How do you fix the Wings?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Have zero interest in marner. Would cost us a fortune to land him and hes got one year before free agency

If We happen to get him to sign after paying a ton to land him im not willing to pay 13ish per for another 6 foot winger in the top 6 whose meh in the playoffs

I'm sure yzerman knows what's what behind the scenes. If we can land draisaitl in a year I'd just wait it out

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd love Marner but it would gut our futures and likely a huge piece of our core. Toronto isn't trading us Marner without one of Larkin, Mo or Ray and although Marner is a truly elite player... his track record of withering in the playoffs would make me say thanks but no thanks. Bring back Kane to be our puck magician/softy for free

As you point out, his withering in the playoffs shows the player he truly is.

Everything you need to know about Marner was on full display last night. Yes he had one good goal in the 3rd period but he whined to the refs during play, blew coverage multiple times, was downie soft on the puck time and time again. He's a quitter when things don't go his way.

Come playoff time I'd rather have a guy like Fabbri with his surgically repaired ACLs than Marner.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The problem to me with Marner is the absence of a Toews.. a center on the team who can lead the team and take all pressure off the skilled perimeter star...

Matthews is the #1 problem there(as well as coaching and goaltending)...

Marner may get dealt but 2 things are true...
1. He controls to where
2. It will not gut whichever team lands him

Reactions: SoupNazi

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
As much as I sometimes disagree with Prashanth Iyer, I think he brought up some good points on the recent Winged Wheel Podcast. A huge problem with the team is breakouts. DMen not being able to beat forecheckers with a pass or skating and wingers not being good at receiving those passes and facilitating those breakouts. If we can improve at that then suddenly the puck is out of our zone a lot more, our GA goes down, and our GF stays steady. A full season of Edvinsson and hopefully a healthy Walman should help with that.

Prashanth isn’t a genius for figuring this out now. It’s what 90% of the board was pointing out since last year.

Fabbri is realbad at receiving a pass on the defensive boards and facilitating the breakout to his center.
DeBrincat isn’t much better.
Raymond is getting better but I’m not sure he’s going to be as good a two-way winger as we thought.
Copp can’t find his wingers when assisting defensemen down low.
Sprong and Kane know the defensive zone exists.
Perron is great at facilitating a breakout off the defensive boards but he’s so slow now.
Berggren wanders into the d-zone but puck watches.

That’s more than half our forwards being below average or worse in their own zone.

On defense we have Chiarot and Petry unable to complete a pass.
Maatta who gets beat on the rush allowing for the team to get hemmed in and having to defend a cycle with Ghost on the ice.

Part of that is personnel, part is on coaching. At least 3 of those forwards can and should be upgraded, and 2 of those defensemen need to just go.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There is something going on with Leaves. Is Marner on the move?
Marner being able to call his shot greatly limits things. Otherwise I'd be very interested to see if there could be a 3-team deal with Connor in Winnipeg (strong preference) or Huberdeau in Calgary (much lesser preference).

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Marner being able to call his shot greatly limits things. Otherwise I'd be very interested to see if there could be a 3-team deal with Connor in Winnipeg (strong preference) or Huberdeau in Calgary (much lesser preference).

Toronto f***ed up by not working a Marner for Tkachuk trade 2 seasons ago. I hate all the Tkachuks on the ice, but he's exactly the kind of player that team needs. That forward core in Toronto is so passive. I'm confident that you could take their lunch money and they wouldn't even fight back.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I would like Marner quite a bit. I remember a time when Pavel Datsyuk was almost dealt for Scotty Gomez because Pavel was a playoff dud. Love a team with a Marner-Larkin 1-2 punch up the middle with Danielson and/or Kasper (Might have to deal one of those in a trade) for center depth.

It would certainly be a swing for the fences kind of trade. I think people overvalue his "weakness" in the playoffs and undervalue the fact that he's literally a 100 point player in the regular season.

Toronto loses early in the playoffs because the team is all frou-frou players or complete plugs... and their defense is plugs and/or defensemen who were great a decade ago.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I would like Marner quite a bit. I remember a time when Pavel Datsyuk was almost dealt for Scotty Gomez because Pavel was a playoff dud. Love a team with a Marner-Larkin 1-2 punch up the middle with Danielson and/or Kasper (Might have to deal one of those in a trade) for center depth.

It would certainly be a swing for the fences kind of trade. I think people overvalue his "weakness" in the playoffs and undervalue the fact that he's literally a 100 point player in the regular season.

Toronto loses early in the playoffs because the team is all frou-frou players or complete plugs... and their defense is plugs and/or defensemen who were great a decade ago.
1. Marner isn't a center
2. Marner is in fact not literally a 100 point player in the regular season.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
1. Marner isn't a center
2. Marner is in fact not literally a 100 point player in the regular season.
I'm proven wrong on that first one. I don't know why I had it in my mind he was a C/W.

Second one... sorry for not using the word literally. He hasn't ever hit 100 points. He's gotten 94, 97, and 99, but not actually 100, you're right.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
lets say the Leafs flame out tonight, you have to think big changes are coming, and that big change is likely to be Marner...

-Berggren
-Veleno
-Maatta
-2024 1st round pick for

-Mitch Marner
(leafs retain $3 million)

so we get Marner @ $7.9 for next season, then can extend him

I'm just bored and speculating, and I know we aleady have enough small/skill wingers, and I know Marner isnt a playoff player, but I wonder if Yzerman would at least entertain the idea

***edit: I just scrolled up and see theres already Marner speculation here lol****

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
lets say the Leafs flame out tonight, you have to think big changes are coming, and that big change is likely to be Marner...

-Berggren
-Veleno
-Maatta
-2024 1st round pick for

-Mitch Marner
(leafs retain $3 million)

so we get Marner @ $7.9 for next season, then can extend him

I'm just bored and speculating, and I know we aleady have enough small/skill wingers, and I know Marner isnt a playoff player, but I wonder if Yzerman would at least entertain the idea

***edit: I just scrolled up and see theres already Marner speculation here lol****

If that's the price for Marner you jump all over it regardless of how soft he looks. Toronto has many problems, it's not all on Marner but he is definitely the whipping boy for this post season so far.

I'd imagine the actual asking price for Marner starts with a much better NHL established player or 2 and some higher end prospects.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It’s a bummer the Leafs are in our division. Just like Eichel and Buffalo. It doesn’t kill our chances but we would not get a discount on any fire sale

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Marner won’t wanna leave cause it’s a contract year for him and he gets to play with Matthews and Nylander and PP1 to help boost his stats. Also him and JT have NMC pretty sure so it’ll likely be Nylander who goes when they get smoked by Marchand tonight lol

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Who do you honestly expect to hit a home run with using a 2nd round pick and beyond? Your expectations are astronomically off-base. No wonder your posts are always so miserable and inconsistent.

Last few years you say, yet haven't you been pumping ASP's tires this season? Also doesn't that include Edvinsson and Cossa?

You keep shitting on Danielson but I guarantee you could not give a lick of an assessment of his game. If you're scared or fearful about how he turns out, maybe you should try watching him play. That, or remember what preseason was like with him on the Wings roster.

P.S. he has 67 points in 54 games. Yager has 28 more points in 3 more games, not "almost 40 points". Your reaching is weak.
Yea I'm kind of just responding to the post you responded to, too lazy. But, for everyone bringing up Benson, and Yurov, and anyone else. What moves would you have proposed to bring in help at the center position? We are obviously weak down the middle, case in point our team record with Larkin out, so the team drafted players projected to play the center position. Perhaps some of the prospects end up better offensively, but as far as roster construction goes, seems to like we had to go that direction.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Rumors starting about Stamkos to the Wings, thoughts?

Could Steven Stamkos Sign with the Detroit Red Wings?​

He's proven he can carry a team on his back in the playoffs. He definitely dispels the vacuum we saw when Larkin was out. But, he costs a lot.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

May 11, 2023
I’d love Stammer. I think the year we landed Edvinsson I was in favor of dealing that first for him. Obviously I love edvinsson and would have regretted that… but I really like Stammer

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
The only ufa I want back is Fischer. He plays his fourth line role well.

Sorry but it’s time to move on from
Perron and Kane.

Gost single handedly cost us about 40
Goals this season so bye.

Wish someone would take Fabbri, Holl and Husso of our hands.

I’d package Veleno and Berggren to get a legit top six winger with some
Size and grit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad