Leafs
Red Wings
Habs

Canes
Devils
Predators
Panthers
Coyotes

Very very VERY quick list of offensive core rankings (the only important part was "which team's offensive core would I rather have going into next season over ours?"). Not sure about the Leafs/Red Wings but in my eyes, we are in the bottom 10. We might be getting Frolik this off-season but is there any hope for Bergevin to change things up a bit in our team? Our only hope is banking on breakout seasons from Galchenyuk/other young guys if we don't do anything in my opinion.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Two things:

One is improve the top six. Our wings need help sure.

Second is to get more out of what we have. Until we change the way we play or fire the coach, this is not going to change. No way we should be a dump and chase team with the blueline we have. You can argue on the roster all you wish but there's no way we can't get more out of what we have.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
One thing that should be looked at is our coaching staff. I'm still hoping Dan Lacroix gets canned. I can't believe we're going to keep this guy around after his nightmare of a PP.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One thing that should be looked at is our coaching staff. I'm still hoping Dan Lacroix gets canned. I can't believe we're going to keep this guy around after his nightmare of a PP.
Coaching is the single biggest problem this team has.

It's also the easiest problem to solve. ;)

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'm not a fan of Therrien but I think that with enough offensive weapons, he can lead the team to the promise land. If we can add an upgrade at center, move Galchenyuk to center and add another top 6 player, I think Therrien can make it work. (all easier said then done though :laugh:)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Top-6 winger.

Let Subban be Subban. Imagine Subban was given as much rope as Karlsson in Ottawa or Hedman in Tampa?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
IN: 1 or 2 of Frolik, Beleskey, MSL, Stafford, AK46;
2 or 1 of Andrighetto, Hudon, Thomas

OUT: DSP, DLR (to improve in Hamilton), Prust, and Emelin/Gilbert (to make Salary cap room)

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher

Hudon/Ghetto Plekanec Frolik/Beleskey/MSL/Stafford

Desharnais Eller Frolik/Beleskey/MSL/Stafford/AK46/Thomas

Bournival Mitchell Weise

Flynn

Markov Subban
Beaulieu Petry
Emelin/Gilbert Pateryn
Tinordi

In other words: take salary out of our bottom six and bottom pairing dmen and put it into our top six. And, make our bottom six and bottom d pairing young, fast and cheap, although smaller, instead of expensive and slow, although bigger.

Last edited:

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Replace DD and send him off somewhere else. Patches needs a competent center.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thomas is not an NHL player imo

I think you're in the large majority on that one. I still think you--and the many who are obsessed with size even though the game has changed-- are wrong. He was very effective in our bottom six. I don't think he'll ever be a top six forward though.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I think you're in the large majority on that one. I still think you--and the many who are obsessed with size even though the game has changed-- are wrong. He was very effective in our bottom six. I don't think he'll ever be a top six forward though.

I'm not obsessed with size at all. I just don't see NHL potential in him.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
michel-therrien-pas-dents-copy.jpg

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

He had 1 goal and 1 point in 18 games. I know offense isn't everything on the bottom 6 but he needs to do better than that if he wants to be an NHLer.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
In addition to Galchenyuk needing to establish himself as a first line offensive threat capable of 60-70 points per year, our top youngsters developing into impact players, and MT needing to **** right off, we will need help from outside.

MB needs to move futures for present. IMO the following assets are more or less expendable in the quest for another 30 goal scorer:

2016 1st
2016 2nds
Anyone not named Scherbak or McCarron from our prospect pool, this includes Juulsen
JDLR

If we could get a JVR or comparable for some, or even most of these assets, then I would say do it, sooner rather than later.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Why are the Red Wings so low? Zetterberg, Datysuk, Tatar, Nyqvist, Franzen (if he plays). Even Sheahan and Abdelkader are likely to be around 40 points.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Hey, here's a thought.

A dedicated power play line instead of just rolling the regular line one or two.

I got this great idea from every other coach that ever played the game.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I think we basically have the team to succeed now. I agree with MB about not changing our current team for the most part. Adding a guy like Frolik and allowing our youth to come up and play full time would be the only player movement we need this off season. Our biggest issue is our use of the players we currently have. I think our coaching staff needs to be replaced if we are to fully utilize the assets we have. I honestly think I guy like Hudon, Andrighetto or Carr could come up and make a big impact if we actually give them a chance to play. A guy like Frolik could solidify our top 6 (essentially fill the role that PAP was supposed to fill last year) while our youth is promoted to the big club full time. Do it MB!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Let's do both. I posted all the numbers elsewhere, but if you compare 2012-13 where we played more aggressively to this past season , we had about 160 more shots over 82 games and with a 9 % shooting % that would result in about 14-15 more goals. Get the PP to average and that will add another 7 or 8 goals.

Also noteworthy is that over 82 games we would give up about 240 less shots as SA was about 3 more a game this past season than in 2012-13. At a 90% save percentage that is 24 less goals against, would give Price some leeway not to be perfect.

Also a huge difference in the zone starts, many more in the D zone and N zone this past season.

The system MT uses is not a good defensive system , it is garbage, only a ridiculous save % by Price allows it to masquerade as a system.

So, play an aggressive game. That would make the biggest difference.

Give Eller a skilled winger, even a rookie, and I bet he hits 20 goals and with Weise on LW I think the line could chip in 40-50 goals.

Play a rookie in PAP's spot and he beats PAPs 9-10 goals over 82 games is my guess. Add a veteran scorer and it's more.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Top-6 winger.

Let Subban be Subban. Imagine Subban was given as much rope as Karlsson in Ottawa or Hedman in Tampa?

Better yet, allow creativity to flourish. Say we acquire Sharp, for arguments sake.

Gallagher
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Sharp
Subban

That is our powerplay deployment. Gallagher is the net front presence while the remaining forward each create a scoring line, with Sharp being the failsafe "defenseman" whenever the need arises. Subban dictates the flow instead of being just a predictable slap shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad