How do scoring levels change from month to month (and why?)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
(I did this for a thread in the Leafs' forum, and thought that it might start conversation here as well...)

How do scoring levels change from month to month?

Here's something quick-and-dirty that I pulled from the game log data on my website (http://hockeygoalies.org).

These include only NHL regular season games, and do not include empty-net goals. I wanted to see if goals-against averages increased as the season progressed. As you can see from the first graph, there is an effect (if not too big of one).

Each line represents one season, which makes the graph a bit sloppy.

Of course, GAA is the product of S/60 (shots faced per game) and (one minus) SV% (save percentage on shots faced), so I did the same thing with those statistics to see which was driving it. It appears that the save percentage increase is what's causing it (graphs two and three). Shots faced actually increase slightly as the season goes along, but save percentages increase a little bit (more) as the season goes along (as goaltenders get better?). Both defense and goaltending rely upon rhythm and timing, so this seems plausible.

Actually, if you ignore October (which is really what we care about here) and April (which is a comparatively small sample), it's a pretty flat pattern:

Month | 10 | 11 | 12 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
S/60|26.0|26.1|26.1|26.2|26.3|26.1|26.3
SV%|0.897|0.900|0.899|0.899|0.899|0.900|0.905
GAA|2.98|2.91|2.94|2.93|2.95|2.90|2.76

This would obviously need to be done more rigorously for it to hold water (just to ask one question - do "top" goalies play a greater share of games in some months, and does that hide some other effects?). Anyhow...

Last edited:

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
this is interesting,

to me it looks like the first month has the highest, because players are full of energy, and are very eager to do well, everyone is at 0 points so anyone can be tops in scoring with a good streak at the start of the year, and i think players take advantage of this.

the other months are pretty consistent, obviously it can't be identical from month to month.

final month there's a huge drop because teams start to 'lock it down' and prepare for playoffs, giving top players less minutes etc. and teams that are out of it have pretty much given up and aren't motivated

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Gotta reference penalties in there somewhere. My theory is that refs call the PIMs at the beginning of the season (fresh out of their seminars), while they get "playoff ready" towards the end.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Gotta reference penalties in there somewhere. My theory is that refs call the PIMs at the beginning of the season (fresh out of their seminars), while they get "playoff ready" towards the end.

I agree. Didn't Kerry Fraser pretty much admit that they make calls depending on the score, standings, etc on one of his TSN articles.

An interference penalty 1 min into the game isn't a interference with 1 min left.

An interference penalty with two teams out of the playoffs isn't an interference penalty with two teams fighting for 8th place.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think one reason scoring is slightly higher in the first month is that teams are still playing sloppier before they get everything nailed down.

EVBetting Site

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton
I think one reason scoring is slightly higher in the first month is that teams are still playing sloppier before they get everything nailed down.

This is the belief of many coaches as well. A number of head coaches mention "30 days" as the time period that it takes for the defensive structure of a team to be put into place. Even teams known for that or with a defensive identity take this 30 days number to find their defensive team game again. Scoring is just a product of sloppy defense, while the media and fans seem to think that it really is about "creativity" or "skill" or more dictated by the offense. This is untrue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad