Czech Republic: How did the Czech Extraliga get to be a high quality league?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I assume you are talking about the other European leagues as in not KHL, SHL, Liiga or NLA? Well, I figure that having 107 722 registered hockey players and a strong hockey tradition including hockey being one of the two major team sports in the country has to do with it. Having a plethora of former good NHL players who come home to play for a bit before they retire from hockey is also rather helpful, I guess, for example Petr Nedved, Martin Straka, Robert Reichel, Martin Rucinsky, Tomas Kaberle, Radek Bonk, David Vyborny, Ales Kotalik, Josef Beranek, Jaroslav Modry, Jiri Slegr all have played or are still playing in the Czech league for a few years after retiring from the NHL. Also the geographical as well as historic and cultural proximity of Czech republic and Slovakia and the fact that the Slovak league is much weaker both playing wise and economically has meant over the years that when a Slovak player manages to put at least one very good season in the Slovak league, he is playing in Czech republic the next year. There are around 50 Slovak players in the Czech league every year and while a lot of them aren't really amounting to that much, but generally over the years there's always been at least a few of them who are high quality players by Czech league standards. This is a point only if you are asking why the Czech league is better than leagues like Slovak Extraliga or EBEL.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Extraliga has been regressing badly. Its pace is slow and it's dominated by players who were having their primes 10 or 15 years ago. Just look at this year's regular season top 10 scoring:

1. Petr Ton... 40 yrs of age

2. Jaroslav Hlinka... 37 yrs

3. Martin Růžička... 28 yrs

4. Petr Nedvěd... 42 yrs

5. Jaroslav Bednář... 37 yrs

6. Ondřej Roman... 25 yrs

7. Martin Bartek... 33 yrs

8. Jiří Polanský... 32 yrs

9. Tomáš Nosek... 21 yrs

10. Petr Leška... 38 yrs

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Extraliga has been regressing badly. Its pace is slow and it's dominated by players who were having their primes 10 or 15 years ago. Just look at this year's regular season top 10 scoring:

1. Petr Ton... 40 yrs of age

2. Jaroslav Hlinka... 37 yrs

3. Martin Růžička... 28 yrs

4. Petr Nedvěd... 42 yrs

5. Jaroslav Bednář... 37 yrs

6. Ondřej Roman... 25 yrs

7. Martin Bartek... 33 yrs

8. Jiří Polanský... 32 yrs

9. Tomáš Nosek... 21 yrs

10. Petr Leška... 38 yrs

Well, nowadays any time some young player breaks out in here, he goes out (KHL etc.) right away. Guys like Kovar, Cervenka, Sekac and others would dominate here. It was different 10-15 years ago when players like Ujcik, Moravec, Cajanek, Dopita and so on played all here at home. If it was this time, they'd be all playing KHL for sure.
I'm expecting for example Roman or Nosek going out soon too.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
The age factor in Extraliga is certainly a problem... nowadays the league seems to be filled with guys that make you say "how on earth is he still playing?" :laugh:

But obviously the best Czech talent go to NHL and KHL, and it's hard to lure in the best (of the rest) foreigners over NLA, Liiga and SHL when you don't really have that much money.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
One odd things about the Czech league is the lack of imports. Apart from some Slovaks, there are no import players. Anyone know why? Too many imports is a bad thing, but having a few in every team will boost the level of the league, as long as teams are able to pay decent money.

The age factor in Extraliga is certainly a problem... nowadays the league seems to be filled with guys that make you say "how on earth is he still playing?" :laugh:

But obviously the best Czech talent go to NHL and KHL, and it's hard to lure in the best (of the rest) foreigners over NLA, Liiga and SHL when you don't really have that much money.

From what I've understood player budgets are very similar in Extraliga as they are in Finland. Not sure why we would be able to lure them with money. Besides there's only a handful of Czechs playing in Finland.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
One odd things about the Czech league is the lack of imports. Apart from some Slovaks, there are no import players. Anyone know why? Too many imports is a bad thing, but having a few in every team will boost the level of the league, as long as teams are able to pay decent money.

From what I've understood player budgets are very similar in Extraliga as they are in Finland. Not sure why we would be able to lure them with money. Besides there's only a handful of Czechs playing in Finland.

:amazed: :amazed: ... similar as they are in Finland ??? :amazed::amazed:

I dont think so. If they were, there will be more quality. I dont know exactly, how much see a regular player (not a star) on his paycheck. Maybe 3 000 - 5000 € / month..

I saw an interesting article about EBEL League. Best ones can earn 200 000 € in season, regular players about 50 000 €/season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
:amazed: :amazed: ... similar as they are in Finland ??? :amazed::amazed:

I dont think so. If they were, there will be more quality.

I think so. Difference of quality in those leagues aren't that big and all these old guys sure aren't playing for free. I'm pretty sure Sparta, for example, would be a serious contender in Finland. Although they "lack" foreigners I think it has more to do with the mindset of the clubs than the finances because generally Czechs are quite successful at keeping their players at home. Sure, players above the league level leave but KHL aside, there are just a few who moved from Extraliga to other European leagues: Kutlak, Hlavac (although he has played in Extraliga this year), Gulas, Huml, Hubacek and that's it. Olesz, Skrbek, Plihal and Kreps didn't come back to Extraliga from NHL. No other big losses.

Players who definitely help to make a case of similarity of Czech and Finnish leagues - Rosa and Cutta sucked at home this year so they moved to play to Finland. So quality wise, these leagues are definitely close.

Sure, creation of the KHL has seriously damaged the depth of the league because Czechs seem to be very willing to move to Russia, they have a relatively shallow player pool (that's the real problem, same one for Slovaks) and they don't compensate it with foreigners like Finns do. But overall, I think finances are there, if they will successfully rebuild their junior program they will be fine.

P.S. That's how it seems to me. I have to admit, I'm really no expert when it comes to Czech hockey, they are really somewhat isolated and irrelevant to the general European hockey picture.

Babula

May 31, 2012

Slovaks are not import... In this point of view they are not, they are more as our guys. Easy to integrate. But they are still foreigners these days. In terms of increasing our junior hockey, we need a space for youngsters in Extraliga. We need all of them, we need them to stay here. because it was not so good last years. I think we have a couple of oversea players in league because some of them are on similar level for less money than Czech players want. That is why I think we do not need boost our leauge by foreigners, we need boost Czech hockey.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Although they "lack" foreigners I think it has more to do with the mindset of the clubs than the finances because generally Czechs are quite successful at keeping their players at home. Sure, players above the league level leave but KHL aside, there are just a few who moved from Extraliga to other European leagues: Kutlak, Hlavac (although he has played in Extraliga this year), Gulas, Huml, Hubacek and that's it. Olesz, Skrbek, Plihal and Kreps didn't come back to Extraliga from NHL. No other big losses.

Players who definitely help to make a case of similarity of Czech and Finnish leagues - Rosa and Cutta sucked at home this year so they moved to play to Finland. So quality wise, these leagues are definitely close.

Sure, creation of the KHL has seriously damaged the depth of the league because Czechs seem to be very willing to move to Russia, they have a relatively shallow player pool (that's the real problem, same one for Slovaks) and they don't compensate it with foreigners like Finns do. But overall, I think finances are there, if they will successfully rebuild their junior program they will be fine.

P.S. That's how it seems to me. I have to admit, I'm really no expert when it comes to Czech hockey, they are really somewhat isolated and irrelevant to the general European hockey picture.

The biggest losses are in junior hockey. Many young players are in Sweden, Austria (Red Bull), Finland etc. Current season of Extraliga is first one, what we did junior regulation. More of them stayed at home than year ago. I'm sure there is more reasons for our shallow player pool. But as a first step we need keep more kids at home. Then we can upgrade the job with them.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But as a first step we need keep more kids at home.

This is the BS I am hearing from Czech hockey federation and I see nothing more than an excuse for a failing junior program here. "Oh, big bad CHL is taking all our kids blah blah blah".

First step shouldn't be to keep kids at home, first step should be to give kids a REASON to stay at home. Sweden was in a similar situation 10-15 years before, now they have such a good junior program players from all over the Europe are coming to play there.

For example, if I were a goalie sure I would want to leave. Everyone knows and everyone sees Czechs can't develop good goalies to save their lives, their goaltending school has fundamental flaws. So why should a good goalie prospect stay there when he can just go to CHL (well, not anymore) or Sweden, get the superior coaching and play against the superior competition? And what is where to gain by forcing him to stay at home and not fulfill his potential?

Babula

May 31, 2012
First step shouldn't be to keep kids at home, first step should be to give kids a REASON to stay at home.

The reason have to be more juniors in league. Kids which deserves the chance to play with men, they need get it, despite the fact of inconsistency performance. I'm not sure, what is first step or not. I'm not an expert. But the fact is that more prospects stayed at home during current season. I think so... and I´m asking why ?

Anyway lot of people thought that junior rule is a pretty controversial. But right now it seems to will be continue... IMO

Obviously the best prospects are still leaving our development system with the exception of Hertl for example. So I think nothing is clearly bad and nothing clearly good but still matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
For example, if I were a goalie sure I would want to leave. Everyone knows and everyone sees Czechs can't develop good goalies to save their lives, their goaltending school has fundamental flaws. So why should a good goalie prospect stay there when he can just go to CHL (well, not anymore) or Sweden, get the superior coaching and play against the superior competition? And what is where to gain by forcing him to stay at home and not fulfill his potential?

I agree, for example Czech goaltending coaches entirely ruined technique of Daniel Vladar, his technique looked terrible when I saw him on Sunday.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You do have some imports, maybe not so many, but some teams have a few - a guy from NA, from the Baltics, from France, etc. Thing is they don't usually stay too long. To make room for more foreigners though you would have to change the whole system, you would have to start coaching the whole team in english, which could be a problem for the czech players. This is easier in places like scandinavia where everyone's english is at a very high level

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

I am new here, but some informations are quite surprising for me. Especially other fans view. I read the similar opinion from american fan that czechs are so much different compare to them, which is obviously very true. But I did not really catch a point what you meant by "somewhat isolated"? It is interesting because with such a disappointment with "euroleagues" attempts I thought that we all are bit isolated.

Even general european hockey picture - what I thought czech style was always closer to russian (or more precisely we feel more comfortable to play against them). Then there is Finland, Sweden, and let say Switzerland and Slovakia. So what exactly you meant with that? Different style of hockey, no informations, problems with youth development??

wow, first post:handclap:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Michal Gulasi was close to making the wch team and was one of the best defencemen in extraliga (according to their gm), and today it was announced that he will play in shl-2.

wtf. the other way around, top shler to extraliga-2 or even extraliga would never happen.

extraliga has potential to be as strong as shl imo.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Michal Gulasi was close to making the wch team and was one of the best defencemen in extraliga (according to their gm), and today it was announced that he will play in shl-2.

wtf. the other way around, top shler to extraliga-2 or even extraliga would never happen.

extraliga has potential to be as strong as shl imo.

Södertälje is in second league? Does he even know it?:)) Extraliga is bit in decline,we will see the comparison in CHL....

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He can probably make more there, lots of players play some of the season in the extraliga and then do a stint in sweden or finland to make extra money. Money is a big factor in setting the ceiling of a league obviously and czech teams just do not have a lot of it. Look at Sparta, one of the teams with a better financial situation, and they decided not to resign their top scorer Ton allegedly because they were cutting their budget.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
As an American who visited Prague a couple months ago, one thing that I found pretty startling was the immense difference in the facilities, namely between Sparta and Slavia. I first attended a Lev game at Tipsport and couldn't believe how spartan (pun intended) that arena was. It reminded me of a high school gymnasium here in the States. On the other hand, when I attended a Sparta/Slavia game at O2 Arena, I was incredibly impressed. That was a modern facility on par with most NHL stadiums.

Given that Sparta is a top team in the Extraliga, it struck me as odd that they didn't have a more modern and/or larger stadium. I also saw a layout of the Kladno stadium (but didn't get a chance to attend) and it was really small. Is the disparity of wealth that pronounced in the Extraliga? I would think that would be a factor in holding back the league.

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany
As an American who visited Prague a couple months ago, one thing that I found pretty startling was the immense difference in the facilities, namely between Sparta and Slavia. I first attended a Lev game at Tipsport and couldn't believe how spartan (pun intended) that arena was. It reminded me of a high school gymnasium here in the States. On the other hand, when I attended a Sparta/Slavia game at O2 Arena, I was incredibly impressed. That was a modern facility on par with most NHL stadiums.

Given that Sparta is a top team in the Extraliga, it struck me as odd that they didn't have a more modern and/or larger stadium. I also saw a layout of the Kladno stadium (but didn't get a chance to attend) and it was really small. Is the disparity of wealth that pronounced in the Extraliga? I would think that would be a factor in holding back the league.

I for one am glad that there are still quite a few of the "old" stadiums with a completely different atmosphere and looks out there.
Though they're getting less and less.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Sure, there's something to be said for nostalgia, but Tipsport isn't just old (and kind of dismal), but very poorly designed from a seating standpoint. The best seats are in the second section up because everything else is bleachers or standing room, and the closest seats to the ice are a good 2 meters back on the same level, so there are essentially no "on the ice" seats. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the two games I saw there, but I'll take the O2 any day. And, even worse, the Kladno stadium had seats on only one side of the stadium which is pretty weird for hockey. I live by Chicago, and I don't understand why fans cling to the nostalgia of Wrigley Field, either. Give me the modern amenities and a better view of the ice/field any day.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
O2 is a bit of an outlier. It was built because of the 2004 WCH, cost the Czech Rebublic its three or four annual budgets :)sarcasm:), has got a reputation as one of the worst recent examples of corporate welfare and generally doesn't correspond with the economic reality of our country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad