Speculation: How do you feel about the Wild's future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I would fall into the cautiously optimistic category as well.

Or prospects are intriguing. We've got some guys who I really to can develop into solid NHLers. Ek, Tuch, and Kunin I think were all solid 1st rounders. Kaprizov continues to excite me really hoping he can be a steal for us.

Crossing my fingers that one of those guys talks some big strides and develops into the impact player we badly need.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
i-have-no-feelings-or-emotions-just-sarcasm-runnin

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I agree with picking Tuch over those guys was dumb. That's what happens when you draft size over skill.

Why don't you think Eriksson Ek projects as a Kopitar/Toews/Koivu caliber guy?

What excatly do you think Kunin limitations are?

For one thing, those three guys are elite players. Kopitar had 61 points in his rookie season. JEE doesn't look like he'll have the same kind of natural strength. A lesser version of those guys could still be an excellent NHL player, and he's in their mold - it's just unrealistic to think he can be that good.

There's lots to like with Kunin too, but compared to his cohort I don't see an elite player. There's a player like Matthews we can just put aside, but I don't think he's quite in the same class physically as Tkachuk, and I don't think he has the skills of a Colin White or Jack Roslovic, nor is he as defensively savvy as say Christian Fischer. What the Wild got with him was a pretty safe pick, just not a guy who is going to be a top center in the NHL but maybe more of a Tyler Bozak.

And it's good to get into the cap numbers I think. Think Nino is worth a bit north of 5 personally, and I'd like to see him locked up soon. In pointing out some of the potential issues, it's not to say the team is doomed. It's a contender now, and should be largely the same team next season - that's definitely a good thing.

Could Fletch get some great value by trading Scandella or Spurgeon or Reilly - even Pominville? He sure could. I just wish there weren't so many gaps in the system where a guy like Laurent Dauphin, Anthony Mantha or Nic Petan could be.

Also I mentioned the goalies were doing well this season - another positive.

On the other hand, the prospect D which once looked like a strength is not doing so well. Maybe they sign Soucy (some long-term upside) but probably not De Jong or Sjalin. Labbé wasn't great last season and is injured. Gelinas and Gudbranson most likely won't be qualified, leaving guys with pretty much zero offense like Seeler and Warner (and possibly Boka) as the next wave. Bouramman they signed to a hasty contract and he has really struggled this season. Maybe they can find a gem in free agency as they did with Folin/Spurgeon but for all the talk of the pipeline it's running a bit dry (might as well mention Chizen and Sadek are there too, but not overly impressive).

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
For one thing, those three guys are elite players. Kopitar had 61 points in his rookie season. JEE doesn't look like he'll have the same kind of natural strength. A lesser version of those guys could still be an excellent NHL player, and he's in their mold - it's just unrealistic to think he can be that good.

There's lots to like with Kunin too, but compared to his cohort I don't see an elite player. There's a player like Matthews we can just put aside, but I don't think he's quite in the same class physically as Tkachuk, and I don't think he has the skills of a Colin White or Jack Roslovic, nor is he as defensively savvy as say Christian Fischer. What the Wild got with him was a pretty safe pick, just not a guy who is going to be a top center in the NHL but maybe more of a Tyler Bozak.

And it's good to get into the cap numbers I think. Think Nino is worth a bit north of 5 personally, and I'd like to see him locked up soon. In pointing out some of the potential issues, it's not to say the team is doomed. It's a contender now, and should be largely the same team next season - that's definitely a good thing.

Could Fletch get some great value by trading Scandella or Spurgeon or Reilly - even Pominville? He sure could. I just wish there weren't so many gaps in the system where a guy like Laurent Dauphin, Anthony Mantha or Nic Petan could be.

On the other hand, the prospect D which once looked like a strength is not doing so well. Maybe they sign Soucy (some long-term upside) but probably not De Jong or Sjalin. Labbé wasn't great last season and is injured. Gelinas and Gudbranson most likely won't be qualified, leaving guys with pretty much zero offense like Seeler and Warner (and possibly Boka) as the next wave. Bouramman they signed to a hasty contract and he has really struggled this season. Maybe they can find a gem in free agency as they did with Folin/Spurgeon but for all the talk of the pipeline it's running a bit dry (might as well mention Chizen and Sadek are there too, but not overly impressive).

Eriksson Ek produced pretty well when he was here. He probably could have been better if we wasn't playing with Chris Stewart.

White and Kunin scored the Same amount of goals last year. I'm pretty sure White had more support than Kunin did also.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Re: Nino, I'd go 6 years at $5M right now.

Re: defense, we're at a position where we can take defensemen with high picks again. I think only Olofsson is a top 2 round defenseman taken in the last 4 drafts. Some of that is traded 1st and 2nd picks, but even with the ones we've had, it's been very forward-heavy. That should even out going forward and help that issue a bit.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Re: Nino, I'd go 6 years at $5M right now.

Re: defense, we're at a position where we can take defensemen with high picks again. I think only Olofsson is a top 2 round defenseman taken in the last 4 drafts. Some of that is traded 1st and 2nd picks, but even with the ones we've had, it's been very forward-heavy. That should even out going forward and help that issue a bit.

He makes every line he is on better - agree.

Guys like Kunin, Ek, Tuch, and Kaprizov make me more optimistic. These guys can help weather the cap hell the Wild may find themselves in.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
safe to draft BPA this year? though I'm leaning towards another top end forward.

I think safe in general to go BPA regardless. However, seems like most opinions are that depth is an organization strength and I agree. Well the next year is really going to test that theory and it will be unlikely they have a much depth in a year as they do now. And that's without any significant injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad