How Did Colorado Pass Edmonton?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Micro analysis of picks is wonderful.

But sometimes a great Gm's moves make it a wasted discussion.

Example: RNH or Landeskog

Mact traded for Perron

Post lockout results:
Landeskog 117gm 35G 82P #56fwd

Perron 128gm 38G 82P 56 fwd

17 of 23 roster positions changed.

Mgmt not willing to change roster?

#1 producing LW in the game. Mistake?

There wouldn't have been a need for Perron with Landy (though the Oilers wouldn't have picked Landy). IMO that is not where the mistake was made... the mistakes were as I said Hall over Seguin and Yak over Murray.

I know Hall is one of the best wings in the game, and is a hell of a player. Seguin is a legit franchise #1C that should flirt with 40g for the next 5-6 years. In a vacuum they are similar players, but when building a team and you don't have a #1C... you pick center over wing every single time. Many teams make mistakes by going for the wing first.

Murray over Yak is about the long-term. Murray wouldn't really make Edmonton better right now (actually IMO Yak makes them better now), but having a young defensive core of Murray, Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom, and Marincin gives real depth and a good possibility of creating a good top 4 if 3 of them pan out (Murray may never end up a #1, but is a near lock to be a solid top pairing player... the type of prospect Edmonton lacks).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But Murray's just not nearly as talented as yak. When you're picking that high you take the highest talent regardless of fit or need and then making trades to create a better balance.

And if they had any balls they would've traded Eberle for someone like Gudbranson by now, to give them that young defensive depth with nurse, Klefblom and Marincin, while also not pushing it so far into the future, cause those forwards need help from their dmen now. Otherwise they'll keep learning the same bad lessons over and over.

That's why their biggest mistakes have been sitting on their hands and hoarding their beloved kids, not providing those kids with good veterans to learn how to play good hockey and not just get nice stats, and coaching to stay consistent in reinforcing those same lessons. Three major problems that result in a team that's so much worse than It's talent and is nearing the point of no return in regards to squandering said talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
But Murray's just not nearly as talented as yak. When you're picking that high you take the highest talent regardless of fit or need and then making trades to create a better balance.

And if they had any balls they would've traded Eberle for someone like Gudbranson by now, to give them that defensive depth, while also not pushing it so far into the future, cause those forwards need help from their dmen now. Otherwise they'll keep learning the same bad lessons over and over.

IMO it is one or the other... pick the player that fits, or pick the player that is BPA and make the nessesary moves. I'm not a BPA sort of person though. If you were picking BPA, Landy was probably the 4th-6th best player in the draft based on talent, but had massive intangibles and fit.

Also, I don't think Yakupov was the BPA in the draft. To me that was easily Galchenyuk, even with the injury.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well workethic, learning speed, physicality, defensive prowess, versatility, etc. are all part of talent in my eyes. I use that word and skill very differently...most of the time...so I fully believe Landeskog was the second biggest talent in that draft, though others had more raw skill.

I've just never been that overwhelmed by Galchenyuk while I see everything in yak that you could dream to find in a nifty and dynamic goal scorer. If he were just Landy sized he'd be the perfect goal getting winger, but with his skating niftiness, being so low to the ground isn't even too much of an issue. If I had any faith in their ability to properly develop these kids I'd have a hard time predicting Dutchy and ROR to stay superior to a duo of yak and draisaitl...if...

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
You can't compare those two at all though seeing as Landeskog is infinitely better than Perron in literally everything else, so the fact that they can put up the same amount of points is a bonus for us. Physicality, two-way play, leadership, Landeskog does it better. There is no comparison to be made. Points aren't everything. In fact. it's part of the reason the Oilers are where they are, because of misleading statistics from Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, etc

Not hear to piss on your site.

You guys are talking about a team that was 74% different.

The Gm who created a cup structure in 13 months kept 6 players.

Picked 6 to keep.
Petry top 40 box protect d
#1 LW
#8 RW
2 time top 26 center 18 and 20
1 time top 30 goal scorer
1 time top 15 pt D

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
There was no veteran depth to keep them off.
Mackinnon was on the team cause he increased the top 90 depth on the team to the best in the league.

Same reason he gives COL the same top 90 depth in the game.
SJS. 3 top 30. 5 top 90
CHI 2 top 30. 5 top 90
EDM. 2 top 30. 5 top 90
COL 1 top 30. 5 top 90

Playing a 6'2" 215 lb in between the #23 EVG wing and the #90 EVG wing.

Wrecking him?

Colorado has one top 30 forward and Edmonton has two? Surely that's a typo.

Edit: PS, type understandably please. I have no idea what most of the rest of your posts even say.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They just say that because the oilers wingers put up points it's actually not a problem that they cherry pick, suck defensively when they aren't cherry picking, and wilt to physical play. As though Perron, Eberle and Purcell are what you need to help a team that already has hall, RNH, yak and draisaitl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad