News Article: How do Taxi squads change things for Habs?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'd prefer Poulin on the taxi squad if only because it would mean McNiven getting AHL starts.

Poulin is not signed to an NHL deal, so he cannot be on the taxi squad. We are at 47/50 contracts, so not much space.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Poulin is not signed to an NHL deal, so he cannot be on the taxi squad. We are at 47/50 contracts, so not much space.
True but I figure 3 open contracts and sign him until they end of the year and he becomes a UFA and that spots opens again. Not ideal but better than either McNiven or Primeau not getting starts because of being on the taxi squad.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Bergevin once traded for Dwight King, an aging Steve Ott and Andreas friggin Martinsen. There's always a team that'll want NHL depth for a playoff push, especially one that won the SC 2 seasons ago.

“NHL depth for a playoff push”

not AHL

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Heck of a lot easier to move Drouin than Gallagher. The latter contract is an absolute albatross.

By the time we get to the trade deadline, Gallagher will be all bashed up again so yeah, untradeable albatross for sure. Haha. Seems like we have several guys that fall into that category.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Drouin has not scored on the power play for the last 2 years while having good pp time.

What are we gonna about losing a guy who barely score 15 goals a season
Yeah, what about all his one-touch passes, zone entries and assists? He's a 45-60 pointer at NHL lvl.

We already have finishers like Hoffman, Toffoli and Caufield (altho 2 of them are in slumps).

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
...because Drouin is such a lamp lighter right? lol.
I watch him create key opportunities. His playmaking is absolutely elite. Sometimes, if it's not in the back of the net, it isn't his fault.

I also want him to score more goals, but it's fine either way. I understand the criticism relative to his effort and work ethic, but people need to stop faulting him for something he's not.

When I say 'score', it's an end result. An end result that can be led to by elite play making.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Yeah, what about all his one-touch passes, zone entries and assists? He's a 45-60 pointer at NHL lvl.

We already have finishers like Hoffman, Toffoli and Caufield (altho 2 of them are in slumps).
hes 45 points and his 150 turnovers to come with.
This team would be better without him in the lineup. He's just a floater , been that for 4 years and a half

Reactions: Habs13

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No team is sending the Habs an asset for Drouin.

May have a shot at getting an asset at next year's trade deadline if he's miraculously hot that late in the season.

Anyways, at least he's great for the tank.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6298607

based on article above, looks like taxi squads are coming back soon in the middle of the season.

I’m thinking this might accelerate trades of role players from non-playoff teams like us to every other team. Maybe we start seeing some movement next week with the Paquettes, And Perraults of our team.

I dont think it changes anything for us. To put Paquette and Perreault on the taxi squad, they need to clear waivers. There is no way we (or the team acquiring them) take that risk.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I dont think it changes anything for us. To put Paquette and Perreault on the taxi squad, they need to clear waivers. There is no way we (or the team acquiring them) take that risk.

What risk? Losing Paquette or Perreault is inconsequential, IMO.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What risk? Losing Paquette or Perreault is inconsequential, IMO.

The chances of them getting picked up on waivers is very high. A lot of teams are battling injuries or covid. So taking the risk of putting them on waiver is not worth it when we likely have a guaranteed late pick return at the tdl.

Reactions: frapp10

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The chances of them getting picked up on waivers is very high. A lot of teams are battling injuries or covid. So taking the risk of putting them on waiver is not worth it when we likely have a guaranteed late pick return at the tdl.

Maybe for Perreault. Paquette, not so guaranteed, IMO.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
hes 45 points and his 150 turnovers to come with.
This team would be better without him in the lineup. He's just a floater , been that for 4 years and a half
That's a fair reason to not like him for but I wouldn't talk about his 15 goals then. The problem with fanbase is that we keep criticizing players relative to something they're not. He's top 5 in pointing in our lineup.

It's like criticizing Edmunson for not scoring goals. He's not a point-producing D-man just as how Drouin isn't a natural goal scorer, but Drouin does contribute to many goals: something Habs desperately need rn.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin once traded for Dwight King, an aging Steve Ott and Andreas friggin Martinsen. There's always a team that'll want NHL depth for a playoff push, especially one that won the SC 2 seasons ago.

There was a sucker, now that he's gone there may no longer be a sucker. Not all GMs will pay to add players that will make their team worse and call it depth.

Reactions: amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad