How did Ottawa get within 1 game of the Cup Final last year?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Luck.

Goaltending.

Karlsson elevating his game to an entirely new stratosphere.

Buying into the coach's system because it brought winning.

As bad as they were this season, they deserved the run they went on last season. It's crazy to think about the fall-off in just 12 months, but they definitely were worth the run they went on last season and regression was always going to happen. I don't think anyone felt it would be this severe though.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lots of HF posters seem to have a grudge or a bone to pick with the Sens, for some reason that I will never understand. And it looks like you can add certain Rangers and Bruins fans to that list after what happened last season in the playoffs. That same pretty big group of posters would have predicted the same thing this summer if the Sens had gone on another playoff run. It would have been "luck", again. And they would suck next season, again.

Did they predict that one of the most important top 6 forwards of the run, Clarke MacArthur, would not suit up for one game this season? No Sens fan did.
Did they predict that one of the main reason of the Sens success last season, their goaltending, would run them to the ground?
Did they predict that Karlsson wouldn't get his game back until about January, after a summer with no working out post-surgery?

Those are just a couple of real examples of why the Sens sucked this year, and imo it wouldn't be fair to credit those biased posters for their "predictions", because for the most part those predictions stemmed from a bias against the Sens and were fact-blind, rather than realistic projections like the ones I stated above.
don't flatter yourself. every fan on here that makes grand predictions that fall short (especially to this extent) get called out on it.

i mean, youre sitting here trying to claim you were right, and posters claiming sens would miss the playoffs were blind. then point to things like "MacArthur not playing a single game, one of the most important forwards". he's played 27 games in two seasons prior to tgis one. and he's not really all that great to begin with. if he is an important forward to your team that speaks volumes to my point. he would mean almost nothing to most of the teams that made the playoffs this year.

and you point to the underwhelming performance of your goalie. who is 36 years old.....

there were LOTS of good reasons for the sens to miss the playoffs. its no surprise, because the roster is simply not playoff caliber. its not a grudge. its just peiple seeing yiur team for what it is. time to open your eyes.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Stone and Hoffman also had off seasons. Everyone did. All I am saying is they could be within a goal of the SCF next year, then miss again the following year, and I wouldn't be too surprised. Still frustrated, though.
While I do agree with the majority of your post, Stone's 'off-season' had him on pace for 88 points in 82 games had he been healthy.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
don't flatter yourself. every fan on here that makes grand predictions that fall short (especially to this extent) get called out on it.

i mean, youre sitting here trying to claim you were right, and posters claiming sens would miss the playoffs were blind. then point to things like "MacArthur not playing a single game, one of the most important forwards". he's played 27 games in two seasons prior to tgis one. and he's not really all that great to begin with. if he is an important forward to your team that speaks volumes to my point. he would mean almost nothing to most of the teams that made the playoffs this year.

and you point to the underwhelming performance of your goalie. who is 36 years old.....

there were LOTS of good reasons for the sens to miss the playoffs. its no surprise, because the roster is simply not playoff caliber. its not a grudge. its just peiple seeing yiur team for what it is. time to open your eyes.

Wait what? Flatter myself?

I think you completely misunderstood my post. I thought the Sens would put up 100 points this season, I have no problem admitting I was wrong :laugh:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

I think you completely misunderstood my post. I thought the Sens would put up 100 points this season, I have no problem admitting I was wrong :laugh:
I say this nicely. Do you see how it is a bit odd you call people who said the sens would miss the playoffs haters but then don't call yourself a homer for predicting 100 points?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I say this nicely. Do you see how it is a bit odd you call people who said the sens would miss the playoffs haters but then don't call yourself a homer for predicting 100 points?

Never said the word "haters", just ftr.

I just admitted I was wrong... You want me to call myself a homer too? Lol, okay. Yes, I was a homer last summer. That's really not the point. The point is that during my optimism after a great run and having watched every Sens game, I wasn't able to predict that MacArthur the top 6 forward would not play 1 game for us (leaving a big hole in the lineup that was never properly filled), that Karlsson would suck for half the season, and that our goaltending would collapse.

I'm just saying that certain posters who have a strong bias against the Sens like to take credit for uninformed, negativity stemmed predictions. That's really it.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Don’t get me wrong, we exceeded expectations last year... but this season was definitely the more “anomaly-like” season.

Everyone had a down year, below their expectations.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

I just admitted I was wrong... You want me to call myself a homer too? Lol, okay. Yes, I was a homer last summer. That's really not the point. The point is that during my optimism after a great run and having watched every Sens game, I wasn't able to predict that MacArthur the top 6 forward would not play 1 game for us (leaving a big hole in the lineup that was never properly filled), that Karlsson would suck for half the season, and that our goaltending would collapse.

I'm just saying that certain posters who have a strong bias against the Sens like to take credit for uninformed, negativity stemmed predictions. That's really it.
ok fair enough. let me ask a different question. Assuming MacArthur plays next year and Karlsson doesn't get traded. Where do you see the sens next year? 80 point team? 90 point team?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
ok fair enough. let me ask a different question. Assuming MacArthur plays next year and Karlsson doesn't get traded. Where do you see the sens next year? 80 point team? 90 point team?

To be honest, I'm not comfortable making any predictions until the off-season is over. Also MacArthur is all but done.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Anderson was a huge reason they beat the Bruins, guy played out of his mind at times.

Got some pretty lucky ref breaks in that series as well.

It takes a lot of skill but also quite a bit of luck to win the cup.

also the Bruins were missing 4 of their top 6 defensemen (no Carlo, Krug, McQuaid, Colin Miller) in addition to losing Krejci

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

yes that's correct. there is no bone to pick with sens fans. the bone getting picked is the same bone that fans of every team that say silly shit get picked.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
East is a whole different beast this year than it was last year.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

okay. the guy that hasn't played in 3 years not playing left a hole????

I mean, sure, it's a big shock to the team having macarthur play 4 less games in the season than usual. but if that leaves a big hole, your team has some serious problems.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
this game is 90% players playing a system to a T.

The names on the Jersey's don't mean much as long as your playing your system.

Ottawa and Edmonton didn't buy in to that this year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
okay. the guy that hasn't played in 3 years not playing left a hole????

I mean, sure, it's a big shock to the team having macarthur play 4 less games in the season than usual. but if that leaves a big hole, your team has some serious problems.

Context is your friend.

MacArthur played every single game in the playoffs. He was a big part of the Sens' run last season. Scored an OT series winner vs the Bruins, was on the ice for a large chunk of the Sens PP goals, drew the PP in OT that led to another OT win... Without him, the Sens don't go as far as they did.

But feel free to completely ignore that and continue fulfilling your (very obvious) agenda.

Reactions: darglor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad