How do you fix the Wings?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I dont know if he would come here, but I would love to grab Chris Tanev to have him play alongside Edvinsson. Buyout Holl, move Maatta, whatever but Tanev would be such a solid upgrade to our defense.
Pesce or Matt Roy have way more miles left on their tires.

Reactions: DatsDeking

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, if we have a chance to grab them i'm all for it too. I just thought of Tanev cause he would be more of a stop gap RHD as we wait for ASP to come over.
If ASP is 2-3 years away, that's the first half of a contract for either of those two and then they can slide to pairing 3 if ASP is truly top 4 as hoped.

Roy is a Detroit kid too, so it might not be very hard to convince him.

Reactions: letsgowings9999

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Again.. we need more talent...

In nets
On defense
Upfront

Watching the NYR/Car game last night and you realize how far away we truly still are..

It's gonna take several more years but it will not happen solely via our own draft picks...

SY needs to inject more proven talent starting this summer

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, still works, just need better defense. Fabbri's contract will roll of the books too next year. Still have RFA forwards in Veleno/Berggren to sign, likely resigning Fischer, so Idk. Plug those three in if you want or leave them out. Fabbri could be traded at TDL for an upgrade or as a sell piece.

Alex DeBrincat – (C) Dylan Larkin – Tyler Bertuzzi
Robby Fabbri – J.T. Compher – Lucas Raymond
Joe Veleno - Nate Danielson - Jonatan Berggren

Michael Rasmussen – (A) Andrew Copp – Christain Fischer

* xxxx

(A) Ben Chiarot – Mortiz Seider
Simon Edvinsson – Jeff Petry
Jake Walman – Ollie Maata

* Justin Holl
* Albert Johansson

Alex Lyon
Ville Husso (Possible LTIR imo.)
Need to sign a goalie, a depth forward outside the 3 players previously mentioned above or bring rookies up.

Think most people would like something done on defense but, on paper they have maybe 8 quality players if you count Johansson and count Holl as a fringe NHL'er at the least.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Veleno-Danielson-Berggren is an interesting route and not one I would ever consider. Seems like a terrible situation to drop him into.

It's exciting that we are penciling him into the Wings lineup, though.
That's a line that would get single digit minutes of ice time. Like the OG 3-D line of Devereaux - Datsyuk - Dandenault...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's a small cap hit. This is the time to buy him out. Glad Blake is still an idiot.

Blake is first and foremost an idiot for handing out that contract to begin with. But I would be surprised of any GM would pull the rip cord after one season. I assume he's hoping for some sort of transformation from PLD, as unlikely as it seems.

Reactions: Winger98

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
I think there's no chance Bertuzzi comes back after the multiple difficult contract negotations his camp and Yzerman had.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
The people talking about bringing Bertuzzi back are also forgetting that he's a TERRIBLE defensive player.

He was bad defensively in Detroit. Had a decent year with 30 goals on the first line, but still scored below what a good 1st liner scored.
Had a big offensive playoffs for Boston after we traded him, but he was terrible defensively and cost his team several key goals that series
Tied for the scoring lead in Toronto with Max Domi in the postseason. Was still shit defensively all season long.

Bringing Bertuzzi back is a step backwards. I'd rather just invest big money into a 2RD for 4 or 5 seasons and play mostly kids up front. I don't think it matters nearly as much what Detroit does up front if the defense and goaltending still suck as bad as this year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The people talking about bringing Bertuzzi back are also forgetting that he's a TERRIBLE defensive player.

He was bad defensively in Detroit. Had a decent year with 30 goals on the first line, but still scored below what a good 1st liner scored.
Had a big offensive playoffs for Boston after we traded him, but he was terrible defensively and cost his team several key goals that series
Tied for the scoring lead in Toronto with Max Domi in the postseason. Was still shit defensively all season long.

Bringing Bertuzzi back is a step backwards. I'd rather just invest big money into a 2RD for 4 or 5 seasons and play mostly kids up front. I don't think it matters nearly as much what Detroit does up front if the defense and goaltending still suck as bad as this year.
Yuup. We need a partner for Ed that isn't awful. If only Olli were a righty...

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
From what I heard, this team needs better leadership next season. I think the addition of Kane caused an imbalance in the locker room. Was very interesting to hear about…

Larkin isn’t a rookie anymore, but maybe the addition of another policing veteran figure like Chiarot will help.

I think our younger players ready to take the next step forward will help plug the rest of the holes needed in the line up.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
From what I heard, this team needs better leadership next season. I think the addition of Kane caused an imbalance in the locker room. Was very interesting to hear about…

Larkin isn’t a rookie anymore, but maybe the addition of another policing veteran figure like Chiarot will help.

I think our younger players ready to take the next step forward will help plug the rest of the holes needed in the line up.
Please do tell...

You would think SY is savvy enough to realize by adding certain successful vet/s could disrupt locker room chemistry.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Please do tell...

You would think SY is savvy enough to realize by adding certain successful vet/s could disrupt locker room chemistry.
I won’t say who, but I asked what the biggest issue was this year. How did the team literally collapse during that long losing streak towards the end of the year. The simple and quick answer was poor leadership.

“Leadership was a mess. Total joke. Team was divided and the leadership couldn’t regain control”

Apparently a lot of guys checked out when the issue started to occur.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I won’t say who, but I asked what the biggest issue was this year. How did the team literally collapse during that long losing streak towards the end of the year. The simple and quick answer was poor leadership.

“Leadership was a mess. Total joke. Team was divided and the leadership couldn’t regain control”

That's too bad...This is an issue that could return later in training camp and affect the mood at the start of the season.

Reactions: 13to40

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

I suspected this during that losing streak... something seemed majorly off.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

It's pretty much speculation, but I can see that. The Wings record was worse with Kane in the lineup than without, and that's a fact. Kane never struck me as a leader in Chicago even when he was clearly their best player. That was always Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, guys like Bolland and Byfuglien.

Also guys like Petry, Copp, Sprong, Compher and Fabbri seem like decent guys but none are the type to light a fire under their teammates asses. I think we'll see that more from our prospects like Mazur, Kasper, Edvinsson. And it's part of the reason I want Perron back.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Defaulting to Kane on the PP absolutely killed their vibe. He can make stuff happen but when you go from a unit focused on puck movement with multiple shooting options to a single distributor that makes all the choices.... it was bad.

My tone about Kane changed a lot from the time he joined until the second half of his wings tenure. He absolutely killed the vibe. He was able to do his thing still because he was an elite hockey mind, but the team suffered for it. Don't need him.

Still my favorite American player to have watched do it, but glad i didn't pull the trigger on the 88 Wings jersey.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's pretty much speculation, but I can see that. The Wings record was worse with Kane in the lineup than without, and that's a fact. Kane never struck me as a leader in Chicago even when he was clearly their best player. That was always Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, guys like Bolland and Byfuglien.

Also guys like Petry, Copp, Sprong, Compher and Fabbri seem like decent guys but none are the type to light a fire under their teammates asses. I think we'll see that more from our prospects like Mazur, Kasper, Edvinsson. And it's part of the reason I want Perron back.
Agreed on Perron. Whenever we hear about someone being loud and leading its Perron. He was the last to give up hope last year, saved the season with 3 seconds left (as short lived as it was). I just wish he could reign in the badly timed penalties.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Defaulting to Kane on the PP absolutely killed their vibe. He can make stuff happen but when you go from a unit focused on puck movement with multiple shooting options to a single distributor that makes all the choices.... it was bad.

My tone about Kane changed a lot from the time he joined until the second half of his wings tenure. He absolutely killed the vibe. He was able to do his thing still because he was an elite hockey mind, but the team suffered for it. Don't need him.

Still my favorite American player to have watched do it, but glad i didn't pull the trigger on the 88 Wings jersey.

Patrick Kane 2023-24 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Patrick Kane - Fantasy Hockey Game Logs, Advanced Stats and more - Frozen Tools

Screenshot 2024-05-10 093615.png

There's his splits and deployments. 23-22-5 with Kane in the lineup. 18-10-4 without him.

I'm not blaming him completely for the team coming apart when he joined, but he definitely shares some blame. His first game was December 7, the beginning of the team's losing streak in December. And despite his points, I don't think we can credit much of the team's success to him. And I don't think the team would have been much worse without him.

The more I look into it, the more I believe this team needs to swap some bottom 6 wingers that can win possession, and get a second pair to take heat off Mo and Walman. If they do that they're shaving off GA and keeping the puck a lot longer. 4-5% better possession and this is a 100 point team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm going to go back on something brought up in another thread about the Wings focus on character in the guys they draft. If you have guys who grade out comparably, the guy with the better intangibles is the right choice, imo. Even if you view that guy as slightly less of a ceiling guy. those intangibles are worth a lot.

You get guys who work and grind and put in the time...and are skilled? You start putting together a pretty special team, imo. They become a very difficult group to beat, even if they aren't as purely skilled as the guys lining up across from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad