How did Bobby Ryan fall so much?

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
He was so good on the Ducks, I remember thinking to my self he could be the replacement for Perry one day. He was traded to Ottawa which seemed like a steal for the Sens at the time. Its been about 5 years going on to year six and we haven't ever seen the magic he had with the Ducks. What happened? Did he get too caught up in Gongshow or did all the hand injures destroy his game?

Reactions: Kronner55

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don’t even think he’s that bad of a player. His underlying numbers are actually quite decent. I’d take him on my third line if he was bought out.

Reactions: AnimalFear

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It was very obvious he was at the beginning of a sharp decline as his career progressed with the Ducks. Ducks made a great move to get something in return and not pay him that awful contract.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He played with Getzlaf and Perry and had even some chemistry with them so he looked better than he actually was.

Reactions: Dala

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He's falling down a lot less these days, is that what you meant?
Seriously, he's just a decent player at this point. He makes the same poor decisions all the time (blocking shots with his hand, his moult-injured hand, during preseason play...) and he's apparently stubborn about his gloves not being changed too much, which leafs to more hand injuries.
He isn't particularly quick on his skates though, but he's not super suited to an along the boards game.
He's just...meh. I'm expecting him to miss about 30-40 games this year due to injury, then next year we'll hear how he stepped it up in pre-season.

I'm sure he's a super guy to have around, but it's become tiresome at this point.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
hes got a nasty set of mitts and thats about it

He also has a pretty good hockey mind. The details in his game are very good. Skating and hand injuries have held him back. Hopefully he can string a healthy season together still a player who should be capable of putting up 20g/30a.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Through 13-16 with the Sens, Bobby Ryan had around the same PPG as he did in his last 2 seasons with the Ducks (between 0.65-0.7).

So basically he didn't lose any magic in Ottawa he hadn't already lost in Anaheim.

Like we saw in 16-17 playoffs the things that make him good are still there, but the injuries and i would say lack of drive to be at his best have hurt his play the last couple years.

I remember back in 08-09 when he was supposed to basically be a lock to make the team, the organization decided to start him in the minors which he wasn't happy about. Then he got called up relatively early in the year and never looked back. That young mans hunger to prove himself and playing with prime Perry/Getzlaf brought the best out of Ryan, but in the end when he lost both of those things he proved to be a 2nd line winger and nothing more. Nowdays he's probably not even that with the injuries adding up.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It all started when he broke two fingers while signing his extension contract. After that it's been a downhill trend of bad luck. Cuts himself shaving - out 4-6 weeks. Watched a scary movie - day-to-day with trauma. Accidentally swallowed toothpaste while brushing his teeth - needs emergency surgery on his stomach.

So the real reason is instead of getting better all these years he has spent it just trying to get healthy and has been left behind by the rest of the star guys in the league.

Reactions: AnimalFear

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Getzlaf being on his line inflated his numbers a bit then the game kinda just passed by him the last couple of seasons. Still a decent player but no where near a 7 million dollar player.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He was so good on the Ducks, I remember thinking to my self he could be the replacement for Perry one day. He was traded to Ottawa which seemed like a steal for the Sens at the time. Its been about 5 years going on to year six and we haven't ever seen the magic he had with the Ducks. What happened? Did he get too caught up in Gongshow or did all the hand injures destroy his game?

I don't know that this was an opinion shared by a lot of Anaheim fans.

Ryan was in a very favorable environment in Anaheim, and even with that being the case, he was a source of frustration at times. Even with the skating issues, he was never lacking in talent, but there were effort and consistency issues(which was very probably a result of his effort issues). When he played with an edge, and intensity, he could be up there with Perry, but that just wasn't something we saw enough of.

I had no issues with moving him, and I think a lot of us in Anaheim felt it needed to happen because the alternative was going to be a very expensive contract that I'm not sure most of us were comfortable seeing him get.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Through 13-16 with the Sens, Bobby Ryan had around the same PPG as he did in his last 2 seasons with the Ducks (between 0.65-0.7).

So basically he didn't lose any magic in Ottawa he hadn't already lost in Anaheim.

Like we saw in 16-17 playoffs the things that make him good are still there, but the injuries and i would say lack of drive to be at his best have hurt his play the last couple years.

I remember back in 08-09 when he was supposed to basically be a lock to make the team, the organization decided to start him in the minors which he wasn't happy about. Then he got called up relatively early in the year and never looked back. That young mans hunger to prove himself and playing with prime Perry/Getzlaf brought the best out of Ryan, but in the end when he lost both of those things he proved to be a 2nd line winger and nothing more. Nowdays he's probably not even that with the injuries adding up.

There is a lot of truth to this. He was always at his best when he played with a chip on his shoulder; with something to prove.

Reactions: Goldeneye

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Lots of talent but he’s soft and lacks drive. He was sheltered on the Ducks, behind Getzlaf and Perry.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Lots of talent but he’s soft and lacks drive. He was sheltered on the Ducks, behind Getzlaf and Perry.

Wat. Did you not watch the 2017 playoffs?

No to mention the biggest reason for his decline is hand injuries from pucks hitting him because he crashes the net harder than any other player on the Sens.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

He was never really all that good. he was just on a line with Perry and Getzlaf.

Not that he was terrible. He was just a decent winger who had two of the best linemates in the league. In his last year in Anaheim he got pulled from that line and his scoring dropped heavily. anaheim dumped him and tried to sell high, especially before he got to contract time.

he's a 50 to 60 point winger without those two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Robson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad