How different would the NHL be if...

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
How different would the NHL be today if in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals instead of LA VS. Montreal and in 1994 it was New York Rangers vs. Vancouver Canucks it was: 1993 Montreal vs. Vancouver Eastern Canada vs. Western Canada & in 1994 it was the dream NHL match up of New York Rangers vs. L.A Kings Gretzky vs. Messier.

The interest in both series would have been like almost never before especially the 2 biggest American markets and 2 of the biggest stars of all time facing off head to head.

Would hockey be a more popular sport in the USA? What would the TV ratings have been? Im sure the Kings vs. Rangers would set the record which would almost certainly never be broken.

Also the 93 series of having 2 Canadian teams would have peaked interest in Canada as well and had the story line of Bure vs. Roy.

I think both Montreal and Rangers would of still won the Stanley Cup.

Thoughts??

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Maybe a bigger "what if" is McNall never owning the Kings (i.e. gets caught doing some shady crap before he ever has the chance to buy them). What happens to Gretzky? Is Bettman ever made commissioner? Does the conservative faction around Wirtz keep the upper hand?

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
How different would the NHL be today if in the 1993 Stanley Cup finals instead of LA VS. Montreal and in 1994 it was New York Rangers vs. Vancouver Canucks it was: 1993 Montreal vs. Vancouver Eastern Canada vs. Western Canada & in 1994 it was the dream NHL match up of New York Rangers vs. L.A Kings Gretzky vs. Messier.

The interest in both series would have been like almost never before especially the 2 biggest American markets and 2 of the biggest stars of all time facing off head to head.

Would hockey be a more popular sport in the USA? What would the TV ratings have been? Im sure the Kings vs. Rangers would set the record which would almost certainly never be broken.

Also the 93 series of having 2 Canadian teams would have peaked interest in Canada as well and had the story line of Bure vs. Roy.

I think both Montreal and Rangers would of still won the Stanley Cup.

Thoughts??

No offense to Pavel, or Vancouver, but that isn't much of a story line. The much more interesting scenario would have been the Leafs vs. the Habs.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
No offense to Pavel, or Vancouver, but that isn't much of a story line. The much more interesting scenario would have been the Leafs vs. the Habs.

To be honest I honestly forgot how close we came to having a Leafs and Canadiens final... I think that and then the Rangers Kings final would have brought hockey to an all time in the ratings in both Canada and the United States.. Its 2 bad as previously mentioned the lock out would of ended all momentum, however, it could have been possible that players salaries would have been higher because of the increased exposure leading to the leaving of the Flames and Oilers franchises..

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
A more interesting final in 1993 would of been Pens vs. Kings with Lemieux vs. Gretzky. A Cup final with those two would of been up there with Bird vs. Magic in the NBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad