How do expansions work?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by TheLaughsWeKnow*, Dec 26, 2010.

1. I know they build buildings and stuff, but how are the teams able to get more players? Do they build through the draft or sign fa's from other leagues?

2. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

Expansion draft. The other teams can protect certain #/type of players. Then the one or two expansion teams can pick players from those available.

FWIW, the Sharks could not protect all the players they wanted to in the Minnesota/Columbus expansion draft, so traded a good players to those teams in exchange for not picking up some exposed players (namely a goalie named Nabokov).

3. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

For each expansion there was an expansion draft where the new teams could select players from existing teams. There were rules on how many players could be protected by each existing team, what players were exempt, and how many players had to be made available.

Besides the expansion draft, expansion teams filled out their rosters with selections from the Entry Draft and UFAs.

The Sharks (1991) expansion draft was funky - due to the deal where the Gunds (owners of the North Stars) were granted the San Jose Franchise and Howard Baldwin (who had been granted the rights by the City of San Jose to operate an NHL team in the then San Jose Arena) became part of a partnership that bought the North Stars. The Sharks got to select players from the North Stars in a Dispersal Draft and then both the Sharks and the North Stars picked in the Expansion Draft.

The expansion draft rules changed over the years - but Wiki now has summaries of each draft including rules and players selected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NHL_Dispersal_and_Expansion_Drafts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_NHL_Expansion_Draft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_NHL_Expansion_Draft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NHL_Expansion_Draft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NHL_Expansion_Draft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NHL_Expansion_Draft

How the expansion teams were treated w.r.t. their first Entry Draft also changed over time:

1991: The Sharks were given the #2 Pick (ie Not Eric Lindros) - Pat Faloon
    1992: Tampa and Ottawa were given the #1 & # 2 picks (by coin flip) - Roman Hamerik & Alexie Yashin
    1993: Anaheim and Florida were given the #4 & #5 picks (by coin flip) - Paul Kariya & Rob Niedermayer
    1998: Nashville was awarded the #2 Pick, but got bumped to #3 when the Sharks won the Draft Lottery - Tampa exercised it's right from the Bryan Marchment Trade to swap picks with the Sharks, so the original draft order was Tampa, San Jose, Nashville. San Jose traded down and swapped picks with Nashville in return for a 2nd rounder, so Nashville ended picking #2 - David Legwand
    1999: Atlanta was granted the #2 Pick and traded up with Tampa for the #1 - Patrik Stefan
    2000: Minnesota & Columbus were granted teh #2 & #3 picks, but were bumped to #3 & #4 when the Isles won the Draft Lottery - Marian Gaborik & Rostislav Klesla

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. Sidney BrOSSby*

Sidney BrOSSby* Locked in the Washer

Tea Seller, Architect
    I was wondering this, too. Personally, if my team were just getting started, I'd want to build through expansion rather than relocation. Either is fine, of course. I just don't see the point yet of building through relocation.

My question is, where would the new team draft? Is it a lottery pick, orr what?

5. Brodie

Brodie Marxist-Harbaughist

They get the first picks in the draft, except for that wonky 1993 draft

6. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

Actually, getting the #1 pick is the exception, not the rule.

Of all the 90's expansions, only once (1992) was an expansion team granted the #1 pick.

Sharks - #2 draft pick
    Tampa & Ottawa - #1 & #2 draft picks
    Anaheim & Florida - #4 & #5 draft picks
    Nashville - #2 draft lottery seeding
    Atlanta - #2 draft lottery seeding
    Minnesota & Columbus - #2 & #3 draft lottery seedings

7. Mr Atoz*

Mr Atoz* Guest

Just curious. Is a deal like that enforceable? The expansion team would probably honor it coming out of the gate not wanting to be ostracized but can you register a trade like that with the league? I'll give you this guy if you promise not to draft that guy?

8. Noldo

Noldo Registered User

I think the decision not to draft someone in expansion (or even in actual draft) could be considered "future considerations".

9. JSmith81x

JSmith81x Your weapon is guilt

Home Page:
    June 26th 1998
    - Montreal Canadiens trade C Sébastien Bordeleau to Nashville Predators for future considerations (a promise to take G Tomáš Vokoun instead of D Peter Popovic in 1998 NHL Expansion Draft)

MTL had Thibault plus Théodore coming (back) up. They protected Thibault and they lost Vokoun, which stopped them from losing a goalie in 1999 to Atlanta, so Théodore was safe the next summer.