How do Players Become Overrated?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Here's how it happens in Toronto:

1. Get drafted

2. Have your agent (or friend who blogs) put out a stat... any stat. For example, player leads the league in xGoals recorded from the 2:35 to 3:14 mark of the second period on away games played midweek with the temperature outside the stadium between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius

3. Be on or near the ice when something good happens... once

How's how they become a scapegoat:

1. Play more than 2 seasons.

2. Play in the next drafted player's position

3. Be on or near the ice when something bad happens... once.

Probably works the same in most markets.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Winning the cup, especially if you've done it multiple times and especially if you do it while being Canadian.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
OK, real talk.

The easiest way for a player to be overrated is:

1.flourishing in a secondary/tertiary role on a top team
2.rack up points with huge minutes on a bad team

The easiest way to be undderated is:

1.get buried under super tough usage on a bad team.

Ok among the few decent posts on this thread and the majority of posts that are thinly masked insults at other teams this post by Zeke is a good one. I agree with his post and will add that a player being over rated has nothing to do with what team he plays for or what country he’s from. But i think what adds to it other then what Zeke posted above is the size of the fan base and the media covering the team. Bigger the fan base leads to more media hype & more uninformed fans hyping their teams player based off of media or un-informed opinions.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Play for Toronto or any other big market team
and......

The John Tavares check list

- Be super hyped at a young age
-1st overall pick
-play for a terrible irrelevant organization that no one hates and has no rival
-have the excuse that he gets to play with no talent.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Well... remember when Hall was the next 120 point player, Pavarri or whatever was the next Franzen, Hopkins was the next Bergeron, and Yaks the next less physical Ovechkin?

Remember how that oilers squad was going to have a cup by 2015. I remember reading that in here numerous times. Ah Oilers the new Penguins with NHL stud d men in Aulie,Smid, and Peckham with a 38 year old super star goalie...

That’s how players get overrated when overconfidence on prospects plus unfounded hope trumps basic hockey knowledge you don’t win chips without a solid backend.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
In addition to the valid reasons already discussed, I would add:
- have a big season and then get overpaid by a couple million dollars. A player who is solid at $2-$3 million per year becomes overrated at $5-$6m per year. He's still the same player he was playing for $2 million less, but expectations become much higher than he' capable of delivering on.
- be a top 5 draft pick and then fail to develop, yet the team's fan base denies the player is a bust and insists he's on course to be an elite player still.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd say the easiest way (and it's probably been said already) is to do well at the World Junior Championships or be drafted in the top 5 or top 10.

That buys you about 5 years of being a top prospect no matter what else you do.

Reactions: Sigh

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
A couple ways:

-Be the best player on a bad team (example: OEL)
-Be the best player on a team that gets a lot of media attention (example: Matthews)
-Be a good or great player who had a fantastic season a couple of years ago (example: Price)
-Be perceived as a "great leader" to compensate for not having individual accomplishments (example: Toews)
-Be a player who puts up a really high PPG , but never wins awards because of injuries (example: Crosby in 2012)
-Put up a great season as a young player, and then get crazy overhyped (example: McDavid)

Curious how he is over rated? Done nothing but exceed expectations, and Toronto media is calling him the 2nd best young player after McDavid. Some fans believe he is just as good as McDavid, and that is a whole debate itself when considering everything and not just points.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Curious how he is over rated? Done nothing but exceed expectations, and Toronto media is calling him the 2nd best young player after McDavid. Some fans believe he is just as good as McDavid, and that is a whole debate itself when considering everything and not just points.

I think you answered your own question.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A couple ways:

-Be the best player on a bad team (example: OEL)
-Be the best player on a team that gets a lot of media attention (example: Matthews)
-Be a good or great player who had a fantastic season a couple of years ago (example: Price)
-Be perceived as a "great leader" to compensate for not having individual accomplishments (example: Toews)
-Be a player who puts up a really high PPG , but never wins awards because of injuries (example: Crosby in 2012)
-Put up a great season as a young player, and then get crazy overhyped (example: McDavid)

Agreed. Some good points

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think we should ask Zaitsev.
LOL one thread about him and oh my god he's so overrated! It's play is great and he was had as a UFA. He;s deserving of one thread. He's been great. And yes, he's better than Adam Larsson who Oilers fans claim is better than anyone on the Leafs D.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kessel became a villain because of how high the draft picks that Boston received ended up being. As for Phaneuf, no on likes that guy, even fans on the team he plays for.

Kessel was hated even before Seguin was drafted.
And Ottawa fans do like Dion a lot. They just hated him when he was a Leaf and did a 180 once he got traded. Kind of like everyone who hates the Leafs on here with Kessel.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How can anyone hate Kessel? The dude looks like he eats donuts all day but is one of the best conditioned athletes in the league. Not to mention what he’s been thru medically.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How can anyone hate Kessel? The dude looks like he eats donuts all day but is one of the best conditioned athletes in the league. Not to mention what he’s been thru medically.

Are you really trying to pretend no one hated Kessel on here? From 2009-15 there was not a player criticized more.
HF almost crashed the night he was picked last in the all star game.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I find players known for "Two Way" play get very overrated. and I want to scream when I hear "Intangibles".

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Are you really trying to pretend no one hated Kessel on here? From 2009-15 there was not a player criticized more.
HF almost crashed the night he was picked last in the all star game.

I know how hated he was and it was mainly because he played for the Leafs plus the reasons mentioned earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad