How do you get rid of/reduce commercials without losing revenue?

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
The only league where it stops me from watching more of it is the NFL, and the thing is, I actually think CFB and the CFL handle commercial breaks alot better.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I don't have a problem with the NHL and commercials because its a non stop game where it's possible to run the whole period without a break.

In other sports, the breaks are large part, manufactured. Why the NFL needs an ad break after a punt or kickoff annoys me to no end. Although to be fair, they get paid boatloads for it.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
For the first 2 months of Pen's games, I had to see this commercial every. single. break.

I went insane. Thank God that it's moved on to the creepy person in the laundry mat stalking some girl.

But yeah... aside from the quality of commercials, I have no problem with how the NHL handles it. They have to mop up the ice and stuff anyways, so unless they dress the ice girls in ads while they shovel the snow off the ice and we watch them instead... I don't think it can get any better.

You went insane..... Watching Jets TV on TSN I go insane exactly at the moment I see..... The following commercial is shown at least 10 times per game..... I CAN'T STAND IT and hit mute and have to look away until I think it's over..... Pretty sad if that's the only advertising TSN can drum up.

btw, that burly guy in camouflage wearing those stupid glasses must be real hard up for a pay cheque; his friends and family must howl every time they see him rubbing his neck....

BUT WAIT, IF YOU ORDER NOW YOU'LL GET TWO PAIRS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE (only pay an enormous amount for extra shipping) and you'll be disgusted with the quality and usefulness. My daughter said there was a couple wearing those things at the Jets game last Friday and every time they showed the couple on the big screen the crowd howled with laughter...... I wonder why? :laugh:

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
It is interesting though for foreigners. Ive heard of a friend taking an Australian to a live NHL game And thought the commercial breaks were dragging.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
NASCAR doesn't have commercial breaks, but they jam a lot of advertising in. Could be a model for all sports, go split screen for 10 seconds and play a little jingle, avoid the 90 second breaks. But for the NHL, they also use those breaks to scrape the ice, so probably not going to happen.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
TV commercials are fine with me but the ads on the glass (on TV broadcasts) and logos splattered all over the ice are very distracting and ruin the game presentation..... these are the ads that need to be league-regulated. When NHL jerseys are filled with ads it will be even worse.

The difference between the NHL and the other 4 majors are those leagues don't have their playing surfaces littered with logos, taking away from the product itself (the game).

masa2009

May 11, 2011
NASCAR doesn't have commercial breaks, but they jam a lot of advertising in. Could be a model for all sports, go split screen for 10 seconds and play a little jingle, avoid the 90 second breaks. But for the NHL, they also use those breaks to scrape the ice, so probably not going to happen.

You talk about it like ice scrapping is a valid motive for stopping the game.
It has a negligible impact, and is just used as filler for the ad breaks.
In leagues where they don't have commercial breaks, they just don't scrape the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad