News Article: How do Taxi squads change things for Habs?

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6298607

based on article above, looks like taxi squads are coming back soon in the middle of the season.

I’m thinking this might accelerate trades of role players from non-playoff teams like us to every other team. Maybe we start seeing some movement next week with the Paquettes, And Perraults of our team.

Jul 6, 2016
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6298607

based on article above, looks like taxi squads are coming back soon in the middle of the season.

I’m thinking this might accelerate trades of role players from non-playoff teams like us to every other team. Maybe we start seeing some movement next week with the Paquettes, And Perraults of our team.

You will have to empty our AHL team then. Why not finish the season with Paquette and Perreault. They won't make things better or worse anyway. And they are cheap and Ufa next July.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That'd be terrible for Laval as the blue line is already pretty thin and I don't want Poulin as an AHL backup with how he played this year.

I'd assume a 5 player taxi squad would be McNiven, Ouellet, Schueneman, Dea, Baddock. Of course, that's with our current injury state, so thing would shift as players return.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
That'd be terrible for Laval as the blue line is already pretty thin and I don't want Poulin as an AHL backup with how he played this year.

I'd assume a 5 player taxi squad would be McNiven, Ouellet, Schueneman, Dea, Baddock. Of course, that's with our current injury state, so thing would shift as players return.

I think the ideal way to do this is when we send players we take back minor leaguers to balance out total contracts helping laval as well.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll never understand why this board hate Drouin so much while generally not saying a word about the more worthless Hoffman.

On topic... Not much. If someone wants Paquette, you give him, taxi squad or not.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I'll never understand why this board hate Drouin so much while generally not saying a word about the more worthless Hoffman.

On topic... Not much. If someone wants Paquette, you give him, taxi squad or not.

Oh I think Hoffman sucks too... I'd trade him without hesitation.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

One has been sucking for half season the other for years and years

Reactions: Habs13

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I honestly don't think he is tradable.

Absolutely tradeable for an actual asset according to most scouts, even if that asset would be a second or third rounder at the draft.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Even with that salary? I'd be surprised to see him get traded.

Scouts were asked about some Habs players value. They weren't unanimous on Drouin, but the consensus was a second or third at the draft with no negative asset coming our way.

One scout disagreed and thought no one would trade for him, but he was also the only scout who thought Hoffman was tradeable, so we can probably totally disregard that one.

EDIT : It was in The Athletic. I'd totally trade Drouin for a second at the draft. I probably wouldn't trade him for a third though. Pure gamble that he could post interesting numbers during 22-23 and that he could fetch a bit more at the TDL.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Scouts were asked about some Habs players value. They weren't unanimous on Drouin, but the consensus was a second or third at the draft with no negative asset coming our way.

One scout disagreed and thought no one would trade for him, but he was also the only scout who thought Hoffman was tradeable, so we can probably totally disregard that one.

Interesting, either way. I wonder if he is a guy that Gorton and whomever else comes aboard consider moving. Same with Hoffman, as he's a new ink and all that stuff. I imagine we start to see the "big picture" relatively soon.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Interesting, either way. I wonder if he is a guy that Gorton and whomever else comes aboard consider moving. Same with Hoffman, as he's a new ink and all that stuff. I imagine we start to see the "big picture" relatively soon.

(I heavily edited my post by the way) Of course Gorton should be attached in any way to Drouin. But he's apparently really positive, or at least not negative, off the ice. And frankly, if he wasn't playing like he's afraid to get hurt, I wouldn't trade him. Of course, Drouin playing like he's not afraid to get hurt isn't the same player at all.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

I'd prefer Poulin on the taxi squad if only because it would mean McNiven getting AHL starts.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Probably doesn't change things much given our ridiculous LTIR situation means we're not in any real cap issues. Will be slightly nicer for the tweeners since they'll be with the NHL team the whole time instead of going back and forth.

Might slightly increases the value of some of our scrubs like eg. Paquette since a team could stash him on a taxi squad for depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad