How do the DRW fit with Button's Model

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is a video I came across that I thought was interesting:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/button-s-formula-for-success-1.212300

Button suggests his basics for a building of a solid NHL team (similar to Pierre McGuire's system) (Another fun exercise)

His system

3 Defencemen (top 3)
2 Centers (1,2 or 2,2 or 1,3 type) (1=star, 2= 2nd liner; 3=3rd liner)
1 Goalie (Decent starter at least)
2 Forwards (impactful) (Can also be centers)
1 Defencemen (4 or 5th guy)

How would Detroit fit into this system. I wont suggest my model until I hear some responses :)

McGuire had a 7 player system:

Pierre Mcguire has something he calls the 7-player profile, and every cup champ in the last 18 years has had at least 5 or 6 of the components. With most contenders having those elements during their window.

2 legitimate top 6 centers preferably not undersized.
1 offensive defenseman
1 shutdown defenseman
1 shut down forward
1 power forward
1 legitimate no 1 goalie

Last edited:

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Can't view the video in my region. The Red Wings have something like two 1Cs (Datsyuk/Zetterberg), two very good 3Cs (Sheahan/Helm), two impact wingers (Tatar/Nyquist), one 1D/2D (Kronwall), one 2D/3D (DeKeyser), a bunch of 4-6Ds, and two solid starter goalies (Howard/Mrazek). What is your model?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Can't view the video in my region. The Red Wings have something like two 1Cs (Datsyuk/Zetterberg), two very good 3Cs (Sheahan/Helm), two impact wingers (Tatar/Nyquist), one 1D/2D (Kronwall), one 2D/3D (DeKeyser), a bunch of 4-6Ds, and two solid starter goalies (Howard/Mrazek). What is your model?

Mmm that sucks (video unviewable) ill see if i can find a text conversion.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Buttons System

3 D-men (top 3) - We have 1 Kronwall (not sure if i would qualify Ericsson or DDK as a solid top 3 D man)
2 Centers - Bingo (Z/D) not debatable really
1 Goalie - Howard (acceptable)
2 Forwards - Tatar/Nyquist (both impactful scorers - worst case Helm or Sheahan can sub in if one of these guys has a bad playoffs
1 a 4th D man... (We got that DDK / Ericsson / Quincey)

I think we are weak on D. We fit Pierre's model better.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Systems for team creation seem to me like systems for gambling...everyone's got one and almost none of them work.

If Button and McGuire had the secret formula to making successful NHL teams, they'd be employed by a team to do so.

Most of what they point out is common knowledge, having good centers and top pairing defenceman is better than not having them etc...A lot of the time the cup winners are decided by timing, health and luck as much as they are by talent at any specific position.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Systems for team creation seem to me like systems for gambling...everyone's got one and almost none of them work.

If Button and McGuire had the secret formula to making successful NHL teams, they'd be employed by a team to do so.

Most of what they point out is common knowledge, having good centers and top pairing defenceman is better than not having them etc...A lot of the time the cup winners are decided by timing, health and luck as much as they are by talent at any specific position.

You and your totally reasonable post :P

You are no fun..... but totally right :P

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
my model is to have lot of good players, good coach and bit of luck.

we have good coach, we can't control the last one and we have some good players but could use some more.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Well they don't have a secret formula, because as you say it's mostly common knowledge. Everyone knows you build down the middle with centers, defensemen, goalies. So they're "right" but they're right the same way I'm right when I say water is wet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad