How do Jr Hockey players go to school?

The Korean*

How do 16, 15 year old players go to school, when they go on road trips? surely they cannot just play on weekends?

Or they dont go to school at all?

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Yes they go to school. (Highschool)

When I played for Lewiston I attended LHS during days off. with games the school would put together work bundles for me to take. mind you the rules were not strict.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
How do 16, 15 year old players go to school, when they go on road trips? surely they cannot just play on weekends?

Or they dont go to school at all?

I know in the OHL the Majority of the games are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For games during the week, the OHL tries to schedule the games to be as close to home as possible ex. London/Kitchener is a likely mid-week game. So that they can get home the same night.

I'm sure when they can't be there work is sent along with the team, and I'm also sure that teams have some form of tutor or Educational Staff to keep the high-school aged boys doing thier work.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
I know in the OHL the Majority of the games are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For games during the week, the OHL tries to schedule the games to be as close to home as possible ex. London/Kitchener is a likely mid-week game. So that they can get home the same night.

I'm sure when they can't be there work is sent along with the team, and I'm also sure that teams have some form of tutor or Educational Staff to keep the high-school aged boys doing thier work.

you nailed it

OnlytheCH

HockeyTimes
Jun 16, 2013
Canada
Some people think that playing Major Junior that you destroy your chances of education, there are so many team based educations tools involved these days that these kids are not suffering lack of education at all.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
A little OT but, how do most older players occupy their time after graduating HS? Assuming they get day jobs, is it hard for them to find work that fits the game schedule?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
A little OT but, how do most older players occupy their time after graduating HS? Assuming they get day jobs, is it hard for them to find work that fits the game schedule?

Most do take college or university courses after high school. I believe while they are still playing in the CHL this part of their education is also 100% paid for. Then they can finish of their degree using the CHL education after their CHL days are over.
IMHO it's huge misconception that these players are not getting an education.

12Gage09

Jul 14, 2013
London
I know that London Knights go to school for a couple hours and most of them do some sort of co-op placement at the rink they play in, or somewhere else

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
heck screw being a professional hockey player making lots of money

i rather waste money on a piece of paper that will make me successful

gumby and pokey

Nov 20, 2013
PEI/PQ
It may have already been said here but some teams are ahead of the pact in Major Junior in putting a bigger focus on the player's education, including full time educational advisors/tutors and such, on staff.

jdan1997

Aug 22, 2012
I'm really curious to know myself if this is true but I heard that OHL players take 3 classes a semester and then just stick around for an extra year of high school because they'd be playing in the town anyways. Does anyone know if that's true?

FlyOil

Dec 14, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm really curious to know myself if this is true but I heard that OHL players take 3 classes a semester and then just stick around for an extra year of high school because they'd be playing in the town anyways. Does anyone know if that's true?

Never have heard this.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Quebec tried something new with Marc-Antoine Carrier last season and it was a success. He went to university full time, studying science. He never missed a game but missed the end of some practices. He maintained a 90% average and he is now studying medicine as he is done with major junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad