Speculation: How did we do with our first two picks?

How did we do with our first two picks

• Total voters

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I feel like our First two picks are the most important impact players that we needed to hit. After the 3rd round, it gets tough to hit those picks. So with our first two, Kirby Dach and Alex Vlasic, how'd we do relative to the positions we were drafting (#3 and #43)?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I feel like our First two picks are the most important impact players that we needed to hit. After the 3rd round, it gets tough to hit those picks. So with our first two, Kirby Dach and Alex Vlasic, how'd we do relative to the positions we were drafting (#3 and #43)?
A lot of people had Vlasic as a late 1st rounder so I'm pretty happy there. Hawks need to move some of their D though. The Hawks needed size in their system so I'm pretty happy with what they've done.
Right now, the guys I'd hold on to are:
Boqvist
Joki
Beaudin
Vlasic

and the others can all go.

I think the 1st two picks were outstanding

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I’m starting to come around on Dach and Vlasic for sure fills a need. I’d say they’ve done pretty well so far

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Good.

Dach is a bit more of a gamble than I like. His skills are probably higher than Turcotte's, but his point totals this past season didn't really show that. I don't know why he struggled for a 14 game stretch, but if he's the guy he was for the rest of the season, as well as the Hlinka tourney, he'll be a very good 1C.

Vlasic's pick I feel a lot more excited about. He has question marks too, but no shit, we got him in the 2nd round. With all of our smaller defensive prospects, it's nice to have a bigger guy in that group to help balance things out. A lot of mocks had him in the 1st round, so awesome value for us.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Everyone knows my thoughts on Dach.

Vlasic is a 3rd rounder for me. I trust Kelley...but I just do not see him as BPA there.

Hawks4life

Apr 3, 2011
Everyone knows my thoughts on Dach.

Vlasic is a 3rd rounder for me. I trust Kelley...but I just do not see him as BPA there.

Yet a lot of pro scouts had him as a first? Confused as to how you think you had a better look

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Yet a lot of pro scouts had him as a first? Confused as to how you think you had a better look
I feel like Musto doesn't like players that are grindy and that aren't smooth skating players with less offensive upside.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
3rd rounder? That is very very harsh.
Okay, you're right, late 2nd.

I don't hate the guy. Just not who I'd pick. But I understand the rationale. They want a big shutdown guy which doesn't exist in the system + he's a local kid which should cool the fires a bit on not drafting Turcotte.

From my point of view, they drafted based on need here and not BPA.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

I don't hate the guy. Just not who I'd pick. But I understand the rationale. They want a big shutdown guy which doesn't exist in the system + he's a local kid which should cool the fires a bit on not drafting Turcotte.

He just has huge upside. He’s big but can move and can play. I like that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i am no band wagoner nor am i in any org .....

but for me, i know of the BPA and i do know that is subjective in general.

but for me, do not like it and Sb and co are going to try to push the envelope on breaking camp with the pro's and play in chi next season. C'mon he is going to force this pick down our throats.

now for the 2 nd rounder. good pick good defensive and big. i really like Robertson b/c he was more of a scorer but still i can live with it.

over all i think the Bhawks are stinking it up. just my guess on not getting anything else nor chatter of any sorts, for now.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I know this ... big DMen usually to a long time to develop. He probably doesn't sniff the Hawks for 3-4 years. However, if you hit ... you usually hit big.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I know this ... big DMen usually to a long time to develop. He probably doesn't sniff the Hawks for 3-4 years. However, if you hit ... you usually hit big.
Unless he's Hjalmarsson, the Hawks messed up big time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Vlasic is one of the better skaters for his size I have seen this draft..he needs time to fill out, get comfortable in his skin - has a solid outlet pass and can play physical..doesn't stand out at anything in particular but is the type of player that can round a lot of things together to become a real good player. Have some patience here, but there is a lot to like here once cooler heads think about it.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

I doubt the Hawks have ever drafted on need over BPA with any picks in the first 3 rounds. The Hawks thought Vlasic was the best player on their draft list during the draft and they also thought Dach was better than any of their options at 3. Vlasic was probably in their top 25-30. Heck, maybe they even had him in their top 20, but Bowman and Kelly know exactly what they are doing.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I doubt the Hawks have ever drafted on need over BPA with any picks in the first 3 rounds. The Hawks thought Vlasic was the best player on their draft list during the draft and they also thought Dach was better than any of their options at 3. Vlasic was probably in their top 25-30. Heck, maybe they even had him in their top 20, but Bowman and Kelly know exactly what they are doing.
Kelley said they had Vlasic going in the 1st round.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sounds like this Vlasic pick could be a steal. I like what I’m hearing.

Exactly the type of defender we need in our system, too. Let’s hope he can be NHL ready closer to 2 years rather than 4.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Supposedly there are many scouts that share mustos opinion on Vlasic.

I think pronman said there was a HUGE variance on Vlasic with scouts. Some liked him as a late 1st, others thought late 2nd early 3rd.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Fwiw I loved both our 1st and 2nd round picks.

I actually think Dach has a high ceiling but a very safe floor. Vlasic seems to have some bust potential but we needed some size on our blue line. I think he can be that premier shutdown guy. (Would pair nicely with Boqvist)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad