How Do You Expect To Feel About The Avs Deadline?

How Do You Expect To Feel About The Avs Deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I start off with the base expectation that the deadline will make the team worse (2021), give up valuable assets for nothing (2023), or both, and that everyone good will get hurt long term or abscond with prostitutes before or during the playoffs.

That way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think back to 2022 trade deadline, which was absolutely pivotal for the Avs cup run. I think last season mgmt was of the mind that it just wasn't the year to go all in (although why even bother with the Eller trade if that was the case).

I think the Avs will make a genuine and concerted effort to do what they can to improve the team. My concern though is that other teams have more assets and what not to get the few useful available players in this trade market. Who is out there to get?

We have a late 1st, our last years' 1st rounders and one of Byram or Sammy G to dangle. It's not nothing, but can we get a bona fide 2C, and a 1A goalie? Are guys like Adam Henrique or Alex Wennberg worth paying that kind of coin for? I know I haven't put nearly as much thought into this as I'm sure some of you have, but I struggle to see clear trade partners that could move really move the needle. And that's why I expect to be disappointed.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
The problem is that there are very few teams right now that are completely out of the SCP run - there is still delusion in places like LA, St.Louis, Minneapolis and Seattle that they can make it to the playoffs . . . and make noise. Which means the "pool" of assets from which Mac/Sakic can make a deal is very shallow. At least for now. In another 2 weeks it could look different. But they're gonna have to massively overpay for what they get. I know for a fact that they were in on Lindholm. But the price tag was exorbitant for a guy who would wear the sweater for 4 months..

For me, Job 1 is a back-up goalie. Period. If Georgiev is running on fumes in April, it won't matter who's at 2C.

Mac/Sakic went "all in" in 2021-22, gave a away a slew of picks and assets and it worked. But you can't do it every year. Last year was the wrong year.

This year is better. But it's easy to say "go all in!" - how many GMs are out there willing to help the Avs (who are already viewed as swimming in talent) without asking for Ft. Knox in return? We'll see.

Just an opinion.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Last year was the wrong year.
In hindsight maybe, but MacK and Rants were having career years and they won the division - while also trying to repeat. You could tell it was a let down that CMac sat on his hands - well even worse he threw away assets for freaking Lars

Reactions: Alienblood

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
In hindsight maybe, but MacK and Rants were having career years and they won the division - while also trying to repeat. You could tell it was a let down that CMac sat on his hands - well even worse he threw away assets for freaking Lars

No, in real time it was wrong time to do it. That team was beat to all hell, Mac/Sakic knew it and TDL pick ups weren't going solve their problem - health. Lars Eller was fine - they gave up too much, but that was the going rate. But the Avs were so beat up, he was playing way out of position and never had a chance to play the actual position he was signed for.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
That is just it...maybe they had a lot more hindsight on the situation than people here had. They obviously knew a lot more than us about the health of guys like Nuke, Makar and if Landy had a chance to come back. I very much doubt CMac made that decision alone.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think they are in too desperate a situation. Other teams know it and are likely gouging them wrt to trade offers. I don’t like how conservative CMac is but if he’s holding off because of prices or lack of quality choices then I’m all for it. Nothing will close a window faster than a bad trade or two made out of desperation.
I selected "Very Satisfied" because I still refuse to believe that the Avs won't correctly address the glaring holes in the lineup. I think they know prices are going to be high but are going to have to be ready to 'flip the bill' for the right fit. (I know, I said the same thing last year lol)

Right now, I think that Avs management are in a holding pattern because some teams aren't quite out of it yet. So let's say their list is the same as my list and Brock Nelson is the #1 guy on that list. Well the Islanders aren't probably ready to ship him out just yet since they just made a coaching change that hasn't really panned out as of yet. (3 wins, 3 losses and 2 OTLs)

Over the next week or so, the Islanders have games against NYR, PIT, STL, TB and DAL. They'll probably need to win 4 of 5 for them to have a realistic chance to squeak into the playoffs and even then, a lot is going to have to go right for them to do so. At that point, after the DAL game we're about 2 weeks away from the TDL and hopefully the Isles would be open to that kind of trade.

I mean, why trade for Jenner or Wennberg when you can really have a real #2C like Nelson come in and solidify your forward group ?? Then you have a couple of weeks to try and get a decent depth D-Man, a #4C and maybe a backup goalie.

In 2022, the Avs needed to make 4 moves prior to the deadline ->

(1) Manson for Helleson+2nd [1 week before TDL]
(2) Jost for Sturm [1 week before TDL]
(3) Lehkonen for Barron+2nd [TDL day]
(4) Cogliano for 5th [TDL day]

Let's GOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
No, in real time it was wrong time to do it. That team was beat to all hell, Mac/Sakic knew it and TDL pick ups weren't going solve their problem - health. Lars Eller was fine - they gave up too much, but that was the going rate. But the Avs were so beat up, he was playing way out of position and never had a chance to play the actual position he was signed for.

That is just it...maybe they had a lot more hindsight on the situation than people here had. They obviously knew a lot more than us about the health of guys like Nuke, Makar and if Landy had a chance to come back. I very much doubt CMac made that decision alone.
If it's a throwaway year then why the hell are they paying a 2nd for a retained Eller?

If they believed it was a waste to go for it and throw away MacK's 100 point and Rants 50 goal seasons (plus the division title), then spending draft capital for Eller is a stupid move

If they believed that Eller was the one to push them over the top or to sustain them until the injured players could recover, then they are both f***ing idiots

Either way it was a braindead move that makes zero sense. No justification for it either way is what I'm saying

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
If it's a throwaway year then why the hell are they paying a 2nd for a retained Eller?

If they believed it was a waste to go for it and throw away MacK's 100 point and Rants 50 goal seasons (plus the division title), then spending draft capital for Eller is a stupid move

If they believed that Eller was the one to push them over the top or to sustain them until the injured players could recover, then they are both f***ing idiots

Either way it was a braindead move that makes zero sense. No justification for it either way is what I'm saying
Because fans were demanding that Mac/Sakic "do something". So they did - under the assumption that Landy was gonna play and that Nuke was gonna be around. They felt like they had a punchers chance in the playoffs if things fell right and nobody else went down - even with Makar and Manson hobbled. But it was never going to be enough once Nuke decided to party in Seattle. Joe Sakic and CM are not stupid or brain dead. Their work in 2021-22 was the envy of the league. Ask other GMs (I have).

Did they pay too much for Eller? Yup. Obviously. The only way they could have made it worse was by doing more.

Not looking for a fight or a pissy debate. Just an opinion. Repeating a Stanley Cup is the toughest task in sports. Even the '96 loaded - loaded - Avs couldn't pull it off with Jedi Master Pierre Lacroix working the phones..

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because fans were demanding that Mac/Sakic "do something". So they did - under the assumption that Landy was gonna play and that Nuke was gonna be around. They felt like they had a punchers chance in the playoffs if things fell right and nobody else went down - even with Makar and Manson hobbled. But it was never going to be enough once Nuke decided to party in Seattle. Joe Sakic and CM are not stupid or brain dead. Their work in 2021-22 was the envy of the league. Ask other GMs (I have).

Did they pay too much for Eller? Yup. Obviously. The only way they could have made it worse was by doing more.

Not looking for a fight or a pissy debate. Just an opinion. Repeating a Stanley Cup is the toughest task in sports. Even the '96 loaded - loaded - Avs couldn't pull it off with Jedi Master Pierre Lacroix working the phones..
If the Avs traded a 2nd for Eller to appease outside noise from fans… that’s bad.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I don't know what would be worse, that they traded a 2nd for Eller to appease fans, or that they thought trading a 2nd for Eller would appease fans.

Not saying those guys do stuff just because the fans demand it. But they don't live or work in a bubble either. They feel pressure too. They knew that they had to do something . . . but whatever they did was not gonna make a difference. Had they known Nuke was gonna go AWOL and that Landeskog was definitely out out at the TDL . . . I think they they would have shut it down. And yes, I'm sure they wish they had that 2nd round pick at the moment.

They're not perfect. But going "all in, every year" is not smart. Or possible. Ask the Rangers and Bruins.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I never said they thought it was a throw away season. In fact I talked about this a few times already in the past. IMO they believed with everything that was going on health-wise it was too risky to waste strong assets. They still didn't know if Landy was coming back as he was still trying to way past the TDL. Nuke, Makar and Manson were also dealing with injuries all year. IMO they acquire Eller IN CASE everything went right with all those players. So get somebody to help the team but don't spend too much because it doesn't look good overall. Did they overpay for Eller? Yes they did...but you know how it goes regarding Avs and 2nd round picks.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Not looking for a fight or a pissy debate. Just an opinion.
I appreciate that, and I have enjoyed your perspective (especially the discussions around Nuke over the summer). My honest opinion is that CMac had something bigger in the wings that fell through or something and already had Eller lined up and decided to pull the trigger because he didn't want to "do nothing"

But for me that explains why he got retention on Eller, but either way it's a failure on his part to not secure the other trade or to think Eller was the piece. I'm hoping he will prove me wrong this year.

Doing nothing last year would have been less frustrating than what he did do IMO

I never said they thought it was a throw away season. In fact I talked about this a few times already in the past
Sorry, I wasn't pointing the figure at you for that, just bringing it up again from the discussions over the summer from other posters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I appreciate that, and I have enjoyed your perspective (especially the discussions around Nuke over the summer). My honest opinion is that CMac had something bigger in the wings that fell through or something and already had Eller lined up and decided to pull the trigger because he didn't want to "do nothing"

But for me that explains why he got retention on Eller, but either way it's a failure on his part to not secure the other trade or to think Eller was the piece. I'm hoping he will prove me wrong this year.

Doing nothing last year would have been less frustrating than what he did do IMO

Sorry, I wasn't pointing the figure at you for that, just bringing it up again from the discussions over the summer from other posters
In hindsight you are probably right about the bolded.

And you might have a point about another trade in the works because of the retention on Eller.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019

Fair enough. But the price tags on some of these people are mind blowing. A 1st for Sean Monahan? That guy plays no defense and make RyJo look downright fleet .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I always assumed that Eller wasn't the only move planned. There was no reason to pay for retention otherwise. If they could've done a 3rd without retention they would've unless they needed that retention. I just got the feeling that whatever that other thing was fell apart in the last stages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad