How did you decide left or right stick handed?

SabresFreak97

Mar 20, 2006
Cheektovegas, NY
Right handed, Shoot Left. The funny part 90% of the people I play with/against are all righties. The only ones not righty are myself, cousin, and another guy. We have 21 sticks between us and to watch all our friends break their sticks is just funny.

I just felt I felt comfortable this way.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Dominant hand on bottom.

How I decided? When I decided I wanted to learn, I grabbed one of those plastic bladed street hockey sticks, bent the blade with my foot and tried it both ways. Shooting right just felt more natural to me.

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
I figured I've give an update since I started this thread. I'm definitely a lefty with a hockey stick. It's so much easier for me to handle the stick that way, which is what I thought in the first place. Thanks to all for the advice and commentary.

I purchased a bunch of gear from hockeymonkey.com, came in yesterday. I'm definitely excited about it.

24806_105639409457093_100000331028506_137504_4872788_n.jpg

The stick? A CCM U+, 85 flex, Vincent Lecavalier blade. I heard reviews about the clear piece at the bottom of the shaft coming out but I don't really see that happening though. I guess I'll find out.

Another question for the vets out there...

The shin pads I got, seem a little bit big as far as the fitment. The shin pad seems to ride a little low, almost down to the top of my foot. The side fold around behind my calf and I have to tuck one side under the other.

Is that right? It doesn't seem too loose, it's just pretty big.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
I don't know. I think it's just how your brain is wired :dunno:
I was obviously too young and don't remember how I ended up a righty, maybe it's just the way you pick it up the first time :dunno:

OprtnShtdwn

Jan 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
When I started playing hockey at first, I was also playing baseball. My first year of baseball, i batted lefty because my father made me bat left handed. He figured it would help me later on. However, I didn't want to bat left handed and after 1 year, even though i hit the ball decent for a 7 year old, i switched to batting from the right side.

When I was 9 or 10, i started playing ball hockey down the street. I had a right handed stick. Well, one day, the stick broke on me. So I didn't have a stick anymore. The only stick at my house was a left handed one, so i grabbed that, and from there, I ended up getting use to it, and now i'm a left handed shot.

Who knew that when my dad prepared me to swing left handed that he would of actually turned me into a left handed shot rather instead.

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
AFAIK If you're a Canadian farm boy, you play lefty. If you're a European diva, you're Righty. If you're an American, hold the stick like it was a baseball bat. :dunno:

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
AFAIK If you're a Canadian farm boy, you play lefty. If you're a European diva, you're Righty. If you're an American, hold the stick like it was a baseball bat. :dunno:

Well I guess I'm a Canadian farm boy... from Umericuh. :)

I do have some Canadian roots though. My dad's side of the family was from Nova Scotia. Beautiful place too... I went there once.:p:

OprtnShtdwn

Jan 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

So, i'm none of the above. lol. I hit righty, i'm not a Canadian Farm boy, and i'm not European.

I guess i'm the red headed stepchild. The Left handed shooting stepchild

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
I was just learning the game and my coach (Who was an Olympian with the US back in 56), pulled me aside after scrimmaging a shift on the left wing and honestly having no clue in terms of positioning :help:, sat me down, and explained that even though I may be a lefty at most things, I was a right handed shot. That was that as I shifted to right wing for the 6 years I played.

jphillips348

Mar 24, 2014
Trying to make sense of the reasoning... I shoot a gun/bow left handed... I write right handed... I throw right handed... I shovel left hand on bottom... I sweep right hand on bottom... Put put golf right handed... So what would be the scientific stick-handedness choice?! lol:help:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The first time I did anything remotely close to hockey was when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. My dad bought a Christmas tree and cut about an inch off the bottom of the trunk. I decided it looked like a hockey puck and since I didn't have a hockey stick, I put on my rollerblades and swept it around with a broom. I held the broom with my right hand on top and left hand on bottom, since I'm a lefty. My parents noticed my interest and bought me a street hockey stick. It was a left handed stick.

Kind of just went from there to be honest.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Trying to make sense of the reasoning... I shoot a gun/bow left handed... I write right handed... I throw right handed... I shovel left hand on bottom... I sweep right hand on bottom... Put put golf right handed... So what would be the scientific stick-handedness choice?! lol:help:

Rule of thumb, if you shoot left you have more accuracy. Shoot right for more power. In hockey schools they will teach you to shoot left as accuracy is more important

Jacques Trap*

I don't remember making a choice but I'm sure one side felt/looked right, the other side awkward.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I dont know man, i think there are tons more righthanders shooting right then left.

States is the only country to teach this way. Every other country says the proper way is for righty to shoot left and left shoot right. 60 percent of sticks sold are left handed which should be higher but parents will just assume you shoot right so buy right handed sticks. Rule of thumb is if a righty shoots left = more accuracy. Righty shoots right = more power. Canada and all countries except the States teach you to shoot the opposite that you write with. It's actually the only sport to teach you to shoot the opposite way

SpringfieldSkins

Jan 28, 2010
Springfield, VA
Man, I don't even remember starting this thread! Epic bump!

Well, for people who start playing, I ask them what way they hold a shovel. That's the same way you should hold a hockey stick. Or, whatever feels natural works as well.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Once you add both hands to the equation, there's a lot more to it than simple "dominant hand on top." I write and throw right handed. Those both involve just one hand. However, I shovel, broom, vacuum, and play pool left handed. I screw off jar lids with my left hand. I wield a cane left handed I shoot with a righty stick. For all of those reasons, I think this makes perfect sense for me. I hold my left hand on top with all of those things and it feels good to me.

When I'm in net, I catch left, therefore having to stickhandle left, (which is no good for me) but after playing baseball for six years, I just don't think I could ever catch right in net. After all, when you look at numbers, almost all goalies catch left at pretty much every level of hockey. Those numbers match up very well with handedness.

Unlike a lot of Americans, I picked up a hockey stick well before a baseball bat, so that explanation is out for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I picked up a shovel before any of that junk.

TheSilverSkeeter

Sponsor
Oct 27, 2011
STL
I'm right-handed, and I shoot right-handed. It was more of an instinct thing than a conscious decision. Right-handed just felt more natural, and it probably had a lot to do with an earlier exposure to baseball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad