How close is Chase Utley to the Hall of Fame?

Is Chase Utley a Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
With Chase Utley announcing his retirement at the end of the season, I went into the numbers to look at a potential HoF case.

Chase Utley Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Chase Utley » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

.276/.358/.466 slash
1880 hits
1100 runs
259 home runs
1025 RBI
153 stolen bases
6x All-Star
4x Silver Slugger
1x World Series Ring
3x MVP Top 10 (although his highest finish was 7th)
63.2 fWAR (2nd among primary 2B)
65.6 bWAR

I know that the counting stats aren't there, but he was one of the best at his position during his prime. For what it's worth, his bWAR is currently* higher than Craig Biggio's.

*Will probably go down if he plays more

I say Hall of Very Good, but the standard for HoF second basemen has to go down in my opinion. The dinosaurs who vote will probably say no way because his counting stats suck.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He wouldn't be the worst 2B in the HOF that's for sure. he has a 10 year span where he was absolutely dominat. Having a bit of a late start to his career hurts him a bit with the counting numbers. He hasn't been much a player for the last 5 seasons. Just an insanely high 10 year peak for him. Sort of Andruw Jones-esque althoug he had some decent seasons in the back 9 of his career.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not close. Doesn't have the offensive numbers, never led the league in any stat, no personal postseason awards, no MVPs.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
He is a hall of fame caliber player. Whether he gets in is another story. From 2005 to 2009 he was over 7 wins (fWar) each year. Altuve's season according to fangrapsh's would be Utley's 4th best season. Had he not broke his hand in 2007 and missed a month, he would have won the MVP over his teammate Rollins. I don't think people understand how good he was.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He is a hall of fame caliber player. Whether he gets in is another story. From 2005 to 2009 he was over 7 wins (fWar) each year. Altuve's season according to fangrapsh's would be Utley's 4th best season. Had he not broke his hand in 2007 and missed a month, he would have won the MVP over his teammate Rollins. I don't think people understand how good he was.

As good as Utley was offensively, Altuve is better. Altuve's 3 best seasons are 160/151/145 wRC+. Utley's 150/145/141.

Reactions: Voight

darko

Feb 16, 2009
65 WAR is a hall of famer. You have guys with much worse stats in the hall.

So because we've been lowering the standards each year we should keep on doing it? There are worse players already in HOF is not a good argument at all.

Utley was a very good player with a great peak. Short peak however. Very good player but not HOF worthy.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So because we've been lowering the standards each year we should keep on doing it? There are worse players already in HOF is not a good argument at all.

Utley was a very good player with a great peak. Short peak however. Very good player but not HOF worthy.

That's not what I said. Utley should be in the Hall because he has the numbers of a hall of famer.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
"Lowering the standards" is maybe applicable to the induction of Jack Morris. Utley has comparable career WAR to Robbie Alomar.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
"Lowering the standards" is maybe applicable to the induction of Jack Morris. Utley has comparable career WAR to Robbie Alomar.

Another player who I don't think should be in HOF.

Expecting bit of backlash on Alomar in 3,2,1 ....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As great as the Phillies 2005-2011 core was, neither of their star infielders will make it.

The BBHOF voters are notoriously picky, I don't like his chances.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
With Chase Utley announcing his retirement at the end of the season, I went into the numbers to look at a potential HoF case.

Chase Utley Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Chase Utley » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

.276/.358/.466 slash
1880 hits
1100 runs
259 home runs
1025 RBI
153 stolen bases
6x All-Star
4x Silver Slugger
1x World Series Ring
3x MVP Top 10 (although his highest finish was 7th)
63.2 fWAR (2nd among primary 2B)
65.6 bWAR

I know that the counting stats aren't there, but he was one of the best at his position during his prime. For what it's worth, his bWAR is currently* higher than Craig Biggio's.

*Will probably go down if he plays more

I say Hall of Very Good, but the standard for HoF second basemen has to go down in my opinion. The dinosaurs who vote will probably say no way because his counting stats suck.

Hall of Very Good.

Long story short, if you wouldn't put in Pedroia, then you cant put in Utley.

Pedroia:

MVP
ROY
Silver Slugger
4x Gold Glove, and Wilson DPOY
2x World Series

Pedroia was a better contact hitter, Utley had more power.

I dont think either gets in. You really have to be special to get in with less than 2,000 hits

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hall of Very Good.

Long story short, if you wouldn't put in Pedroia, then you cant put in Utley.

Pedroia:

MVP
ROY
Silver Slugger
4x Gold Glove, and Wilson DPOY
2x World Series

Pedroia was a better contact hitter, Utley had more power.

I dont think either gets in. You really have to be special to get in with less than 2,000 hits

I think Pedroia would easily get in if he stayed somewhat healthy for all of those years.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Borderline for me. Guy had a very good career but don't know if he did enough to get in the Hall of Fame.

He had a 6-year peak where he averaged about 8.5 WAR/162 GP. Since WW2 only Jackie Robinson and Joe Morgan have higher peaks at 2B with Rod Carew about neck-and-neck.

His career WAR is basically the same as Alomar/Sandberg/Biggio.

He was the best player on a WS champion.

He absolutely belongs in the BHOF but the voters will probably screw it up because he doesn't have enough hits.

Reactions: Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Voters look at advanced stats more than they used to, so Utley might get in.

Pedroia has that MVP, but advanced stats don't support the argument that he was more dominant than Utley. Even in his peak. Regression/injuries in his 30s hurt his candidacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad