How do you fix the Wings?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think Veleno can fill Copp's role and we could use this money elsewhere.
Maybe Berggren +15# for Tij Iginla. Go after Stamkos. Resign Kane. Trade Holl.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'd look for a good 2nd pairing def-d guy to pair with Edvinsson, but outside of that not much. Are prospects over the next couple years move some of the veterans off the roster. Like I'd look to retain say a million on Holl, but likely with 2 years left he would get moved next offseason, If AlJo is ready I look to flip Maata for a pick this offseason. Fabbri I would look to flip for like a 3rd or 4th rounders as well. Copp I would keep for now because he can either take FO's on our 3rd line as Kasper or Danielsson gets worked in their rookie years and then be a vet winger for them.

We are about 3 year's away from having most of our core Stevie draft picks together in the league so it's kinda a wait and see. I wouldn't be against a 2nd pairing level pwf winger, but teams don't get rid of them easy so not holding my breath on that front. Perron will probably be brought back on a cheap one year deal. Ghost I would like to part with but if not too expensive I could see maybe bringing him back for a year if there isn't much on a rhd 2nd pairing ufa signing front. I wouldn't mind flipping Berggen for a pick to resign Kane for 2 year's though. If Kane doesn't resign, I look at a 2-3 deal for Stamkos. And then last note ufa wise I look for a LGD type 4th line center.

Last edited:
Reactions: PelagicJoe

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Sure would be nice if Yzerman stopped playing "some other team's backup goalie roulette".

I'm not going to be real thrilled rolling the dice on Husso/Lyon next season.

I think Lyon will make a solid back up goalie, but they need to dump Husso and bring in someone that's an actual starting netminder.

Just not sure how they make those 2 things happen... Who would take Husso? I also think most of the goalies on the UFA market that are going to have some demand and get paid are having good years because of the teams they're playing on (Talbot, Brossoit, Stolarz, Rittich, etc.) and would crash back to Earth playing behind the Wings defense (I guess unless some significant upgrades are made there).

I'm assuming a trade for Swayman/Ullmark or Markstrom would require assets that Yzerman wouldn't want to part with?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The keys to making the playoffs next year:
1. Bring back Kane, we can't force this to happen but it's undeniable the impact he has. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
2. Edvinsson takes a big chunk of the hard minutes from Seider. (already started at the end of this season)
3. Berggren steps into a top 6 role and is an upgrade over Perron. (fairly confident he can do this)
4. Goaltending.

If those 4 things go right we're comfortably in. If 3 go right I think it's similar to this year where we're on the bubble. 2 or less I'm not very confident Larkin, Raymond, and Seider can carry the team to the playoffs all on their own.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Starting to go through GDT to collect my PKs. Found gold right away:

defense-soup.JPG

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sure would be nice if Yzerman stopped playing "some other team's backup goalie roulette".

I think Lyon will make a solid back up goalie, but they need to dump Husso and bring in someone that's an actual starting netminder.

Just not sure how they make those 2 things happen... Who would take Husso? I also think most of the goalies on the UFA market that are going to have some demand and get paid are having good years because of the teams they're playing on (Talbot, Brossoit, Stolarz, Rittich, etc.) and would crash back to Earth playing behind the Wings defense (I guess unless some significant upgrades are made there).

I'm assuming a trade for Swayman/Ullmark or Markstrom would require assets that Yzerman wouldn't want to part with?

UFA goalies
- Matt Murray
- Ilya Samsonov
- Chris Driedger
- Kaapo Kähkönen
- Pavel Francouz (retired)
- Kevin Lankinen
- Eric Comrie
- Casey DeSmith
- Alex Nedeljkovic
- James Reimer
- Antti Raanta (will retire)
- Pheonix Copley
- Anthony Stolarz
- Scott Wedgewood
- Cam Talbot
- David Rittich
- Martin Jones

All are kind of 1-year lottery tickets, if you want to hire one.

Last edited:
Reactions: flychairman

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond, a 4th overall pick (and a good one at that), is just now reaching his potential and establishing himself. If you think the lack of 2nd round and later Yzerman picks on the current roster is a reflection of poor drafting, then I would suggest you have unrealistic expectations of the speed at which 2nd round and later picks become NHL regulars. The reality is, they usually don't establish themselves in the NHL at all, let alone within a few years of being drafted.
Of played games, the Top32 from 2019 draft is:
- 19/32 1st round picks (59.4%)
- 13/186 of 2nd-7th round picks (6.9%)

Of played games, the Top32 from 2020 draft is:
- 24/32 1st round picks (75.0%)
- 8/186 of 2nd-7th round picks (4.3%)

It's really tough to judge 2nd-7th round picks from the Yzerman-era yet. You mostly can do it only from Holland era with Wright.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The real problem the Wings are facing is that Dylan Larkin doesn't fit the team's timeline. He doesn't fit the rebuild, which still has a couple of years to go before it's completely online.

Spicy, I know. I don't like it either. But I think that's the truth. That's why you see all this talk about trading picks, trading prospects, etc.. It's not because the rebuild has taken too long, or anything like that, it's that speeding things up is the only way the current roster decisions can even make sense. It's the only way keeping Larkin can make sense. He's 27, and the rebuild is just starting to take root. Several key pieces haven't even made the NHL. Larkin going to be past his prime by the time that prospect group is ready to compete in earnest.

The question becomes, do you trade picks and prospects away to match Larkin's timeframe, or do you trade away Larkin? Obviously the latter is going to be the most popular option, but I'm not so sure it's clearly the best option.

Thing is though, even good young teams need good vets in the lineup. If we get going to being a good team, Larkin will be a great vet part of our team, and honestly great if he is no longer the best on the team, as that means we are better now. My only worry with Larkin is if we ever get to the playoffs, will he physically be able to hold up as he gets hurt every single year to the point of either missing time, or playing worse because he is playing hurt.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think Veleno can fill Copp's role and we could use this money elsewhere.
Maybe Berggren +15# for Tij Iginla. Go after Stamkos. Resign Kane. Trade Holl.

Judging by Veleno's plus minus being much worse than those around him with similar usage or role and play in general, I don't think he did anything this year to suggest he can handle top tier PK role while still chipping in 40 pts. I thought he was going to take a step forward this season, and he had a great start through the first 15 games or so, but then he was basically just a warm body the rest of the way. Copp is over-paid, but still provided much more than Veleno and I am not even a fan of Copp and actually like Veleno.

Berggren at best would improve our spot by 1. Lower tier prospect at this point as far as other teams are concerned, otherwise Yzerman would have already traded him when there were rumours of him getting traded.

Maybe Husso is LTIR material for next season. He got hurt immediately after missing 2 months in his recent GR cond. stint.

UFA goalies
- Matt Murray
- Ilya Samsonov
- Chris Driedger
- Kaapo Kähkönen
- Pavel Francouz
- Kevin Lankinen
- Eric Comrie
- Casey DeSmith
- Alex Nedeljkovic
- James Reimer
- Pheonix Copley
- Anthony Stolarz
- Scott Wedgewood
- Cam Talbot
- David Rittich
- Martin Jones

Francouz just retired last week.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1713960985797.png

- Sign UFA Stamkos for 7.5M
- extend UFA Fischer for same salary 1.125M
- extend RFA Berggren for 1.4M
- extend RFA Veleno for 1.4M
- extend UFA Kane for 800k base + 5M for performance bonuses (for playing 10 games)
- extend UFA Perron for 800k base + 2M for performance bonuses (for playing 10 games)
- waive Holl (to make 1.125M room), can be called back on injury cases for D.

We would be nicely under the cap, and no cap worries for the season after. Not even if we extend Kane and Perron again. There is so much of cap space, and cheap youth entering in at same time.

Think we should start doing this every year. Pushing against the cap and pushing artificially over, by stealing extra from next season cap, with those 1-year 35+ contracts. And use LTIR also, if possible.

Maximize the cap overload, to become best valued team. Like Vegas is currently. Stronger than any other team.

It's time to build a winner. Not accept mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: PelagicJoe

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
View attachment 858766

- Sign UFA Stamkos for 7.5M
- extend UFA Fischer for same salary 1.125M
- extend RFA Berggren for 1.4M
- extend RFA Veleno for 1.4M
- extend UFA Kane for 800k base + 5M for performance bonuses (for playing 10 games)
- extend UFA Perron for 800k base + 2M for performance bonuses (for playing 10 games)
- waive Holl (to make 1.125M room), can be called back on injury cases for D.

We would be nicely under the cap, and no cap worries for the season after. Not even if we extend Kane and Perron again. There is so much of cap space, and cheap youth entering in at same time.

Think we should start doing this every year. Pushing against the cap and pushing artificially over, by stealing extra from next season cap, with those 1-year 35+ contracts. And use LTIR also, if possible.

Maximize the cap overload, to become best valued team. Like Vegas is currently. Stronger than any other team.

It's time to build a winner. Not accept mediocrity.
They can give Kane 800k and put 5M in bonuses not counting against the cap?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
How much do yall figure Samson Reinhart is gonna cost in FA? Scores goals in the dirty areas, could really use more of that.
Man, idk I think it starts out 8x8 but I believe his camp will want somewhere between 8.5-10 million with term.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
UFA goalies
- Matt Murray
- Ilya Samsonov
- Chris Driedger
- Kaapo Kähkönen
- Pavel Francouz (retired)
- Kevin Lankinen
- Eric Comrie
- Casey DeSmith
- Alex Nedeljkovic
- James Reimer
- Pheonix Copley
- Anthony Stolarz
- Scott Wedgewood
- Cam Talbot
- David Rittich
- Martin Jones

giphy.gif

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah there's really nobody who's a significant upgrade over Husso. If we upgrade it's going to have to be a trade, which requires other teams to want to trade their starters. I could see the argument for signing one of these guys as insurance like we did with having both Reimer and Lyon this year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The real problem the Wings are facing is that Dylan Larkin doesn't fit the team's timeline. He doesn't fit the rebuild, which still has a couple of years to go before it's completely online.

Spicy, I know. I don't like it either. But I think that's the truth. That's why you see all this talk about trading picks, trading prospects, etc.. It's not because the rebuild has taken too long, or anything like that, it's that speeding things up is the only way the current roster decisions can even make sense. It's the only way keeping Larkin can make sense. He's 27, and the rebuild is just starting to take root. Several key pieces haven't even made the NHL. Larkin going to be past his prime by the time that prospect group is ready to compete in earnest.

The question becomes, do you trade picks and prospects away to match Larkin's timeframe, or do you trade away Larkin? Obviously the latter is going to be the most popular option, but I'm not so sure it's clearly the best option.
How about neither . I see Larkin as a bridge between Datsyuk and Zetterberg era to the new era of Seider and Raymond. By the time team compete for the cup Larkin probably not our best player anymore, but he is a leader of this team and Captain.
The way Yzerman runs this franchise I believe Larkin will have his opportunity to win the cup

Yeah there's really nobody who's a significant upgrade over Husso. If we upgrade it's going to have to be a trade, which requires other teams to want to trade their starters. I could see the argument for signing one of these guys as insurance like we did with having both Reimer and Lyon this year.
Just not overpay

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Husso will be back with Lyon as his backup

Reactions: lilidk

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yzerman needs to find another impact forward. I'm not sure who that will be but I don't see any internal options. Hopefully Kaner comes back.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Petry , Seider, Edvinsson, AJo, Walman, Chiarot, Maatta doesn't sound good to me . If Yzerman decides to bring top 4 defansman to this team , someone have to go. Probably Maatta, could be for 5th rounder and rotate Petry and Ajo

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Husso will be back with Lyon as his backup
I'll take, "Reasons Not to Watch" for $200, Alex.

Now is it possible that Husso has a better year? Yes. But I've seen nothing from either him or Lyon to suggest they can hold up as a quality starter for a full year. It borderline dooms the season before it even starts.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad