65, Vlasic, or Burns - in that order. EK65’s play to pay ratio is way out of whack. Vlasic appears disengaged

Goal - Jones gone by whatever means hurts the books the least. That experiment should have ended two years ago. Dubs finishes season as #1, pray an unknown ala Nabby back in the day coming up has a breakout performance.

Basically, a lot of pieces are missing

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Ok, this is my take. Sharks fans won't accept losing for a normal rebuild. I don't think most of the people here would be able to handle it. That being the case... A legit Franchise center is the #1 need that I would want to address. There are currently 2 franchise centers who may be available in trade and both are in the east. Eichel and Barkov. I don't know those teams cap situation and I'm not spending the time to research so I'm not claiming this will fit. In general I'm sticking with the quantity with some quality blueprint for trades as far as what I'm sending back.

If it's Eichel (assuming he truly wants out like the rumors suggest)... Also assuming Couture will go there. Couture retaining $2mil, Labanc, 2021 1st, 2022 3rd, mid grade prospect for Eichel and a 2022 2nd. Sabres get 2 plug and play forwards and a chance to draft another very good player. If it takes another later round pick or mid range prospects to get it done that's fine too. No way Eichel stays after watching other players force their way out of crappy situations. Taylor Hall is likely walking after this season too so they would benefit from having 2 top 6 NHLers locked up for a little while. If Okposo has to be factored in there some how then the Sharks don't retain on Couture and adjust picks and prospect to make it work. Key things are that the Sharks move Couture, Labanc and the 2021 first for Eichel and the 2022 2nd. This is a draft day deal as far as timeline but it's the blockbuster so I wanted to highlight it first.

If it's Barkov, similar deal but maybe has to be reworked if they can't take Labanc. If that's the case then hang on to Labanc for the time being. I don't think Barkov wants out so he will cost more IMO. Same for happening at the draft.

Trade at the TDL - Sorenson, Patty, Dubnyk, Nieto, Noesen, ..? Not sure who else is a UFA. Should net a few picks depending on their seasons. Even swapping picks to make this happen would be useful ie trade Sorenson and a 3rd for a teams 2nd. I would do that with anyone who has lesser value. Anything to maximize my draft position.

Expansion draft - Send the Sabers 2nd to Seattle to take Jones. If he plays well the rest of this season, make it a 4th or 5th.

At the Draft - Trade Burns to Dallas or somewhere that wants him with the key piece coming back being an NHL ready prospect (Goalie, wing, or center), 2021 3rd & a 2022 2nd. I still think Burns has value around the league and a team that looking for an offensive defenseman would be willing to pay a price for him considering his consistency and durability.

Tell vlasic to accept a trade or he'll ride the pine for the rest of the contract. He's never skating for the team in a regular season or playoff game again. I'm f***ing done with his ass. Send him to whoever can be convinced to take him and retain 2-3 million. Send a mid range prospect and a 2021 2nd. If I need to add more pieces of lesser value to make it happen fine. Solve it with quantity over quality similar to how the Sharks got EK65.

Make a decision on Kane. I prefer to keep him. I would consider giving him an A and telling him to set an example. Sometimes you have to give more responsibility to the wild ones, helps them keep things in perspective. If that doesn't work out I bet he would accept a trade to Seattle and they're starting fresh so trade him for 2021 3rd, 2022 2nd and a 2023 1st. If something can be worked out for a player Seattle took from another team in the expansion draft that's more desirable then that works too. Adjust the picks as needed. Kane is still a 1st line winger who's relatively young and on a good deal. That has value despite what this ridiculously fickle fan base thinks. GMs aren't scared of guys who take penalties the way this board is. Notice you haven't heard the coaches complain about him taking penalties (at least not that I've read). Again, I prefer to keep him.

I'm keeping Hertl, Meier (I don't think he's done developing), ek65 (who becomes captain), EK9 (see above), Labanc (see above), the 2020 class, Donato, JL, Merkley, Chi twins, Dahlen, Simek, Ferraro, BP, etc...

Next season I bring Dahlen and Checkovich over to fill out the roster, Sign a goalie, sign a middle 6 center if necessary. Give 2020 draft picks the chance to make the team, if not, wait for them until next season and sign whatever fill in player I need for the season. Not opposed to bringing back a guy like Nieto and even Patty if he's still playing. Has to be with the understanding that he won't get into every game. Dudes a great example for staying in shape and being a professional. Merkley and BP battle it out for ice time behind EK65. When one falters the other plays. I still think Middleton will be a serviceable 3rd line D-man. Knyzhov is a lock at this point, Sharks have a couple other young D Kniazev(?) who are supposed to be pretty good. I like the internal competition and I like the mix of talent and ages.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but this is my rough, stream of consciousness take.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Ferraro, Hertl, Donato, Leonard. Maybe Meier. All other players gotta be traded or something if it’s possible.
As I said before, DW makes great trades, but he is very bad on resigning contracts.
I know you don’t like this opinion, but this team was destroyed after resigning EK65 on that awful contract. I said it since the first day. I just was hoping that DW knows what he does.
After that we lost core and workhorse players - Dillon, Braun, Pavs, Nyquist, etc, draft picks, prospects and team culture because of 92 million reasons. We just hadn’t cap space for them.
And even after that DW mad the same mistake again paying 4,7 mln to Labanc. 4-year deal for a player with just one good season. I understand that Kevin made discount for the team one year ago but it’s still too much.
And of course now DW can’t even say about rebuild because he wasted so much Plattner’s money for few players and rebuild means that money and players’ prime just burned for nothing.
I don’t blame DW for Burns’, Jones’, Kane’s, Couture’s contracts - they are all was paid relevantly on their performance. But terms were too long. And he overpaid Vlasic, EK65, and Labanc. Both on amounts and terms.
We are thin on high-level prospects, draft picks, and even our locker-room is much worse without Pavs, Jumbo, Dillon and other good guys. If you read Meier interview for Swiss newspaper and John Scott’s podcast you understand that team has locker-room problems.
We are haven’t even chance for classic rebuild because the only thing this team has are overpaid long-term contracts. And we can’t buy out those because terms are too long.
I’m sure everyone here likes Burnzie because he plays with heart, he is very friendly guy who can build good culture inside the team. He costs every penny he was paid. And he will be useful till his contract will end. But now team needs to trade him just because of DW’s mistakes.
I know DW can make few good trades but at this moment team overall bad.
I’m just ready for couple years tanking and I hope DW will not waste our first round picks.
I’m sorry for my bad English, but I love SJ Sharks since 90s so much and I’m very sad to see what’s going on and I just wanted to say all I feel now. My post is too pessimistic but it is how I see current situation. And I believe Sharks will be great again.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Hire John Tortorella or a hardass coach that is going to bench guys when they dog it. Then maybe we will block some shots.

Reactions: tiburon12

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I mean its time for DW to start using up some of that "players GM" capital and play hardball
Agreed.It's never too late for your first time forcing a player out despite a NMC. :naughty:
Hire John Tortorella or a hardass coach that is going to bench guys when they dog it. Then maybe we will block some shots.
I'm not against this but I would wait on a new coach because I like BB's adjustments so far and it sounds like he's had some serious conversations with the top guys who are failing so far. I think it's a good staff that needs a little more help with the roster construction.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I know literally nothing about football, so I was wondering if you could elaborate on this a bit. I do know the Giants and A's.
Contracts don't work the same way in Football. They pay out the bonuses early so they can cut the player after a couple years if their play declines and there won't be a big cap hit of dead money. NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts so totally different situation. NHL ends up the same as far as a handful of guys making all the money and staying with the team but they can't get out of the bad contracts without crippling the franchise. Personally, I would love it of the NHL adapted some parts of the NFL system or maybe the luxury tax thing from the NBA. NHL doesn't have the revenue streams that those other 2 do though which I think limits their negotiations.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Yeah I think I'd rather have Gallant. Torts is awful. Modern day Mike Keenan.

I'd also be happy with Boudreau, or if you're going full tank, an up and coming young coach wouldn't be awful either. If some shitty retread like Torts was hired, I'd probably stop watching for a little while...and I almost never say that because I know deep down that I'll come back.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad