How Do the Sabres Have 3 Wins?

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Literally, I'm asking how? What kind of team do the Sabres match up well against? Is there some correlation between the Sharks and Red Wings? I know they were both day games? Can day games play a factor? Was there something different the Sabres themselves were doing during their inexplicable 3 wins? Because 3 wins is actually really good for how historically statistically bad this team is. Can I get a critical analysis? Thanks.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You don't need a critical analysis. Two of the 3 wins are shootout wins. Only 1 win in regulation. In that regulation win, BUF only gave up 15 shots (due more to the Sharks ineptitude than incredible play by Buffalo). Those 15 shots BUF allowed were ~25 less than the Sabres usually give up. They also have an overtime loss against a depleted Bruins squad.

If games still ended in ties, the Sabres record would be 1-11-3=5pts, instead of 3-9-1=7pts.

They've gotten good goaltending from both their goaltenders, Neuvirth and Enroth, who have kept them in closer games (read: Sabres got lucky their opponent had an off night). Most of Buffalo's opponents play their backup goalie, and still beat BUF without much trouble.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Everything Griffin already said, plus:

Anything can happen any night.

A lot of teams are probably heading into games against us with a more relaxed attitude.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Literally, I'm asking how? What kind of team do the Sabres match up well against? Is there some correlation between the Sharks and Red Wings? I know they were both day games? Can day games play a factor? Was there something different the Sabres themselves were doing during their inexplicable 3 wins? Because 3 wins is actually really good for how historically statistically bad this team is. Can I get a critical analysis? Thanks.

7 pts in 13 games is 44 pts over an 82 game season. Its actually worse than our total last year.

We're going to win a few games here and there. We're going to get teams on the end of back to backs, we're going to play well from time to time. Believe or not, the team is actually underachieving so far. I don't believe we are as bad as we have been, and I actually think the team will get in the 60-65 point range before its all said and done.

Right now, its a matter of motivating a team that knows its going to be bad and has nothing to play for 13 games into a season.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The same reason why in baseball, even the worst team in the league can manage to win about 1/3 of their games.

Some nights, they're going to play not bad. Some nights, they're going to catch a team flat footed. Some nights, they're going to get flat out lucky.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
The same reason why in baseball, even the worst team in the league can manage to win about 1/3 of their games.

Some nights, they're going to play not bad. Some nights, they're going to catch a team flat footed. Some nights, they're going to get flat out lucky.

Some nights, I call it a draw...

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
7 pts in 13 games is 44 pts over an 82 game season. Its actually worse than our total last year.

We're going to win a few games here and there. We're going to get teams on the end of back to backs, we're going to play well from time to time. Believe or not, the team is actually underachieving so far. I don't believe we are as bad as we have been, and I actually think the team will get in the 60-65 point range before its all said and done.

Right now, its a matter of motivating a team that knows its going to be bad and has nothing to play for 13 games into a season.

Disagree about the 60 points but I get what you're saying. But actually 2 of the wins so far have come with us being on the back end of back-to-backs (and the other team being the rested one). What's up with that?

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014

I understand your premise. But I feel like hockey's a step down from baseball in terms of parody. Because the worse teams win 1/3 in baseball and hockey's worse team last year (i.e. us) (i.e. Sabres) won 1/4. And this year I think it could be worse. Thoughts?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I understand your premise. But I feel like hockey's a step down from baseball in terms of parody. Because the worse teams win 1/3 in baseball and hockey's worse team last year (i.e. us) (i.e. Sabres) won 1/4. And this year I think it could be worse. Thoughts?

:laugh: nice

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
You don't need a critical analysis. Two of the 3 wins are shootout wins. Only 1 win in regulation. In that regulation win, BUF only gave up 15 shots (due more to the Sharks ineptitude than incredible play by Buffalo). Those 15 shots BUF allowed were ~25 less than the Sabres usually give up. They also have an overtime loss against a depleted Bruins squad.

If games still ended in ties, the Sabres record would be 1-11-3=5pts, instead of 3-9-1=7pts.

They've gotten good goaltending from both their goaltenders, Neuvirth and Enroth, who have kept them in closer games (read: Sabres got lucky their opponent had an off night). Most of Buffalo's opponents play their backup goalie, and still beat BUF without much trouble.

I'm pretty sure we were the team with 15 shots on net, not the Sharks.

As for the OP, Sj and Detroit probably took us lightly, it's as simple as that.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
It's all about our compete level. We have to will ourselves to win and then hope for a couple lucky bounces and the other team doesn't show up for most of the game.

Here's the possible scenarios:

Both teams show up: we have a 20% chance of winning. West coast trip, Columbus
and first Boston game

Other team shows up, we don't: 0% Toronto, Florida, Anaheim, Columbus and Pittsburgh

We show up and they don't: 50%: Detroit and Chicago

We play Carolina: 50%: Carolina

Bps21*

It is 100% because shoot outs aren't indicative of who played better.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Well I wasn't trying to make the point that the Sabres are going to automatically win 30%. They're going to win less, sure, but the overarching comment here is that even terrible teams will win some games for a lot of reasons, especially when considering an 82 game schedule. Even in the NFL, where there have been some EXTREMELY bad teams, only 3 teams have ever went 0-for in a single season, much easier to do with shorter schedules.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To quote Bull Durham, it's a miracle.

Skip: What's our record, Larry?
Larry: Eight and sixteen.
Skip: Eight... and sixteen. How'd we ever win eight?
Larry: It's a miracle.
Skip: It's a miracle. This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad